Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Politics Thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 85>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64739371

As much as I'm looking forward to the end of the current UK "government" I don't have any great expectations of the next. This is pretty plain vanilla stuff again from Starmer. He just seems to have this take which is "vote for us, we're the good guys." The ship is sinking my friend. What's the plan?

Will be interesting  to hear Starmers pledges. 
Creating a stable economy,  with investment,  as a clear target for growth, is top of the agenda. 
Not far behind  surely,  should the growth of a green energy  policy,
Creating jobs in the process. 
We at a crossroads  on this planet.
Future  generations  will despise us , unless we start getting  it right.

I totally  get what Totallybiasedscarlet,  says above,regarding  ' vanilla starmer ", BUT,his main task ATM is to win.
To do that , he clearly  has to inspire, but also doesn't  have to say too much into much detail yet.
Do'nt underestimate  the task which faces him and of course facing the Tory press, who will pounce  on every  opportunity  they can.
If this was a boxing match,  I would say to Starmer,  just keep your distance,  keep jabbing, your winning  on points , so no need to go for knock out blow yet.
You can  learn so much from the well intentioned,  but naive mistakes  Corbyn  make.
Sometimes,  not saying too much, is better.Wink

That is what a lot of more "progressive" folk in Labour are saying. "Just wait till we're in government, all will be well". I guess I'm just frustrated. I want Britain to get on with the job of fixing/replacing all the broken and dysfunctional components of the State. I guess at the end of the day we all want better government. We'll talk more about this soon SP Smile
Yes , can only change things if you win.
Tories are experts  as deception,  so we must learn.
I stood yer on tanner bank
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 12:27pm
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/food-shortages-supermarkets-jobs-coffey-b2288054.html

In the meantime in Tory Britain, the environment secretary tells working people who find themselves in such poverty that they can't afford food to work longer hours. A social contract torn to shreds. Families with two working parents should be able to afford to live a decent life. These Tories genuinely are scumbags.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 2:13pm
Tesco's had a sign on their empty fruit and veg stating it was due to poor  weather conditions ...Anyway after a lot of shouting the manager came down and I made him take the sign down or alter it to include the B word ....He was quite pompous , do I took his picture and told him that I would post it on twitter with his lying excuses 
The long and short , I had to leave so I then went 5 miles up the valley to Asda , and guess what ....The same sign is on the fruit and veg .....so I went in bought the items I needed , then demanded to see the manager ....same crap , do I went through the same process...but at least I bought the products that were needed for the weekend 

I wasnt going to say anything but I am totally pissed off with all of the lies , and I thought enough is enough Angry
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Tesco's had a sign on their empty fruit and veg stating it was due to poor  weather conditions ...Anyway after a lot of shouting the manager came down and I made him take the sign down or alter it to include the B word ....He was quite pompous , do I took his picture and told him that I would post it on twitter with his lying excuses 
The long and short , I had to leave so I then went 5 miles up the valley to Asda , and guess what ....The same sign is on the fruit and veg .....so I went in bought the items I needed , then demanded to see the manager ....same crap , do I went through the same process...but at least I bought the products that were needed for the weekend 

I wasnt going to say anything but I am totally pissed off with all of the lies , and I thought enough is enough Angry

Take a marker pen with you next time Wink
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 4:39pm
Brexit is responsible for bad weather in tomato growing nations?? Anyhow just grow your own Wink

Edited by RR1972 - 23 February 2023 at 4:41pm
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 4:48pm
Green tomatoes..great song LOL
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 4:49pm

Take a marker pen with you next time Wink
I know rookie mistake LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Sir Duckling Tuft Sir Duckling Tuft wrote:

No, that's a year.

54% is disgraceful 

Nice edit Embarrassed
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 6:49pm
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/keir-starmer-five-missions-speech-rishi-sunak-b2288229.html

A very tongue in cheek opinion piece for the most part ... but a very good conclusion I thought.

Very different views from Crace and Toynbee in the Guardian though.

Edited by totallybiasedscarlet - 23 February 2023 at 6:52pm
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 7:12pm
Question time tonight from Cardiff will be interesting to heàr Welsh public give their views on everything going on 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Question time tonight from Cardiff will be interesting to heàr Welsh public give their views on everything going on 

Didn't know it was Cardiff tonight. Dang. I'd love to get on QT and ask a question. I know exactly what I'd ask.
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 9:08pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/keir-starmer-five-missions-speech-rishi-sunak-b2288229.html

A very tongue in cheek opinion piece for the most part ... but a very good conclusion I thought.

Very different views from Crace and Toynbee in the Guardian though.
Sorry, a very  poor conclusion. 
Tom Peck , a serious journalist..my arse!
What's he expect Starmer to do, a year away from an election...
do backwards  somersaults? LOL
At this stage,he's doing all he needs to do, and keep it that. 

The way  I view things simply  is this.
We the ordinary ' little people,  who have worked all our lives.
Paid our NI contributions,  been good citizens (mostly),
supported those in need, accepted what the failing NHS is manfully  trying to do with you, without  complaining  tooo much.
And what are faced by...the establishment..headed by the Tory party 
Their friends, including  oligarchs,  ahd other crooks,some so wealthy
they do'nt even know how much they have.We then have the landed gentry, some of whom trundling in to the House of Lords, if they can stay awake.  Some of these people own over three  quarters or the land in the UK.
Who are the defenders of this motley crew..none other than tye Great Grithish Press of course.
The Sun, the vilifier  of the miners and  innocent  Liverpool  football  fans at Hillsborough,  and phone tapping of people's phones including  tye rapidly of Millie Dowler. The Dailer Mail, a publication  so reactionary,  it names Norman Tebitt look like Corbyn.
I need not go on
This bunch of scum, want to maintain  the status quo, and keep the Tories in power, so they continue conning the public, and ruling with such arrogance, that Johnnson can break the law ahd Truss can destroy  our economy,  but there no real  apology! 
Worst of all we have the arrogance of people like Cameron  and Osborne,  who at the time of austerity,  expect the poorest and most disadvantaged,  proportionally,  to carry the burden. There were benefit  cuts, of course,  but no real talk of a mansion tax for the rich, who have more more money  than most of us , in ten future  lifetimes never mind this one.
To get up to speed  with arrogance,  we can only look at bastards like the new Tory deputy  chairman , who loves a good hanging and the
thinks that those who use foodbanks should do budget  better,and cook fresh food.Come to Llanelli,  my friend,  and see the people forced to used foodbanks now, its a sad reality of where Weare in society .
It's worrying to think that a lot of the public are conned by these people, but they are.
Professional  liars like Johnson see to that, supported,  by the media.

So facing this assorted alliance of Tories  landowners, wealthy, media moguls ,self satisfied  back slapping company directors and bankers
are we the public, the little men and women.
We have the audacity  to question  corruption,  decadence, cronyism, 
unequivocal unequality, racism, misogyny,  better pay and working  conditions, the right to take industrial  action,and to fight for a better society for...HOW DARE WE ?.?

We shelter behind a fragile shield wall, like the one our forefathers fought to standstill  behind.
But that shield Wall is fragile, and is breaking, fractured beyond repair in parts.Those most vulnerable sheltering behind  the wall are ravaged  by the ills that now faces them, with no where to hide.
The mechanisms,  there once to protect them are slowly disintegrating . Society as we once knew it, almost vaporised.

In the not too distant future the forces of entitlement, greed, and corruption,  will hit our shield wall again, with all the force it can muster.
It will will do so, to maintain  the status quo and to retain power,for the few, and to maintain therefore the misery of the many.

What I say is this, we must stay strong , link arms in the shield wall, and FIGHT. To lose would be catastrophic,  bearing in mind all that has happened in our recent  past.
We do this not just for ourselves, and our children but for their children too.
Whatever our disparate  views, whatever  our differences ,time to unite.
If Starmer doesn't say too in too much detail  ATM  , fine by me, keep your powder dry, the fight will be with soon enough, and FiGHT we must, its one we cannot afford  to lose

I stood yer on tanner bank
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 10:11pm
Awesome post .....Clap
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 10:29pm

Green tomatoes..great song LOL
booker t and the mgs or was that green onionsWink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 10:57pm
Agree with you on a great number of matters SP but I agree with Peck's closing remarks and I'll explain why.

Which is not to say they’re not deliverable. Underestimating Keir Starmer is a big mistake, made all too often. He’s not where he is, in every respect, by accident. In some of his recent speeches he’s spoken about being weary of how Westminster works. That it’s all talk, and no one actually does anything. He is clearly an executive-minded person; the days of government-by-columnist are, pleasingly, over.

He had made enormous progress, but the next phase is by far the hardest. He still has to talk his way in to 10 Downing Street, via the voters’ affections; and he’s still got a long way to go to get there.

We're a year out from a GE. I can't see the Tories getting in now. Yet a great deal of support for Labour is by default, a case of they're the next taxi off the rank. Peck is making the point here that voters may not have great affection for Labour ... and it's a fair point. Many like you are saying that Labour's right to keep it's powder dry ... but it's not entirely true that they have. For example they went into quite a bit of detail about the future of the UK via Gordon Brown's constitutional review. I was personally massively disappointed by it. In other aspects he's dismissed really important stuff. He was interviewed by Alistair Campbell and Rory Stewart for their podcast. They asked him about the way that Johnson abused the "good chaps" model of Parliamentary convention and if constitutional reforms were necessary to prevent this from happening. Starmer's response was basically to say that Labour were the "good chaps" the UK needs and that no reform was really needed. Again, I was hugely disappointed. I get that Labour are in election mode and don't want to give away policy so as to give the Tories a head start on them, but their pronouncements have left me cold. Grud yes, I want the Tories out and right now the only answer to that is for England to return a Labour majority. But this is where I agree with Peck - I've no great affection for Labour. I don't feel happy with the "vote for us, we'll do progressive stuff" approach. I don't find it reassuring. The state Britain is in is absolutely dreadful. "Trust us, we're the good guys" doesn't cut it for me. Right now "we're not the Tories" will be good enough but my goodness, there are seismic fractures running through the UK and folk all over Britain deserve a State that functions. I just wish I felt that there was some substance behind Labour.

Edited by totallybiasedscarlet - 24 February 2023 at 8:07am
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2023 at 11:07pm
Posted on wrong threadWink

Edited by RR1972 - 23 February 2023 at 11:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 85>
  Share Topic