Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gardening & Growing thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

How do you minimise wind resistance and still keep them reasonably insulated from frost etc?

Just picked up this question which I assume refers to plants outdoors. As we have raised beds we have adapted them to take either thermal covers or insect netting. Thermal covers stop all wind, warm up the bed and keeps any straw contained. 
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 11:20am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

How do you minimise wind resistance and still keep them reasonably insulated from frost etc?

Just picked up this question which I assume refers to plants outdoors. As we have raised beds we have adapted them to take either thermal covers or insect netting. Thermal covers stop all wind, warm up the bed and keeps any straw contained. 
Was thinking of the polytunnels, or aren’t they the sort you can walk upright in?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 11:33am

Was thinking of the polytunnels, or aren’t they the sort you can walk upright in?

Ok - our tunnel is 35 foot x 14 foot with a maximum headroom of 10 foot so comfortable to get about in. Double doors at each end which can be closed off in high winds with ventilation supplied through side vent panels. Our tunnel has raised beds so these lend themselves to straw insulation. 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2023 at 11:52am
Can we put measurements in metric please, it's easier to order similar items on Amazon ..diolch Wink
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 11:00am
Quick tip while fresh on my mind. Slugs/snails. We save up our egg shells, batch dry them out when using our oven and then crush & store. They are very handy to scatter around tender plants which attract slugs/snails. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 11:45am
Crikey--good call!
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 1:07pm

Quick tip while fresh on my mind. Slugs/snails. We save up our egg shells, batch dry them out when using our oven and then crush & store. They are very handy to scatter around tender plants which attract slugs/snails. 

I'd rather chuck mine next door..Nice lush vegetation for them to thrive.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2023 at 5:50pm
How do people find used coffee grounds as a snail/slug deterrent?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2023 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Never thought through the value of a poly tunnel tbh. Good call.

As a follow up Wil yesterday with snow on the ground and a max outside temp of around 3-4C the temp in our tunnel reached 22C. !st early spuds going in on Monday. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2023 at 3:08pm
First earlies planted in polytunnel. Ready for picking last week of May hopefully. Got some autumn planting broccoli almost ready for the table. Probably next week or week after. Spring is coming - my favourite season by far. 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2023 at 5:55pm
It's been snowing this afternoon 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2023 at 2:31am
Are the Welsh assembly handing out free trees to plant ...one for each household....anyone ?

Scarlet O'Hara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet O'Hara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2023 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Are the Welsh assembly handing out free trees to plant ...one for each household....anyone ?

Yes it is carrying on until the end of March. You can ask them to plant one for you or go and pick one up from one of their hubs. 
I had a quick look and the nearest ones are Swansea way or Folly Farm, I'm not going to Folly Farm at this time of year again. There are things I still can't unsee from the last time I went there.Shocked
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2023 at 8:25pm
Interesting ...perhaps we should start a new thread called ..'Tales from the naughty step ' and you can tell everyone LOL
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2023 at 10:58pm
Going to plant that fir soon...cant wait weather is warmer 

scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2023 at 11:52pm

Ok - our tunnel is 35 foot x 14 foot with a maximum headroom of 10 foot so comfortable to get about in. Double doors at each end which can be closed off in high winds with ventilation supplied through side vent panels. Our tunnel has raised beds so these lend themselves to straw insulation. 

My God GPR. .like a garden centre ..LOL
Sounds impressive !
my friend and I have just invested in a tunnel for our allotment.
Its "national League ", compared with your premier league, but hopefully will do the trick.
a lot of damage with cabbage whites last year and fly damage to carrots.
We are both still min the learning stage of this project..lots of mistakes ATMLOL
I stood yer on tanner bank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic