Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Landlord nightmare Wales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Landlord nightmare Wales
    Posted: 16 February 2023 at 4:01pm
https://rentsmart.gov.wales/Uploads/Downloads/00/00/01/73/DownloadFileEN_FILE/Renting-Homes-Course-Handbook-01.12.22.pdf

In addition to 2 licenses, insurance, boiler/electrical/gas certificates repairs maintenance
The welsh assembly has gone to war with private landlords with the most biased impossible contradictory set of laws since boris party rules
apparently landlords cant go in but they can they cant they can they cant
in the end they cant

I dare anyone to try and read the additonal 100 pages of rules on landlords in wales
Not 1 single word in it about tenant responsibilities

Absolute madness

End result....Destroyed properties endless legal battles, illegal sublets, drug dens, the end of private houses rented to anyone on housing benefits as landlords have zero protection..They cant even enter their own property with out an injunction from a judge in any situation...Look out for endless housing disasters, gas leaks, fires, violence, drugs the usual and more homelessness

The politics of envy at work again..Its communism by any other name trying to force punish landlords and make their lives a living hell....
sir duckling tuft
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 6:05pm
Sell the houses and bank the money 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 7:10pm
Are you a good landlord or are you an arsehole landlord ....genuine question ...I have had experience of both in the past 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 7:35pm
I'd like to think I'm ok, although with recent legislation it does mean it's very much leaning towards a tenants market once you get in to a property (getting past all the checks and protocol's to become a tenant is not so easy these days mind).

As a LL, this year I've paid 400 pounds per property to ensure I remain compliant with the new law that stipulates all smoke alarms must be linked to the mains. Added wall mounted carbon monoxide monitors at 80 pounds a pop, also mandatory.

All the tenancy contracts have now had to be re-written (stipulated) - it's best to get it done professionally at about 75 pounds each.

I only let to local people, and haven't raised any rents in 4 years.

All my tenants are in various degrees of arrears, and I get it, there's a cost of living crisis.
I'm happy to work something out, however the tenants are, or at least project the feeling to me that they are, fairly well insulated from what a LL's actions can be, so chose not to communicate. That's a shame, but such is life.

I've just completed the sale of one property, and yes I had to spend 2,000 pounds to make good the property after a tenancy departed. Still get CCJ's and chasers relating to that tenant. Again unfortunate.

Pretty sure I will bail on the others as soon as practical.
Not sure how that helps out the housing challenges I read about in my areas, but it's really not a viable option to try to maintain a rental portfolio with the obligations stacked against you, and a tenant population that feel immunized from the basic terms of a tenancy.

I'm sure there are stacks of unscrupulous LL's out there, and they provoke the rule changes I guess.

Edited by Wil Chips - 16 February 2023 at 7:40pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 8:03pm
All tenancy  agreements  min 6 months (a bind for somevtenants to who just need a short term stay)then another  6 months notice, it’s a year even if a tenant defaults one month in tbh ive let mine via air bnb / short term holiday lets with an agent now.  If you want a good tip clearsprings who do the asylum seeker lets are offering 5 year contracts, good payers to. Driving lamdlords into sales will mean less not more houses to rent , making rents will imcrease not decrease and people will find it harder to rent houses. The exact opposite of what these rules are designed to, the road to hell is paved with good intentions as they say

Edited by RR1972 - 16 February 2023 at 8:08pm
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Are you a good landlord or are you an arsehole landlord ....genuine question ...I have had experience of both in the past 
were you a good tenant or a pain in the baxkside tenant who thought it was great to smash the house up default on rent and annoy the neighbours? I have had experience of bothWink
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 8:13pm
Is it better to go through an agency or try and save money by doing everything yourself
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Is it better to go through an agency or try and save money by doing everything yourself
good agent saves you time, do all the checks  get ckeaners in and tradesmen in when needed and ensure no gap between tenants. It costs but for me it’s worth it. I’ll prob sell mine (only got two i’m hardly a propery tycoon)
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 9:27pm
It's what my brother in law does with his properties...he said the benefits out weighed the negatives 
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2023 at 10:59pm
Brother in law is a landlord...owns most of Gorseinon....his head is fried with the new legislations.

On another note I was an excellent tenant ...on another note there are crap landlords..swings and roundabouts 
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2023 at 12:32am
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Brother in law is a landlord...owns most of Gorseinon....his head is fried with the new legislations.

On another note I was an excellent tenant ...on another note there are crap landlords..swings and roundabouts 

No swings anymore it's 100% loaded against landlords 
Honestly it's the most disgusting legislation I've ever seen
Look out for drug dens, illegal subletting, overloading houses, vermin, and house flats going up in flames....100s of council flats were razed to the ground in Llanelli in the past 3 yes...all destroyed by tenants...it's in the interests of landlords to maintain their asset, their houses...it's not in the interests of tenants who are not accountable for anything...stolen rents, damage, years of stress and legal battles all on the landlord....
There is literally no law that allows a landlord into his own property if his tenant doesn't allow it....eve no damage, 1000s of rent arrears, rats, even flood and fires you cant go in without a £1500 injunction 
No one in govt cares as long as they bash landlords for cheap votes and soundbites that sound good on TV but create a living hell in reality...exactly what this former great town has become 

Edited by roy munster - 17 February 2023 at 12:33am
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2023 at 8:52am
Interesting piece on BBC TV News this morning about Lou Macari and his help for the homeless. Worth searching and catching up on. 

He says his worst opponent is drugs, in terms of his work to help his folk transitioning from sleeping rough to having an address and getting back into society.

Never been a landlord and no desire to do so. It’s fine when you’ve got great tenants that pay the rent on time, look after your property etc. However, all you need is the tenant from hell and you end up having to devote so much time, energy and expense.

For those that have more energy and appetite for that and do it properly, I take my hat off.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2023 at 8:56am
Are there any Tennant's of Roy's flats posting on here , we need to hear both sides of this story , my brother in law doesn't seem to have the same issues and concerns that you are raising ...Do you lease out through a 3rd party agency , as this costs a bit but it takes the pressure off the landlord , having to do deal with all the issues mentioned ....if you want contact details for the 3rd party company ..let me know and I can send you the details ....by the sound of it , it looks like your best option 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2023 at 9:11am
There's no money in renting out houses now sadly. The landlord who rented out the house next to us has his house gutted. Tenants took everything out that wasn't theirs including white goods - he's sold it now & the new owner said it's going to take 6 months of work just to get it looking good enough to think about moving in.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2023 at 10:35am
I think these are extreme cases, but I do recognize that in 2022 I realized just about 40% (net) from the gross rent. I anticipated about 70-75% as a sensible ROI.

Agents fees about 15%
Mandatory upgrades/contracts 13%
Mandatory certifications - 6%
Building insurance - 4%
Repairs and maintenance - 10%
Rent owed/arrears (rolling average) - 12%
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2023 at 10:47am
It's not something I'd ever want to get into personally. If someone sets up rental accomodation as their business and does so reputably for a fair price, I've nothing against that on a personal level but I do believe that the State ought to be providing a great deal more in terms of quality social housing. There are disreputable landlords and there are bad tenants. In any business transaction, surely both parties should enjoy fair legal rights. There is a balance to be struck of course. The WG is far from perfect but there is a small proportion of the Welsh public who seem to portray them as the Devil's armpit. Seems a bit OTT to me. It's been good to see the range of experiences shared here. Perhaps the conclusion is that like much in the UK, housing is dysfunctional right now. I am aware that there are also complaints in other constituent nations of Britain on this matter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic