Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

End of season contracts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Let's hope there aren't too many "coaching" roles created for ex players given how short of money we are.

It's inevitable. Or in charge of condiment replacement. I'm sure plenty of jobs will pop up. 

If they have the requisite qualifications for a vacant position I don’t see the challenge personally.

Would relevant include experience of coaching at a high level or would that be over ridden by jobs for the boys which has always been the case ?
Our “jobs for the boys” appointments don’t seem to do so bad. Robin McBryde was a “jobs for the boys” appointment and was soon a grand slam winning coach, now coaching the best club team in Europe. Easterby was another. Now coaching the number 1 ranked national team in the world. Mark Jones was deemed good enough for a job with the best team in Super Rugby, but was a “jobs for the boys” pick here initially. 

Perhaps these ex-players are appointed as we’ve seen first hand their potential to develop into quality coaches. 

You've hit the nail on the head there they come to us inexperienced and gain it with us and then go on to bigger things after we've paid to give them the experience as i said to Wil earlier in a roundabout way we have always been known as a jobs for the boys region/team instead of investing money in more experienced coaches like the one who will be going to Edinburgh at the end of the season totally respect your opinion but it is not mine.

With the exodus of players due it's over to Cubby boi to bring the next generation of Scarlets players. 

You could at least post to support your point?

I was waiting for that. 

I'd rather, and I'm sure others would, prefer experienced people in the job. We weren't exactly flying the flag for Europe when Nigel, Mark and Easterby were in charge. People were up in arms at Peels appointment because of his lack of experience. Is it coincidence that our fortunes have improved since we had the experienced Wasps coach on board?

Cubby's is a player/management liaison role really. A player with an eye for talent, and with the mandate to make sure the club are aware of that talent (be it academy, prem, or otherwise). He doesn't have authority to sign or let go players, but he can give an useful insight on how they are performing. I can't see how he lacks experience for these things really.

Blackett has been a great addition, but it was 6 weeks or more between his arrival and the club starting to win games. As much as I think he's added value, I think having a large batch of players return from mid term injury, and being able to keep 15 players on the pitch, have been pretty influential too.

Like Ladram, let's agree to disagree.
Sponsored Links

Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 7:50pm

Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Our “jobs for the boys” appointments don’t seem to do so bad. Robin McBryde was a “jobs for the boys” appointment and was soon a grand slam winning coach, now coaching the best club team in Europe. Easterby was another. Now coaching the number 1 ranked national team in the world. Mark Jones was deemed good enough for a job with the best team in Super Rugby, but was a “jobs for the boys” pick here initially. 

Perhaps these ex-players are appointed as we’ve seen first hand their potential to develop into quality coaches. 

You've hit the nail on the head there they come to us inexperienced and gain it with us and then go on to bigger things after we've paid to give them the experience as i said to Wil earlier in a roundabout way we have always been known as a jobs for the boys region/team instead of investing money in more experienced coaches like the one who will be going to Edinburgh at the end of the season totally respect your opinion but it is not mine.

With the exodus of players due it's over to Cubby boi to bring the next generation of Scarlets players. 

You could at least post to support your point?

I was waiting for that. 

I'd rather, and I'm sure others would, prefer experienced people in the job. We weren't exactly flying the flag for Europe when Nigel, Mark and Easterby were in charge. People were up in arms at Peels appointment because of his lack of experience. Is it coincidence that our fortunes have improved since we had the experienced Wasps coach on board?
Blackett is barely more experienced than Peel. He got his first top level job as an Attack Coach when Stevo left to come here, and he was promoted to the top job when Dai Young left in 2020. 

Edited by Mugwuffin - 08 March 2023 at 7:51pm
Llanelliman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Llanelliman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 9:30am
Just read that Blackett may be thwarted for his role as Head Coach at Edinburgh by Steve Diamond, who’s also in contention for the job !!!!!
Made in Seaside, Llanelli
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Llanelliman Llanelliman wrote:

Just read that Blackett may be thwarted for his role as Head Coach at Edinburgh by Steve Diamond, who’s also in contention for the job !!!!!

Thanks for this .

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
tim d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tim d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 3:16pm
Diamond just been appointed as Edinburgh coach . 
I'm sick of it
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by tim d tim d wrote:

Back to the Cockerill style of play and environment, you’d imagine.

Wonder if Lee Blackett has any other offers on the table
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 5:48pm

Good hopefully Blackett will stay Scarlet 🙏 

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Has he already come out saying that he’s finding it a bit mundane being an assistant as opposed to the head man?
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

Has he already come out saying that he’s finding it a bit mundane being an assistant as opposed to the head man?

I read that as he is enjoying the extra time he has to spend with his family and enjoying actually being back able to coach. When he said he finds himself sometimes getting bored, I thinks he saw that as a good thing
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by gnasher1975 gnasher1975 wrote:

I read that as he is enjoying the extra time he has to spend with his family and enjoying actually being back able to coach. When he said he finds himself sometimes getting bored, I thinks he saw that as a good thing

I would like to think recent form has encouraged the board to offer a package to stay. No point losing him for 50/100 k to start again with another assistant . Continue with the progress and move his kids to Wales 

Edited by Huwbach - 09 March 2023 at 7:16pm
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by gnasher1975 gnasher1975 wrote:

That’s how I read it too. I have no doubt he wants to be an HC again and I support it, but the article delved in deeper rather than just “bored”.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 8:08pm
If you’re commuting such a long distance, it’s good to have some spare time to do the drive and see the family.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 8:22pm
I hope he stays , everything behind the scenes are looking good...let's not pisss on our own shoes now
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

If you’re commuting such a long distance, it’s good to have some spare time to do the drive and see the family.
Have to be honest and say that if you commute that far, you really must love the job and the package must be right. My daily commute is 225 miles and ive been doing it for 17 years for just that reason. It does limit your free time/family time though
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 10:03am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Have to be honest and say that if you commute that far, you really must love the job and the package must be right. My daily commute is 225 miles and ive been doing it for 17 years for just that reason. It does limit your free time/family time though
how long does that take you? Good effort
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 10:12am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

how long does that take you? Good effort
Sadly 2 hours each way as a minimum. Its Llangennech to Tewkesbury and the A465 is and has been, a road works nightmare the entire time. Before the commute I actually lived up and around there so my commute was weekly back to Stradey instead LOL
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic