Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gardening & Growing thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2023 at 8:01am
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

How do you minimise wind resistance and still keep them reasonably insulated from frost etc?

Just picked up this question which I assume refers to plants outdoors. As we have raised beds we have adapted them to take either thermal covers or insect netting. Thermal covers stop all wind, warm up the bed and keeps any straw contained. 
Was thinking of the polytunnels, or aren’t they the sort you can walk upright in?

Ok - our tunnel is 35 foot x 14 foot with a maximum headroom of 10 foot so comfortable to get about in. Double doors at each end which can be closed off in high winds with ventilation supplied through side vent panels. Our tunnel has raised beds so these lend themselves to straw insulation. 

My God GPR. .like a garden centre ..LOL
Sounds impressive !
my friend and I have just invested in a tunnel for our allotment.
Its "national League ", compared with your premier league, but hopefully will do the trick.
a lot of damage with cabbage whites last year and fly damage to carrots.
We are both still min the learning stage of this project..lots of mistakes ATMLOL

Good move Pimp. The dreaded cabbage white. We have learnt to cover our brassicas with an insect stopping fleece until maturity. It stops the butterfly & therefore the caterpillars. The fleece has very small holes to allow watering. 
Sponsored Links

Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2023 at 8:14am
If you play country and western music continuously next to your brassiacs..that also ensures no flies will come near them ... 
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2023 at 2:44pm
Just planted my Blue Spruce Christmas tree, it's 2ft high had it when it was 8 ins .....happy bunny lofty.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2023 at 8:58am
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Just planted my Blue Spruce Christmas tree, it's 2ft high had it when it was 8 ins .....happy bunny lofty.

Onwards & upwards Lofty.Clap
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 8:44am
Picked our first Broccoli of the season yesterday. Temperatures in the tunnel are constantly now 26-33C for at least 6-7 hours a day so growing is well under way. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 9:26am
How durable are those poly tunnels GPR?

i.e. wind resistant.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 9:28am
They are pretty good , unless you live in Mississippi 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

i.e. wind resistant.

We have had two tunnels. First one in Kent for 6 years and this one here in Rhydcymerau since 2019 - never a problem. I have to say this latest tunnel was superbly engineered ( British). Its quite large 35 foot x 14 foot & has inground anchors every 5 foot, & a bracing structure both horizontally and at each corner angle.

Diane & I installed it & had some fun getting the one piece cover on - any small gust of wind & its back to the start!!!!! If you want any further info on supplier just PM me. 
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 12:12pm

Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Onwards & upwards Lofty.Clap

Since I planted it ...it rained continously more or lessgor 7 days....bloody marvellous. 

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 12:38pm

i.e. wind resistant.

We have had two tunnels. First one in Kent for 6 years and this one here in Rhydcymerau since 2019 - never a problem. I have to say this latest tunnel was superbly engineered ( British). Its quite large 35 foot x 14 foot & has inground anchors every 5 foot, & a bracing structure both horizontally and at each corner angle.

Diane & I installed it & had some fun getting the one piece cover on - any small gust of wind & its back to the start!!!!! If you want any further info on supplier just PM me. 

Brilliant....we have a home in Hill Mountain...clue to my question is in the name!

Will definitely reach out when the day comes ( home for good in the Summer).
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 12:50pm

i.e. wind resistant.

Brilliant....we have a home in Hill Mountain...clue to my question is in the name!

Have a feeling I may have played cricket there many years ago. Lovely area of Pembs., Losing our intrepid African correspondent is a blow but welcome home Wil in advance. If you are around the Lampeter/Llandeilo area call in for a coffee and see it first hand. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 1:04pm
Tidy.

Burton cricket ground is about 200 yards away.

25+ years on the road, 4th grandchild on the way, son 3 off to Uni in Wales, daughter wants to come to Wales for her A's....yep...its time!

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 1:19pm

Tidy.

Burton cricket ground is about 200 yards away.

25+ years on the road, 4th grandchild on the way, son 3 off to Uni in Wales, daughter wants to come to Wales for her A's....yep...its time!

But the best cricket team is a just down the road towards Black Tar Wink
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 2:48pm
Hook?
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 3:03pm

Hook?

Wash your mouth out LOLLOL
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 3:08pm

i.e. wind resistant.

Have a feeling I may have played cricket there many years ago. Lovely area of Pembs., Losing our intrepid African correspondent is a blow but welcome home Wil in advance. If you are around the Lampeter/Llandeilo area call in for a coffee and see it first hand

Would you believe it ??? I'm in that area soon. I'll call in, cheaper thatn buying a coffee. Do you supply biscuits as well ??LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic