Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Munster v Scarlets thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Originally posted by Llanelliman Llanelliman wrote:

Glasgow’s artificial pitch was responsible for curtailing John Barclay’s career, when we beat them at the end of the 2017-18 season, but Barclay was carried off, having sustained an ankle/knee injury on their artificial pitch !!!!
It did not affect Scarlets too much as he’d already signed for Edinburgh for the next season, but resulted in a belated start and he never seemed to perform as well again ! Shortly afterwards, he retired from professional rugby.

Has Tom Phillips officially retired? ( Edinburgh plastic did for him)
From my knowledge, Reesy will know best, or close to, amongst the regular posters on here.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Has Tom Phillips officially retired? ( Edinburgh plastic did for him)
He has played a few games for the RFC this season. 
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 10:39pm
Just watched the game....what a bloody game....second half was like watching Scarlet fever the triple ..superb handling , lines, angles of running , determination...guts ...courage and for me pure absolute passion......if you didnt feel it...you aint breathing....wonderful and even the commentary was writing us off, yet the players.....YEP THE PLAYERS, Didn't give up or beat each other up or slate each other.....or give up hope.......ive seen so many games where this club will deliver, when it matters and when they are written off.....and boy did this Rugby mad nation needed a reminder that David can run and Goliath will tire and run out of steam.
A perfect example of skill and finesse turning a massacre into something you couldn't imagine, but the Scarlets can, no other side can turn that half around like we do.....its in our DNA....its why we put up with the rough, because we can be Gillette smooth and sublime.

Yes we lost ...lots on here wrote us off the first half.....but I've posted before when something tangible is brewing at the Scarlets it's that feeling you can't explain ...but you see it, acknowledge it and bloody grab it ...because we have our love and zest for rugby back ....and when we want to play rugby....no one can contain us and that's the Scarlet way, I had texts from supporters saying how brilliant we were....we lost....but we were brilliant....

For me Munster won...but we won the psychology battle.....we blasted Munster on their land with a sell out crowd...in Ireland and the rest who face us going forward....if we get the ball.....start panicking. 

I bloody love the Scarlets. 

Edited by lofty evans - 04 March 2023 at 10:41pm
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 10:51pm
Lofty,
Superb stirrings of the emotions there.

Where would you say that the commentators were on the Lofticus scale. The Irish team last night compared to the BBC Wales and Viaplay folk this evening?

Best answered in 24 hours maybe after your enthusiasm over our 2nd half has gone through the system

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by BBledd BBledd wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

So people are basically saying only visiting teams get injured and the home team are somehow immune?? How's that work?

Not actually sure anyone has said that.....

Correct

Bollocks. Whenever we play on artificial pitches we always moan about injuries, but hey ho it's me let's deny it. 

Edited by SA14 - 05 March 2023 at 1:01am
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 5:23am

So people are basically saying only visiting teams get injured and the home team are somehow immune?? How's that work?

Correct

Bollocks. Whenever we play on artificial pitches we always moan about injuries, but hey ho it's me let's deny it. 

I actually only referred to artificial pitches as an issue in my view, not that Scarlets players were always getting injured on them.

It is pretty well known that they are not popular with players and coaches alike mind. They make financial sense of course.

Do you think Jonny Mac's injury could be attributable to the pitch?
( I think it is, and that's not a moan incidentally).

Edited by Wil Chips - 05 March 2023 at 5:26am
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 8:09am
Just catching up... no time to read the whole thread now. Didn't see it live.

The ref seemed to be determined to let the game flow at all costs - having an entertaining game seemed to matter a lot more to him than getting his decisions right. He certainly succeeded in that aim, but at times I do feel that accuracy is pretty important as well! I don't know if his assistants were of the same mind and didn't intervene, or if he simply never gave them the time before the game had moved on.

Best example - the try scored by their 9 - did the ball go forward before that? Maybe, maybe not - what is certain is that the ref didn't allow the TMO to check all the angles before the conversion was taken. (Of course, the Irish TV guys were playing their usual game of 'not finding' a good angle in their replays as the conversion was taken, but perhaps there was one which could have been unearthed had the TMO been given time to look.

The 9, indeed, seemed to lead a charmed life with the ref - he knocked on at one ruck (or was it two?), but not given. He gave a short, slightly forward pass for one try - not checked. He deliberately knocked the ball on one handed - scrum, no pen. In addition, there were several coat-hanger tackles by others, only one of which was given - late - after intervention by the assistant. (Not YCs, but definitely high and pens.) Another knock-on near the Scarlets line was ignored even though the players told the ref - he 'didn't see it' - true, as he was badly positioned on the wrong side of the ruck -  but communication from the assistant would have brought it back for a scrum. Can't recall if they scored just after.

So - in the first half, Munster dominated possession because on the occasions when the ref should have penalised them, he could not be bothered - practically from the KO, their player rolled forward a couple of times - not given. And so it went on. I lost count of the number of times he allowed their players to hold on to the ball on the ground until the jackal was cleared out - OK, maybe sometimes they didn't 'have it', but some of those jackals were absolutely fine. (In the second half, he allowed them a jackal when their player was so much not supporting his weight, he fell over!)

I will give him this much - he also ignored some similar infringements from the Scarlets in the second half when they got on top - so there was a degree of consistency in the way he went about his work. The problem was that by then they were so far behind, catching up was always going to be a hard ask. Munster had gained such momentum in the first half because of his continuous intent to let things go that it was an almost impossible mountain to climb - yet the Scarlets nearly did it, and all credit to them

It was a superb fight-back, and an exciting and entertaining game - unlike the Os last night, whose style was turgid and where the ref was finicky. But - maybe - with that ref we'd have won a lower scoring game. Who knows?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 8:55am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Just catching up... no time to read the whole thread now. Didn't see it live.

The ref seemed to be determined to let the game flow at all costs - having an entertaining game seemed to matter a lot more to him than getting his decisions right. He certainly succeeded in that aim, but at times I do feel that accuracy is pretty important as well! I don't know if his assistants were of the same mind and didn't intervene, or if he simply never gave them the time before the game had moved on.

Best example - the try scored by their 9 - did the ball go forward before that? Maybe, maybe not - what is certain is that the ref didn't allow the TMO to check all the angles before the conversion was taken. (Of course, the Irish TV guys were playing their usual game of 'not finding' a good angle in their replays as the conversion was taken, but perhaps there was one which could have been unearthed had the TMO been given time to look.

The 9, indeed, seemed to lead a charmed life with the ref - he knocked on at one ruck (or was it two?), but not given. He gave a short, slightly forward pass for one try - not checked. He deliberately knocked the ball on one handed - scrum, no pen. In addition, there were several coat-hanger tackles by others, only one of which was given - late - after intervention by the assistant. (Not YCs, but definitely high and pens.) Another knock-on near the Scarlets line was ignored even though the players told the ref - he 'didn't see it' - true, as he was badly positioned on the wrong side of the ruck -  but communication from the assistant would have brought it back for a scrum. Can't recall if they scored just after.

So - in the first half, Munster dominated possession because on the occasions when the ref should have penalised them, he could not be bothered - practically from the KO, their player rolled forward a couple of times - not given. And so it went on. I lost count of the number of times he allowed their players to hold on to the ball on the ground until the jackal was cleared out - OK, maybe sometimes they didn't 'have it', but some of those jackals were absolutely fine. (In the second half, he allowed them a jackal when their player was so much not supporting his weight, he fell over!)

I will give him this much - he also ignored some similar infringements from the Scarlets in the second half when they got on top - so there was a degree of consistency in the way he went about his work. The problem was that by then they were so far behind, catching up was always going to be a hard ask. Munster had gained such momentum in the first half because of his continuous intent to let things go that it was an almost impossible mountain to climb - yet the Scarlets nearly did it, and all credit to them

It was a superb fight-back, and an exciting and entertaining game - unlike the Os last night, whose style was turgid and where the ref was finicky. But - maybe - with that ref we'd have won a lower scoring game. Who knows?

That’s how I seen the game also, it was frustrating in the first half when they were dominant but helped us in the 2nd when we were on the front foot. Even though some of the calls were blatant and frustrating I think it did even out eventually. The couple of calls that annoyed me the most were the “mauls” Lousi has his knee down and just lets the ball go to win the penalty, nothing is called and in more or less the same play the do the same and they win the penalty from it when you can clearly see his leg up in the air, it was infuriating at times but it made it an eventful game to say the least. I’m like you though, I’d prefer an accurate performance as opposed to one that lets the game flow.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 10:28am
Players like consistency and accuracy both during the same game and from week to week. There’s no way that Friday night’s set of interpretations has a chance of of becoming a new norm. It’s probably too difficult for many of his colleagues and would go against their nature.

It would be very interesting to know what his debrief/report from the assessor was like, as well as that of both teams.

I’d like more accuracy and making players play within rather than bending the laws. At URC level, that latter wish is most unlikely. Only when players have utmost trust and respect for the ref is it possible.

Space is at such a premium, there is a basic step that would help create more and make a ref’s life slightly easier. Blow the folk in front of a kicker and enforce the offside line.

While I’d rather see an open match if I’m not supporting either side, I’d prefer an accurate one for our matches, as we tend to have rebound our entertaining style
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 11:59am
As much as I was shouting at the TV Friday , I think that everyside believes the ref is against them and biased towards the opposition ....I hate to say it and you probably wont hear me saying again but SA14 is probably correct on this point ...I feel so dirty know Wink
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 12:22pm

Correct

I actually only referred to artificial pitches as an issue in my view, not that Scarlets players were always getting injured on them.

It is pretty well known that they are not popular with players and coaches alike mind. They make financial sense of course.

Do you think Jonny Mac's injury could be attributable to the pitch?
( I think it is, and that's not a moan incidentally).

Fair comment. Crazy why clubs do it. I'd love to see their injury stats for home games. 
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 12:32pm
I’d happily accept a few borderline decisions go against us if the referee was to let the game flow like Mr Blain on Friday night.  He was a breathe of fresh air when compared to some who like to be the centre of attention and bring the game down to their level.
Ball in play time was one of the highest/if not the highest in the URC in recent years and there was a total of 91 points and 13 tries scored.  That is what excites fans, not this boring blowing up for scrum resets and penalties for marginal calls.
Unfortunately for us, our style of play (and that of Munster on Friday) isn’t conducive to the way a lot of referees in the URC like the game to be played.  Can you imagine if S…house was refereeing that match on Friday night - ball in play time would probably have been halved, there would have been dozens of reset scrums, about 2 yellow cards and about 4 disallowed tries.

Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 1:08pm
Yep, I liked the way the game was refed. Say what you like, it made for one of the most entertaining games of the season. 

As for those artificial pitches, the one time we came off worse than our opponents was up in Glasgow a week before our semi final (or was it quarter) against Leinster. Every Scarlet came off that pitch with terrible burns whereas none of the Glasgow players had so much as a mark. I offer no explanation.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 1:10pm

Just leaving Cork . Another epic Scarlet weekend  with the best supporters in the World .l!!! The Scarlets family. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 2:15pm
The ref's performance did make for a hugely entertaining game - no question about that.

How you mark it depends (a bit) on whether you want to win more than you want to be entertained.

Of course, if you support the Ospreys, you are unlikely to have the choice!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Yep, I liked the way the game was refed. Say what you like, it made for one of the most entertaining games of the season. 

As for those artificial pitches, the one time we came off worse than our opponents was up in Glasgow a week before our semi final (or was it quarter) against Leinster. Every Scarlet came off that pitch with terrible burns whereas none of the Glasgow players had so much as a mark. I offer no explanation.

Vaseline? (just a guess - a modern player may be able to give some insight...)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic