Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wales v Italy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wales v Italy
    Posted: 27 February 2023 at 3:37pm
To be honest, I have no real enthusiasm for Next sat(has anybody?) .
Will be interesting to see however how Gatland goes.
Does he want more wholesale changes , thus having no continuity , or tinker ?

I will be shocked if the Italians don't win next week, surely therefore time to blood some new talent for world cup and beyond.
Up front, we are so lacking carriers, in my view ,its worth risking Carre from the start.
Scrummaging , never been his strongest, but like others , will improve, with time.
Dylan Lewis is also worth risking ,as his all round contribution is better than Francis. His scrummaging, although not strong, has also improved.
Jenkins has to come back in the second row, and I would give Rees a go to partner him.
Morgan surely to return at the expense of Tipuric.

Behind the scrum, Tomos Wiliams, was awful, on sat . I would have Cawdor or Blacker there, but as the squad is what as it is, its Hardy and Patchell, to show some attacking intent.
FB, stick with HP, and stability or gamble with sanjay and instability ?
other long term option Rees -Zamitt to FB.

Look , its like rearranging the deckchairs on titanic, because the ship will definitely go down.
What is important is building, and we need to start the process.

looking ahead to rugby WC, i am sure the make up of the side/squad will be a little different.
Maybe.................
LZR, conbeer, grady, hawkins/ K.williams,adams/dyer, ancombe/costellow, cawdor/blacker, carre, wyn, lake?parry, lewis /brown, jenkins/ rowlands/rees/carter/ navidi,  refell, falataeu, christ T, morgan, mcloud.

all of the above , other than Falataeu, and anscombe are younger than the average age of current squad...so could play inn another WC possibly.

wild card could be the return of hill and jake ball depending on fitness and form 

I stood yer on tanner bank
Sponsored Links

Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2023 at 4:16pm
Would you return from Japan with the current wru setup , they are earning good money in the land of the rising sun , I personally would give that choice a very very very wide berth 
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2023 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

I will be shocked if the Italians don't win next week, surely therefore time to blood some new talent for world cup and beyond.
Up front, we are so lacking carriers, in my view ,its worth risking Carre from the start.
Scrummaging , never been his strongest, but like others , will improve, with time.
Dylan Lewis is also worth risking ,as his all round contribution is better than Francis. His scrummaging, although not strong, has also improved.
Jenkins has to come back in the second row, and I would give Rees a go to partner him.

Behind the scrum, Tomos Wiliams, was awful, on sat . I would have Cawdor or Blacker there, but as the squad is what as it is, its Hardy and Patchell, to show some attacking intent.

Look , its like rearranging the deckchairs on titanic, because the ship will definitely go down.

looking ahead to rugby WC, i am sure the make up of the side/squad will be a little different.
Maybe.................
LZR, conbeer, grady, hawkins/ K.williams,adams/dyer, ancombe/costellow, cawdor/blacker, carre, wyn, lake?parry, lewis /brown, jenkins/ rowlands/rees/carter/ navidi,  refell, falataeu, christ T, morgan, mcloud.

all of the above , other than Falataeu, and anscombe are younger than the average age of current squad...so could play inn another WC possibly.

wild card could be the return of hill and jake ball depending on fitness and form 

I mostly agree though I would drp everyone simply for someone younger unless they merit it

Id find an excuse to bring in jmac at full back hes miles ahead of the other 2 in attack and  form
lrz adams still best bets
centres may as well stick with grady
fly half patchell is way ahead of biggar and williams on attacking ability
costelow is too
Id start patchell , costelow on the bench
cawdor Id start , again Id find an excuse to bring him in , surely tomos is carrying an injury 
stick with faletau
mrgan back to 7
christ t 6
jenkins davies locks , teddy williams bench
props lewis wyn jones, hooker ken and anyone but roberts benching
sir duckling tuft
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2023 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Would you return from Japan with the current wru setup , they are earning good money in the land of the rising sun , I personally would give that choice a very very very wide berth 

Good point Oracle, but the reduction  in the 60 cap rule, could mean that players like Hill and Jake Ball, currently  in Japan could be available,  depending  on fitness and form( are they playing  an intense enough standard,  week in week out ?.)
The same applies  to Rowlands who is on his way to France, and of course  ,others, soon out of contract who may follow.
Will be interesting! 
I stood yer on tanner bank
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Maybe.................

The Italians beat us with a superb try at the WRU cathedral...so at home they will be confident of winning and good luck to them.

We are 10th in the World rankings at the moment, we are dross and deservedly so with all the crap over the years with the mobsters at perv halls.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 4:24pm

they don’t have to return under the 25 cap law they just need to play for wales in a world cup
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 4:25pm

The Rising sun is only by Abergavenny just up the road from the Skirrid Inn where Judge Jeffries used to hang people it's in the village of Pandy and had many a pint there.Wink
Lincscarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 4:27pm
That’s the issue though isn’t it, having to work with the players Gats has already got in the squad.  I think he’s spoken about continuity so don’t expect many changes vs Italy…..however I would like to see the ruthless Gats of old come back and take the nuclear option - send back the failed donkeys to the regions and call up fresh talent. 

We need to carry hard to get anything, so I’d have Carre, Owens and Lewis as a front row with the young guns Jenkins and Davies at lock. Jac Morgan, Ross Moriarty and Dan Davis would be my back row. Physical players who make yards. 
Back that up with either Webb or Blacker at 9, Costelow at 10, Kieran Williams and Joe Roberts in the mid plus LRZ on a wing and one of Adams, Giles or Conbeer on the other. 
I’m also now throwing my hat in the Jmac 15 camp. Sod the defensive issues unless we start racking up points we’ll get nowhere and he will punish any pointless aimless kicks into our backfield. 

Bench I would like to see some experience to close out games, Wyn, Francis, AWJ, Biggar etc with Tshiunza and Faletau to add some impetus and maybe Tompkins on the bench too.

It won’t happen, but I think that starting 15 would really take the game to the opposition 
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2023 at 5:33pm
Six nations fixtures next year 

France on a Sunday in Cardiff  

All kick off times are GMT.

Round 1

Fri Feb 2nd France v Ireland 8pm
Sat Feb 3rd Italy v England 2:15pm
Sat Feb 3rd Wales v Scotland 4:45pm

Round 2

Sat Feb 10th Scotland v France 2:15pm
Sat Feb 10th England v Wales 4:45pm
Sun Feb 11th Ireland v Italy 3pm

Round 3

Sat Feb 24th Ireland v Wales 2:15pm
Sat Feb 24th Scotland v England 4:45pm
Sun Feb 25th France v Italy 3pm

Round 4

Sat Mar 9th Italy v Scotland 2:15pm
Sat Mar 9th England v Ireland 4:45pm
Sun Mar 10th Wales v France 3pm

Round 5

Sat Mar 16th Wales v Italy 2:15pm
Sat Mar 16th Ireland v Scotland 4:45pm
Sat Mar 16th France v England 8pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2023 at 2:19am
Originally posted by Lincscarlet Lincscarlet wrote:

That’s the issue though isn’t it, having to work with the players Gats has already got in the squad.  I think he’s spoken about continuity so don’t expect many changes vs Italy…..however I would like to see the ruthless Gats of old come back and take the nuclear option - send back the failed donkeys to the regions and call up fresh talent. 

We need to carry hard to get anything, so I’d have Carre, Owens and Lewis as a front row with the young guns Jenkins and Davies at lock. Jac Morgan, Ross Moriarty and Dan Davis would be my back row. Physical players who make yards. 
Back that up with either Webb or Blacker at 9, Costelow at 10, Kieran Williams and Joe Roberts in the mid plus LRZ on a wing and one of Adams, Giles or Conbeer on the other. 
I’m also now throwing my hat in the Jmac 15 camp. Sod the defensive issues unless we start racking up points we’ll get nowhere and he will punish any pointless aimless kicks into our backfield. 

Bench I would like to see some experience to close out games, Wyn, Francis, AWJ, Biggar etc with Tshiunza and Faletau to add some impetus and maybe Tompkins on the bench too.

It won’t happen, but I think that starting 15 would really take the game to the opposition 

Jmac all the way
sir duckling tuft
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2023 at 8:11am
I don't see an upset with this one; Italy will win. 
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2023 at 8:53am
without Capuozzo italy has less opportunity to win.,..
he s our best finisher, nobody like him in italy at the moment, maybe Ioane, but both are out...Also Capuozzo is vital for our tactical system
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2023 at 9:45am
J mac has been tested and failed at test level not sure why we would bring him back, he is also what 32? Hardly one for the future. I’d rather see lrz or adams get a run there tbh
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2023 at 9:53am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

J mac has been tested and failed at test level not sure why we would bring him back, he is also what 32? Hardly one for the future. I’d rather see lrz or adams get a run there tbh

I agree RR. JMac is a good URC player but he is a stop gap 15 in my eyes. I would love to see LRZ playing there - with his pace he would really get opposition half backs thinking. Tom Rogers needs to stay injury free & be given the 15 shirt. Long term he could challenge for both Scarlets & Wales. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2023 at 5:24pm
jmac played well for wales, I disagree. Hes by far the best and form full back
sir duckling tuft
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2023 at 7:39pm
I don't think he's a good full back , he's a good winger but for some reason he makes the wrong option at 15 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic