Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite quotes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2023 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

[beep] the WRU
Seeing as you brought them up, an unattributed comment when dealing with such obstacles and purveyors of ineptitude and inaction, someone I knew used to say, “You know? I can’t quite make up my mind. Are you a cretinous moron or a moronous cretin”.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2023 at 6:57pm
Inside every 70 year old is a 20 year old who's thinking - "What the hell just happened?" Terry Prattchet.

Also, always loved this one: "... and as for your grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" Homer the vigilante.

And just about anything by George Carlin ... but I particularly like this one: "Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2023 at 7:02pm
In case I forget - Bill Hicks ... 

"Hey buddy, I didn't like what you said. I'm a Christian."

"So forgive me then."
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2023 at 12:49pm
" If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything"

Mark Twain

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2023 at 1:49pm
" We are driven by our need to please others, driven by your fear, driven by your past.
Maybe it's time to free yourself and the way to do is decide, decide consciously what you want your life to be about.
Decide consciously what is the purpose of your life"

Tony Robbins 

Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 12:36pm

" The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies, was made in the interiors of collapsing stars.
We are made of starstuff"

Carl Sagan.

My childhood hero, when he spoke his voice was magical, his thoughts, his imagination and his capture and beauty of words inspired me in ways no other has been able to. As a child who was bored with school he was the teacher that captivated my mind with statistics and facts that were delivered so effortlessly and with an eloquence that still stirs my soul. 

His books opened my mind, his words and his humanity and his beliefs in the real fragility of our World still resonate deeply within me.

Often you read who would you like to sit down for 10 minutes on a park bench and talk to, it would be Carl Sagan.... NASA, Astronomer, Scientist, astrophysicist, astrobiology, author.

Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 12:45pm
He couldn't pronounce his He's.  Sounded like Kermit when he said uman instead of Human ...but one of the iconic series of all time , right up there with the Ascent of Man and great sound tracks from vangelis 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

" The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies, was made in the interiors of collapsing stars.

Carl Sagan.

My childhood hero, when he spoke his voice was magical, his thoughts, his imagination and his capture and beauty of words inspired me in ways no other has been able to. As a child who was bored with school he was the teacher that captivated my mind with statistics and facts that were delivered so effortlessly and with an eloquence that still stirs my soul. 

His books opened my mind, his words and his humanity and his beliefs in the real fragility of our World still resonate deeply within me.

Often you read who would you like to sit down for 10 minutes on a park bench and talk to, it would be Carl Sagan.... NASA, Astronomer, Scientist, astrophysicist, astrobiology, author.

Ditto Thumbs Up
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 1:07pm

Carl Sagan.

Beautiful quote. Another great one often attributed to the incomparable Isaac Newton is:

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." 

This is, though, a borrowing - apparently - from earlier metaphors. Newton wasn't wrong to use it, though!

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

He couldn't pronounce his He's.  Sounded like Kermit when he said uman instead of Human ...but one of the iconic series of all time , right up there with the Ascent of Man and great sound tracks from vangelis 

On another note that music was from Vangelis " Heaven and Hell " album, which introduced the magic of Vangelis.
The original Cosmos series had a profound effect on me tbh...the whole package.

Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Carl Sagan.

Beautiful quote. Another great one often attributed to the incomparable Isaac Newton is:

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." 

This is, though, a borrowing - apparently - from earlier metaphors. Newton wasn't wrong to use it, though!

On the shoulders of Giants.....is truly epic....Great words.

Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Inside every 70 year old is a 20 year old who's thinking - "What the hell just happened?" Terry Prattchet.

Also, always loved this one: "... and as for your grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" Homer the vigilante.

And just about anything by George Carlin ... but I particularly like this one: "Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music."

Great and thankyou.

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 1:22pm
Shy kids don't get sweets.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Shy kids don't get sweets.

True.

Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 1:39pm
Forgive me for this.

" Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us.
On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you have ever heard of, every human who ever was, lived out their lives.
The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter, every forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals , every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every Saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam".

Just part of what is written about the Pale blue dot.

Carl Sagan.

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 1:51pm

And let that day be lost to us on which we did not dance once! And let that wisdom be false to us that brought no laughter with it!

(One of my all-time favourites.)

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic