Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Food & Cooking Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 19>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2023 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Menu this weekend includes slow cooked spiced Lamb shanks, fish pie & pork & chorizo cassoulet. Anyone who can add to my efforts are welcome. Considering the wine ladder for these so am waiting for Eastern Outpost & RR 1972 to offer their suggestions ( not forgetting Lofty of course). 

A nice good Bordeaux would do the trick there. Nice acidic white for the fish pie.
That’s a tasty menu lined up well in advance. Top planning.

For the fish pie, having seen you appreciate the quality of the 9-3 Sauvignon on Saturday that might well do the trick. Pomerol and lamb go nicely together, although might depend on the level of spicing.

As a matter of interest, with what food would you pair the 1872 Scarlets red?

Creature of habit EO - shopping Thursday so menu pretty set in advance. The 9-3 would accompany the fish pie superbly. As for the 1872 Scarlets merlot I think it would do justice to lamb as the spicing is very subtle but I think it would probably go with the cassoulet best. It certainly went down a treat on Saturday with my roast lamb.
Thanks for that. Sounds a super plan. Sporting Wines are often very good at quick deliveries especially for new members.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 22 February 2023 at 12:38pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2023 at 5:31pm
Been in Cairo this week. I'm not a massive fan of Lebanese food but some of the street food down in the old city suburbs ( Maadi in this case) is smashing.
Found it when I lived there in late noughties, and it's still good now.
Manaqish - minced lamb, cheese and a spice mixture (too many to pinpoint) on pita bread,. Hot or old.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2023 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Been in Cairo this week. I'm not a massive fan of Lebanese food but some of the street food down in the old city suburbs ( Maadi in this case) is smashing.
Manaqish - minced lamb, cheese and a spice mixture (too many to pinpoint) on pita bread,. Hot or old.
Sounds great. 

There are plenty of Comptoir Libanais in London and we enjoy calling in there whenever the chance arises. The one in Broadgate was shut last time we went there. Hope it was just temporary.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 6:49am

I'd be a bit careful eating old food in Cairo Wil - just saying like - stomach like a camel's armpit.LOL
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Sounds great. 

There are plenty of Comptoir Libanais in London and we enjoy calling in there whenever the chance arises. The one in Broadgate was shut last time we went there. Hope it was just temporary.
the variety of food in london is incredible camden market has all sorts of open air food stalls and if you walk the lengthh of kilburn high road youll see all of the world on 1 street, croydon must be the jerk chicken capital of the uk!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 9:04am
Went with my wife's favourite for the fish pie little black pigs Australian pinot grigio - tasty. having a friend visit from over the border for the England game and followed by the cassoulet. He is bringing a "nice" red. making a start on the cassoulet soon. 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2023 at 10:13am

Went with my wife's favourite for the fish pie little black pigs Australian pinot grigio - tasty. having a friend visit from over the border for the England game and followed by the cassoulet. He is bringing a "nice" red. making a start on the cassoulet soon. 
Cassoulet is a lovely, hearty dish and ideal for cooler days. In some parts of France, they say it’s traditional to keep a big pot of cassoulet on the go all the time, topping up as required. Possibly countryside legend.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 12:54pm
Slow-cooked grey squirrel getting a mention on the Jeremy Vine show. More tender than rabbit, apparently.

Worth a try if any can be found from reliable sources.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 2:32pm
https://www.wildmeat.co.uk/  These guys are all over it.  Our friends in the travelling community are big fans of it. Not sonething i have  tried myself
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

https://www.wildmeat.co.uk/  These guys are all over it.  Our friends in the travelling community are big fans of it. Not sonething i have  tried myself
How kind! A supplier about 45 mins from us.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2023 at 7:18am
Menu for the weekend - seafood chowder with crusty bread, pot-roast pheasants with fino & porcini & slow cooked shoulder of lamb roast dinner. Think another bottle of little black pigs pinot grigio with the chowder and I have an Australian cabernet sauvignon ( 14%) lurking on the rack which should do nicely for the pheasants/lamb. 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2023 at 7:34am
Sounds good, GPR. We’re probably salmon somehow on Saturday and a roast chicken on Sunday. Wine pairings to be sorted last minute. All hopefully on the back of a Scarlets win in Cork to make the weekend go with a large smile.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2023 at 8:08am
Boys, for an extraordinary food and wine experience, come to Sicily..
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2023 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

Boys, for an extraordinary food and wine experience, come to Sicily..

Now thats what we need - International involvement alongside our African correspondent. Visited Sicily - Taormina - many years ago. Delicious food & wine. Get the recipes flowing Mr Ian. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2023 at 8:24am

Menu for the weekend - seafood chowder with crusty bread, pot-roast pheasants with fino & porcini & slow cooked shoulder of lamb roast dinner. Think another bottle of little black pigs pinot grigio with the chowder and I have an Australian cabernet sauvignon ( 14%) lurking on the rack which should do nicely for the pheasants/lamb. 
I hope you've made enough for the valet's skullery staff and the gamekeeper Gar Wink
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2023 at 8:35am
Haven't eaten a proper plateful of food since getting a bug in Portugal last Weds so low key food for me this weekend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 19>
  Share Topic