Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

End of season contracts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

We have too few quality players to give any away to the other Regions and nor do I want any of their outcasts. 
We have a good nucleus of young players but the next few seasons are going to be a huge struggle.
All because of greed by small minded men who want to keep their place aboard the gravy train.
It sounds like Cardiff are having to offer quality players derisory contracts in order to fit under the salary cap for next season. Some of the outcasts might be quite handy. 
Sponsored Links

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

We have too few quality players to give any away to the other Regions and nor do I want any of their outcasts. 
We have a good nucleus of young players but the next few seasons are going to be a huge struggle.
All because of greed by small minded men who want to keep their place aboard the gravy train.
It sounds like Cardiff are having to offer quality players derisory contracts in order to fit under the salary cap for next season. Some of the outcasts might be quite handy. 
Would only take Adams out of their backs in front of any of ours. Would probably take Williams in 2nd row and Carre, but only if Franks staying, and Botham from back row. 
The rest can stay where they are 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 9:15pm

Edited by Oracle - 28 February 2023 at 9:16pm
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 9:25pm
Hearing Llanelli RFC will be better off next season 
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Hearing Llanelli RFC will be better off next season 
In what way? They could certainly do with a lift
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 10:12pm
Keep Blacker...team Wales have ruined Hardy...perfect for Os.

Edited by lofty evans - 28 February 2023 at 10:12pm
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 10:14pm
Just a question are Welsh team players on Qtr of a million a year...

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Just a question are Welsh team players on Qtr of a million a year...

Some are/were
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Boisbach Boisbach wrote:

Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

I read a good piece on this somewhere that a squad of 40 May struggle to field a side with HIAs and injuries - imagine you have 15 players out. It’s all a shambles - how can we be expected to win silverware on this? It will just mean more fatigue, injuries, less performance until the argument for 2/3 regions is stronger. 

Plus some international call ups on top.

The RFC (who struggle now !) will be taking a hit every week with players supplementing the main Scarlets squad.

Exactly - I can see it now, tonight’s game against Munster called off because of lack of players etc. what a mess. 
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2023 at 12:38am
At the moment ,until we have concrete evidence, a lot of talk is sheer speculation.
Its a worrying time for the players and their families ,and I feel for them.

Of course , we are all concerned fans, because there is no clarity, and when there there is,
there is still going to be worry, because the landscape is going to look very different, both here, and across Wales.

Its a very sad state of affairs!
I stood yer on tanner bank
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2023 at 6:12am

Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Would only take Adams out of their backs in front of any of ours. Would probably take Williams in 2nd row and Carre, but only if Franks staying, and Botham from back row. 
The rest can stay where they are 

Inter regional transfers (as opposed to players being poached) are a bit hit and miss for sure, but if we are thin in a position once the dust has settled on who has signed/has not signed, I think it is an option when in reality the alternatives either don't exist, or more likely are unaffordable.

The other think I see is the Prem will house more ex regional players next year, signing them on short term deals oif the need arises is an option.

Merthyr picked up Ashley Beck for example, and although he's not on Cardiff's books per se, he is in their Euro squad. I think we should have considered likewise with Harri Doel...and so on.

As for the RFC, unless some benefactor steps in specifically to support them alone, then it doesn't look great.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2023 at 6:47am
For sure its a challenging time but Dwayne, in fairness, came over very well. The finances are what they are & it is clear that the Scarlets are well down the road planning for a rocky couple of years - but importantly we are still alive & fighting. 

Dwayne suggests that half of the 20 out of contract players will leave. It's a fair guess that many of those will be senior higher paid guys. Wil makes a valid point in suggesting that the knock on effect of the squad reductions across the regions will be more player quality in the Premiership & the opportunity to pad slimmed down squads with experienced players from the Premiership on short term deals. 

Our academy has never been more important; us supporters have been screaming this season to give our youngsters a chance - well over the next two years they are going to do a lot of heavy lifting. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2023 at 6:51am
I thought Shanklin last Sunday, unusually, talked a great deal of sense. He stated that the age profile of the Scarlets squad was such that very senior guys who may have their best days behind them were clearly the obvious choices to leave while also the Scarlets had a good bunch of young players ready or almost ready to step up. He didn't feel that Cardiff & Ospreys had such favourable profiles. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2023 at 7:20am
Another takeaway from Dwayne's interview with our Steff was that he rated this boy Ben Williams to step up across the back row next season. He also confirmed that new signings would be confined to the forwards for next season. Bearing in mind that the squad is going to be cut by 12-14 from this season I suggest something along the lines of this :-

Sione, Blade, a hooker, Phil Price, Jefferies, WGJ, Javan, Lezana, Iestyn Rees, a scrum half, Foxy, Baldwin Halfpenny. I have not included Rawlins, Helps & Cubby in this list despite the fact that they were part of this season's squad. 
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2023 at 10:00am
Can we assume the  majority of players that don't  play much part of the season going forward are maybe not part of our plans next year?
 Is it better to give them experience this year than starting it on a new season?
Ie we see more of Ben Williams than say lezana.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2023 at 10:13am
We will have a good first team but a raft of injuries like we seem to suffer regulary and we will be struggling. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic