Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for Munster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2023 at 7:35pm
Does that indicate that the players are not asked for because they are not in next year's plans...ken retiring ,patchel off elsewhere , Wyn off to France 
Sponsored Links

surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 10:27am
According to the BBC, players have been releasesd for this weekend by Wales, except...

'However, Scarlets will have none of their Wales contingent available at Munster on Friday night.'
Joshua24:15
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 10:54am
I think Wil may have a valid point. In all honesty which of the 5 Scarlets with the Wales squad would make a difference. You have a winning team who probably played their best rugby of the season. You also have, it appears, Samson, Josh & Johnny Williams closing in on comebacks & certainly training with the group.

Lets honestly look at it objectively with absolutely no malice intended towards the International 5. Ken looks worn out from the responsibilities of this Welsh team and negotiations. Young Shaun Evans is full of energy & commitment to the cause whilst being dodgy at throwing ( as Ken is ) & an absolute dog at the breakdown. Wyn has very little gametime & Mathias is progressing nicely both at set piece and around the field. Hardy is behind both Cawdor & Blacker - yes thats my opinion but also Dwayne's bearing in mind recent selections. Patchell has started to find his better form but again now lacks minutes. Costelow is playing well as he has done most of the season. Halfpenny, for me, is the one I would miss the most with his goalkicking and defensive solidity but to win in Cork we are going to need the creativity & adventure that JMac & Steff Evans bring.

So in summation in an ideal world I would probably have Ken & Patchell on the bench at best. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 10:56am
I am not looking for a season defining away win on Friday just more of the same improvements in defence & discipline. Lets give them nothing and make them work for their points. We need to be bold and attack to stay in the fight. A losing bonus point would make me smile for sure. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 11:08am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I am not looking for a season defining away win on Friday just more of the same improvements in defence & discipline. Let’s give them nothing and make them work for their points. We need to be bold and attack to stay in the fight. A losing bonus point would make me smile for sure. 
GPR be more positive this could be the defining match of the season, a win in Cork is within our capability and I expect us to get a bonus point. Please 
I agree that we will not be missing any of our internationals apart from Wyn he is a quality operator and would improve most teams. 
Let’s run them ragged with our youngsters to the fore. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 11:23am
To have someone of Wyn Jones quality,  either to start or come off bench is massive. 
No comparison,  with Stef Thomas.
Likewise,  Patchell,  unless,  Gatland  intends to start him against  the Italians,  why the hell hasn't  he been released. 
The guy needs games, and although I feotbaaDah did well,in the SH against  , Patch offers somthing extra.

Against a side as uncompromising  as Munster, therse 
are the small margins,  which can can possibly  define success.
I think its madness  the way  the squad is organised,  with players sitting  on their hands.
I suppose why should we be surprised with anything to to with Wales or WRU

I stood yer on tanner bank
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 11:25am
Should  read Dan Johes above-named...bloody predicted  text againConfused
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 11:55am
Wyn of previous seasons I would agree but tell me when Wyn performed at that level. Dwayne has selected Steff Thomas ahead of him before. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I am not looking for a season defining away win on Friday just more of the same improvements in defence & discipline. Let’s give them nothing and make them work for their points. We need to be bold and attack to stay in the fight. A losing bonus point would make me smile for sure. 
GPR be more positive this could be the defining match of the season, a win in Cork is within our capability and I expect us to get a bonus point. Please 
I agree that we will not be missing any of our internationals apart from Wyn he is a quality operator and would improve most teams. 

Why - nobody has been more pleased than I to see us starting to play well. i discount the European games to date but our URC games in January/Feb culminating in two excellent home wins against the Bulls & Edinburgh have taken us to a level that we have not been at this season. 

Having said that this game is in Cork against a team who put 58 points on the Ospreys last time out. For sure a very weakened Ospreys but nevertheless....... For me to think twice about which way this game is going to go equates to a hell of shift in my opinions. Give them a tough game, sneek a point or win preferably and return home uninjured that will do me. We potentially have 3 massive games in April which are the games we need to peak for. 
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 12:08pm
It's Cork not Thomond ...we can do em and yes it is a real tester...but those thoughts have been posted many times on here and this year we done it...im.bloody excited. 

On another note...when we were fantastic in Europe there were comments of taking the easy route with weaker teams, my thoughts and they still hold true, to be the best you have to beat the best out there....so we have the hardest run in to this season....excellent bring it on.

Edited by lofty evans - 28 February 2023 at 12:10pm
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 12:12pm

Why - nobody has been more pleased than I to see us starting to play well. i discount the European games to date but our URC games in January/Feb culminating in two excellent home wins against the Bulls & Edinburgh have taken us to a level that we have not been at this season. 

Having said that this game is in Cork against a team who put 58 points on the Ospreys last time out. For sure a very weakened Ospreys but nevertheless....... For me to think twice about which way this game is going to go equates to a hell of shift in my opinions. Give them a tough game, sneek a point or win preferably and return home uninjured that will do me. We potentially have 3 massive games in April which are the games we need to peak for. 

The Iconic region, the one true region, the most successful region getting hammered in Cork, supplying all the current Welsh 15 ...I don't believe it.

Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 12:13pm
Me too 
We need to show the world that rugby is being run by idiots in Cardiff but down west we still have a plan with competent people in charge 

Gorllewin yw'r gorau ...eto 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Me too 
We need to show the world that rugby is being run by idiots in Cardiff but down west we still have a plan with competent people in charge 

Gorllewin yw'r gorau ...eto 

Your best post this year Oracle....thats the spirit Men of the West ffs we are the Scarlets with supporters and players with true hearts and fire of the true Welsh people....playing rugby that is known throughout the World and respected, the last Welsh side to down the All Blacks and the best players this Nation can provide in a massive Stadium at its Capital city, cannot surpass that.....if you want to beat the all blacks come down West and ask.

We are the Scarlets the biggest heartbeat in Wales.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 12:21pm

Wyn of previous seasons I would agree but tell me when Wyn performed at that level. Dwayne has selected Steff Thomas ahead of him before. 

Wyn's issues obviously  have linked to his ongoing injury problems.
Must have been assessed both by Peel, and at national level.
Apart from his scrummaging  skill, he also has the ability  to win turnovers, twice, in his last scarlets  match. 
He has come through  an international  match, so no arguments against  match fitness. 
In comparison  Stef is a decent hardworking  squad player, and the depth that sides like Munster  possess,  we need  everything  we can at our disposal. 

Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 12:24pm

I am not looking for a season defining away win on Friday just more of the same improvements in defence & discipline. Lets give them nothing and make them work for their points. We need to be bold and attack to stay in the fight. A losing bonus point would make me smile for sure. 

I am....an away win is the requirement...no losing bonus points...but bonus point win...we cab do it belief and mental preparation to do the extraordinary and unexpected is what we are.....its what we are GPR.

Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 12:28pm

Well said. Top post.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic