Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Food & Cooking Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2023 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Lack of pudding suggestions on this thread. No sweet tooths aming us? We appear to be  forun of fish/meat eating , beer and wine drinkers!Wink
Sweet tooth here. I mentioned Sean Hill’s Orange Cake - iirc it has a couple of days soaking up some glorious orange liqueur reinforced juice (could be wrong).

I’m a big fan of the Café Gourmand when eating out in France. You get a smaller version of each dessert on the menu so lots of fun and saves time agonising over which to choose.

Thats the boy eat the lot.!!!!
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2023 at 7:52am
Having a chinese selection this Friday. Using my mother in law's recipe for marinaded slow cooked spare ribs to accompany a selection of other dishes which are sourced locally - salt & pepper squid & prawn toast from Castell Howell & crispy duck with pancakes and hoisin sauce from Sainsburys. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2023 at 7:53am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Thinking of investing in a small smoker later this year.

I think I may have mentioned previously we have had a Weber smoker for about 4 years. Great tool. if I can offer any advise feel free to ask. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2023 at 7:55am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Thinking of investing in a small smoker later this year.

I think I may have mentioned previously we have had a Weber smoker for about 4 years. Great tool. if I can offer any advise feel free to ask. 

Great to know, will definitely be messaging you! Thanks
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2023 at 7:55am

Lack of pudding suggestions on this thread. No sweet tooths aming us? We appear to be  forun of fish/meat eating , beer and wine drinkers!Wink

Im very much a savoury toothed person. Give me a good cheeseboard after dinner over a pudding.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2023 at 4:33pm

I am the starter/main course man mainly my wife is excellent at puds. Her white chocolate, raspberry & coconut cheesecake is superb with gluten free digestives for the base so that our gluten intolerant girls can indulge. 
That does sound a great dessert.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2023 at 4:36pm

Im very much a savoury toothed person. Give me a good cheeseboard after dinner over a pudding.
I love a cheeseboard prior to dessert, as is customary in France. So many good cheeses and the temperature is key. A cold brie (for example) has much less appeal than a good runny (ish) one.

Also, often find that the worse/smellier the cheese the better it tastes.

Interesting, too, to see how white wines (even some sweet with certain cheeses) often go better than the traditional red.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 14 February 2023 at 4:38pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 8:55am

I love a cheeseboard prior to dessert, as is customary in France. So many good cheeses and the temperature is key. A cold brie (for example) has much less appeal than a good runny (ish) one.

Also, often find that the worse/smellier the cheese the better it tastes.

Interesting, too, to see how white wines (even some sweet with certain cheeses) often go better than the traditional red.

I'm with you on the brie and the smelly. Had the smelliest & runniest cheese I have ever had on a river boat holiday in France a few years ago. Delicious. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 9:18am
My socks got blamed for some cheese our friends had bought in Guernsey prior to boarding the ferry apparently I was a total embarrassment 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 1:01pm
Big shout out to Rob McCusker’s Humble Coffi on Maes-y-Coed next to the Co-op near Sandy Lane Premier Inn. 

Went there for breakfast this morning. Rob was serving and looking after all the folk. About 20-25 folk in there and almost all eating. The food was superb. The Welsh Breakfast with cockles and bacon, laver bread oatcake, egg, bacon, sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes on sourdough toast. The burger was given top marls by EOjr too.

The coffee was excellent. Capuccino and double espresso both top quality and taste. Service great and a lovely atmosphere there.

Evenings involves tapas and apparently that’s really good too, although for another trip.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 7:32am
Menu this weekend includes slow cooked spiced Lamb shanks, fish pie & pork & chorizo cassoulet. Anyone who can add to my efforts are welcome. Considering the wine ladder for these so am waiting for Eastern Outpost & RR 1972 to offer their suggestions ( not forgetting Lofty of course). 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 8:15am

Menu this weekend includes slow cooked spiced Lamb shanks, fish pie & pork & chorizo cassoulet. Anyone who can add to my efforts are welcome. Considering the wine ladder for these so am waiting for Eastern Outpost & RR 1972 to offer their suggestions ( not forgetting Lofty of course). 

A nice good Bordeaux would do the trick there. Nice acidic white for the fish pie.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 8:18pm

A nice good Bordeaux would do the trick there. Nice acidic white for the fish pie.
That’s a tasty menu lined up well in advance. Top planning.

For the fish pie, having seen you appreciate the quality of the 9-3 Sauvignon on Saturday that might well do the trick. Pomerol and lamb go nicely together, although might depend on the level of spicing.

As a matter of interest, with what food would you pair the 1872 Scarlets red?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 9:36pm
I purchased a defintion pauliliac for friday , thinking of pairing it with lamb mash  mint sauce gravy and peas. Followed by a very berry cheescake from m and s. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 9:37pm

Big shout out to Rob McCusker’s Humble Coffi on Maes-y-Coed next to the Co-op near Sandy Lane Premier Inn. 

Went there for breakfast this morning. Rob was serving and looking after all the folk. About 20-25 folk in there and almost all eating. The food was superb. The Welsh Breakfast with cockles and bacon, laver bread oatcake, egg, bacon, sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes on sourdough toast. The burger was given top marls by EOjr too.

The coffee was excellent. Capuccino and double espresso both top quality and taste. Service great and a lovely atmosphere there.

Evenings involves tapas and apparently that’s really good too, although for another trip.
sounds a cracking breakfast that
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2023 at 7:17am

That’s a tasty menu lined up well in advance. Top planning.

For the fish pie, having seen you appreciate the quality of the 9-3 Sauvignon on Saturday that might well do the trick. Pomerol and lamb go nicely together, although might depend on the level of spicing.

As a matter of interest, with what food would you pair the 1872 Scarlets red?

Creature of habit EO - shopping Thursday so menu pretty set in advance. The 9-3 would accompany the fish pie superbly. As for the 1872 Scarlets merlot I think it would do justice to lamb as the spicing is very subtle but I think it would probably go with the cassoulet best. It certainly went down a treat on Saturday with my roast lamb.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
  Share Topic