Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gardening & Growing thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 7:22am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

How durable are those poly tunnels GPR?

i.e. wind resistant.

We have had two tunnels. First one in Kent for 6 years and this one here in Rhydcymerau since 2019 - never a problem. I have to say this latest tunnel was superbly engineered ( British). Its quite large 35 foot x 14 foot & has inground anchors every 5 foot, & a bracing structure both horizontally and at each corner angle.

Diane & I installed it & had some fun getting the one piece cover on - any small gust of wind & its back to the start!!!!! If you want any further info on supplier just PM me. 

Brilliant....we have a home in Hill Mountain...clue to my question is in the name!

Will definitely reach out when the day comes ( home for good in the Summer).

Have a feeling I may have played cricket there many years ago. Lovely area of Pembs., Losing our intrepid African correspondent is a blow but welcome home Wil in advance. If you are around the Lampeter/Llandeilo area call in for a coffee and see it first hand

Would you believe it ??? I'm in that area soon. I'll call in, cheaper thatn buying a coffee. Do you supply biscuits as well ??LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

You are more than welcome. We can have coffee & biscuits in the polytunnel - heating in the house is off see - bloody expensive.Ouch
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 8:21am
I've just put my first crop of rice in my garden as it's raining all the time Cry
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 9:42am

Quick tip while fresh on my mind. Slugs/snails. We save up our egg shells, batch dry them out when using our oven and then crush & store. They are very handy to scatter around tender plants which attract slugs/snails. 
About 3 or 4 years ago, we had an infestation of large (giant really) orange coloured slugs. They were everywhere and ate everything.  It was just for one summer and haven't seen them since.  Anyone else had them?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2023 at 7:13am
Busy time of the year if you have a polytunnel as lots of Spring planting veg can be sown that little bit earlier. Currently we have onions, leeks, beetroot, broad beans, spring onions & cabbage plants showing through ready for onward planting in our raised beds later when spring finally arrives. Have some lovely looking tomato plants in our heated propagator - they will be ready to plant out in the polytunnel in a  couple of weeks. They will be followed by cucumbers & peppers. 

At the moment we are harvesting autumn planting broccoli, lettuce & spring onions with some cauliflowers ready in a couple of weeks. Our first early potatoes planted last week are starting to show through. Happy days. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2023 at 7:10am
Picked our first asparagus of the season yesterday. First time tried in a polytunnel - a good 4 weeks earlier than outside here.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2023 at 8:43am
As a victim of jet lag I was watching a piece on the 'salad crisis' in the UK this morning. i thought it was just a short term supply chain fracture, but it's far more than that.

Growing your own just gained momentum.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2023 at 10:13am

As a victim of jet lag I was watching a piece on the 'salad crisis' in the UK this morning. i thought it was just a short term supply chain fracture, but it's far more than that.

Growing your own just gained momentum.

Higher fuel costs are hitting British growers very hard. I guess its going to be veg and salad crops outside their normal seasons which will suffer the most. 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2023 at 10:19am
And don't forget Brexit , it's so much harder for European suppliers to negotiate the rats nest of paperwork that now exists that didn't before 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2023 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

And don't forget Brexit , it's so much harder for European suppliers to negotiate the rats nest of paperwork that now exists that didn't before 

Bit of a red herring in all honesty. I have been exporting to Europe for the last 15 years & whilst the paperwork since Brexit has increased it is no more than a small piece of extra work. I accept food stuffs are more tightly controlled but once the producer and freight company have completed the first shipment the prototype paperwork is then in place & things should run pretty smoothly. 

Of course if a producer in Spain is suffering from poor growing conditions like last Autumn apparently then the reduced amount of products will be shipped closer to home. That is just economics and nothing to do with the demon Brexit. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2023 at 8:02am
minus 1C in the polytunnel last night. Golden rule for tunnel users - daily weather/temperature checks. 
tigerburnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 3:07pm
Hadn't noticed this before, I post on a couple or so gardening forums and started doing the videos primarily for newish gardeners, it helped with my re-hab after cancer surgery too.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Hadn't noticed this before, I post on a couple or so gardening forums and started doing the videos primarily for newish gardeners, it helped with my re-hab after cancer surgery too.

Cheers Burnie. Hope you well on the road to recovery. We have a growing & gardening thread along with a cooking thread. look forward to your contributions. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 5:39pm

Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Cheers Burnie. Hope you well on the road to recovery. We have a growing & gardening thread along with a cooking thread. look forward to your contributions. 
Good luck with your re-hab and post op recovery. May it be given a big boost this weekend by an away win in Leinster’s home ground for big games.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 05 April 2023 at 5:40pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2023 at 8:20am
Early potatoes planted a month ago are now a foot tall (300mm - Oracle); planted the outdoor earlies on Monday/Tuesday then see the forecast for frost next week - fleece & straw at the ready!!!!!
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2023 at 11:42am
Thanks for thinking of me LOL....moving to olden next Tuesday , no potatoes just more snow and blizzards expected ...I can't remember the last time I walked on soil not snow ..I can empathise with reindeer LOL
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2023 at 8:56am
Minus 1 in tunnel last night. Unhappy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic