Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Andy Hill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Andy Hill
    Posted: 10 March 2023 at 10:36am

Sad to here of the passing of Andy Hill 😢 another one of the 9-3  legends !!! One of  Wales finest players never to be fully capped .
Sponsored Links

Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 10:40am
311 tries in 453 matches. That’s some record.

RIP
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

311 tries in 453 matches. That’s some record.

RIP

And a great goal kicker too. Sad to hear of his death. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 10:53am
Very sad news rip
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 10:59am
He was just a constant for us. A constant in the team, try scorer, kicker.

No fuss, he was an all for the shirt type player.

His try record will never be surpassed.

RIP and condolences to his family.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 11:01am
Excellent clubman & player. RIP. 
cymraes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymraes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 11:23am
My childhood hero. RIP Andy. 

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 11:24am
One of my heroes growing up in seventies sad news indeed. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 11:31am
If he was born a decade later he would have had a bucket full of caps ..R.I.P

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 11:37am
Oh no, of all the players that day he was one that stuck in my memory.

In 1972 on that grey dank day a team of 15 stood tall and withstood a battering and thuggery to deliver the last Welsh win against the formidable New Zealand. 

Roger Davies, JJ Williams, Roy Bergiers, Ray Gravell, Andy Hill, Phil Bennett, Chico Hopkins, Tony Crocker, Roy Thomas, Barry Llewellyn, Delme Thomas Capt, Derek Quinnell, Tommy David, Hefin Jenkins, Gareth Jenkins.

People band names and superlatives about players today as if its appropriate in this throw away society. But this team were as Aber posted yesterday "standing on the shoulders of Giants."

But this team, THIS TEAM....THESE GUYS, did Llanelly proud and played like real heroes in a time when financial rewards were not the driving motivators...but playing for 20,000 of their neighbours family and friends. In a Town of 50,000 most of us were all there, to watch history that may never be repeated, little did we know how history would cocoon this masterpiece of brilliance, captured in song, in film and smiles of those that were there.

As I've stated so many times it was not my sport, football mad I was , so this game was alien to me. But what grabbed my young heart and soul was being surrounded by my townsfolk , my friends in school, the vastness of the crowd, the singing, the roar and noise of the crowd was like hearing an orchestral symphony blasting into my ears, the noise, oh the roar, was the greatest emotional feeling that stirs the soul......this never leaves you...ever.

And there on the slopping green field were fifteen players in Scarlet and in the distance players in black, looking menacing and mean to me. 
And it kicked off and the noise, the noise.

I remember Bergiers scoring his try after charging down a clearance by All blacks Lin Colling after Benny hit the crossbar from a penalty into play.....Benny kicking the ball over the posts and I remember players being tackled and trambled over, the ball being passed by Chico and the players fighting and holding their own.

But I remember Andy Hill, for me he looked like a football player, elegant and somehow not getting involved in the rough stuff, I thought then I'd like to play where he was and he could kick. Wonderful.

What a player....although that Scarlet side was filled with true Giants, I loved watching Andy, I could be him and I wanted to, what a player, he played 453 matches over 12 years for the Scarlets and amassed 2, 604 points....incredible when you work it out ......he was quick, he was one of our best with 311 tries.....he truly was one of the great Scarlet players .

He kicked a penalty on that day in 1972 which I remember thinking I wish I could kick like that and I spent the rest of my young life watching Andy doing what he did best,  scoring tries and thumping that ball so high and far, he was and will always be one of my Scarlet hero's. 

My deepest condolences to his family and friends and to all who know him personally. 

For me at the beginning of this post I wrote oh no, because that's what I said when I heard he had passed, a piece of my history just left today and I'm cut deep by it.

Memories of events in life never leave us because they are so monumental in their power and stature that picture frames are locked deep inside our thoughts and our own personal journey through time.

Today right now I see a dank October day , a green sloping pitch, 20,000 Welsh people and a superstar in Scarlet running, he was Andy Hill, 

" If I have seen further it is by standing on the Shoulders of Giants"

And he was a true giant..... run free Sir.

Edited by lofty evans - 10 March 2023 at 11:40am
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
insidehalf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insidehalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 11:47am
Great player, great Scarlet and a hell of a nice bloke, had time for everybody. RIP Andy.
Gayle Matths View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gayle Matths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 11:50am
Wonderful player RIP Andy.

Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 11:57am
Part of an era we will never see again 
mark in sydney View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mark in sydney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 12:27pm
Sad news, even being so far away from Llanelli I think of my childhood team of the 70s i watched on the wall in front of the tanner bank … Andy was a constant in that side … he was always consistent .. consistently good that is ..and would have had a bucket full of Welsh caps in another era 

There were those who said he was only in the side for his goal kicking, which was tremendously accurate and the round the corner style became popular after years of toe first kicking…but his try scoring, I used to love the  mid week floodlight alliance games with no conversions he held his own is a backline that could put on 10 tries on any opposition in a game 

I was there ...one Tuesday when the All Blacks came (and lost)
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 12:39pm
Devastated to hear of the passing of the legendary andy hill
He must surely have been the most under rated low keyed superstar ever...His record is extraordinary
Does anyone have any single footage of an interview with the great man? Its unbelievable to think a man who broke every record had such a low profile and no footage. I assume he enjoyed the quiet life
RIP Andy and diolch
sir duckling tuft
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2023 at 12:41pm
deepest condolences to andys family. great man who will be sadly missed
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic