Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2023-24 Squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 62>
Author
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 2:03pm
I think he is incredibly important to us. I'm a little uneasy why some think it's ok to let go players in key positions like this. Good TH's are hard to come by, and Samson has only just turned 30.

Achilles injuries are tough for anyone, and it's long rehab for sure, but the injuries were different ankles and were in fact 7 years apart.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 2:25pm
If Samson gets back anywhere near his best he will be our No 1 tight head for sure. It wasn't that many years ago when I saw him take a fully loaded Leinster front row apart at PYS. As I say anywhere near his best & Gatland will be all over him. 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 2:55pm
I think Samson has the ability to regain his crown as best Welsh tight head 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

I think Samson has the ability to regain his crown as best Welsh tight head 

I really hope so but for now, a run to the end of the season will suffice for me.
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 3:02pm
I’m not sure anybody is saying to cut Samson. My
Belief is let’s see how he does, and hopefully he’s back 100% and a well needed player in the team. If that’s the case, I could see WGJ leaving. Jeffries too perhaps?
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Tony Clifton Tony Clifton wrote:

I’m not sure anybody is saying to cut Samson. My
Belief is let’s see how he does, and hopefully he’s back 100% and a well needed player in the team. If that’s the case, I could see WGJ leaving. Jeffries too perhaps?
Jeffries, now there is a man on money for old rope.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Raised By Peregos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raised By Peregos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 3:28pm
I thought Wainright was an only to the end of the season job? I'd like us to keep him mind.

I'd rather have a Beirne-type second row than just a big bruiser. All the top sides are moving away from that (apart from the French league itself perhaps). I agree size is good, but you need to be more than just a lump enforcer. 

TBH if we could poach Tshuinza and Jenkins from Exeter we'd be sorted. 

Sidenote... I wish him well but I'd be pushing Hardy out of the door. Anyone who has seen Cawdor, Blacker, Hughes and Williams are plenty (personally I think Hughes will be our first choice in 1-3 seasons). 
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 3:40pm
Thought it was more likely to be Blacker out the door?
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Raised By Peregos Raised By Peregos wrote:

I thought Wainright was an only to the end of the season job? I'd like us to keep him mind.

I'd rather have a Beirne-type second row than just a big bruiser. All the top sides are moving away from that (apart from the French league itself perhaps). I agree size is good, but you need to be more than just a lump enforcer. 

Sidenote... I wish him well but I'd be pushing Hardy out of the door. Anyone who has seen Cawdor, Blacker, Hughes and Williams are plenty (personally I think Hughes will be our first choice in 1-3 seasons). 

Sadly I'm not sure we're in the position to poach an egg let alone those pair.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Like many on here I have been pondering the make up of our squad with our enforced reductions. My gut feeling is that we are probably better off than most regions having two areas which other regions may be short of.

Firstly we have a number of squad members who are naturally coming up to their twilight years - this will not have come as a surprise to us so planning will/should have been in place. I include in this category - Halfpenny, Foxy, Ken, Phil Price & Sione.

Secondly we have some players who have had to retire/move due to injury/lack of action etc - Blade, Lezana, Rawlins, Helps, Jeffries, Baldwin.

I guess my point is that we have reductions to our squad which were probably going to happen anyway.

For sure some will leave that we want to keep - Javan for example but so far we are coming through this ahead of our rivals. 

Finally we then have to look to the future & where we stand. Undoubtedly the financial constraints will mean that players from the academy are going to seeing more playing time than historically. Many of us have been calling for this for many years. Looking at the French example most, if not all, of their under 20's squad were full time members of either top 14 squads or Pro D. It is very usual to see 19-21 year olds breaking into the full French squad even with their depth. 

We have young players who are about to be given their first team chances - Sam O'Connor, Lewis Morgan, Pritchard, Caleb Salmon, Griff Evans, Luca Giannini, Ben Williams, Harri Williams, Archie Hughes, Eddie James.

To sum up I guess it is certainly ground zero for regional rugby at the moment but am I as despondent as I thought I would be - unequivocally no. The off field management have to realise that quality coaching is going to be fundamental to our survival. Nobody is going to tell me that we do not have talented footballers who are able to compete but it is going to take very canny management & coaching to do it. 

Assuming we will have a squad of 38/39 players (not including academy lads) I think we will be looking at a squad close to:

1. Wyn Jones
2. Kemsley Mathias
3. Steff Thomas
4. Sam OConnor
5. Ryan Elias
6. Ken Owen
7. Daf Hughes
8. Shaun Evans
9. Sam Wainwright
10. Hari OConnor
11. Samson Lee
10. WGJ
11. Sam Lousi
12. Vaea Fifita
13. Morgan Jones
14. Jac Price
15. Josh Macleod
16. Dan Davis
17. Carwyn Tuipolotu
18. Ben Williams
19. Iwan Shenton
20. Gareth Davies
21. Dane Blacker
22. Archie Hughes
23. Hari Williams
24. Sam Costelow
25. Dan Jones
26. Josh Phillips
27. Ryan Conbeer
28. Steff Evans
29. Tom Rogers
30. Johnny Mcnicholl
31. Foxy
32. Johnny Williams
33. Joe Roberts
34. Scott Williams
35. Ioan Nicholas
36. Eddie James

Looking at above, pure guess work, with potentially 2 or 3 players coming in - back row and lock...and depending who stays/goes, potentially a tight head as well. Ben Frys name been thrown around on social media that he's heading our way. Decent signing if true.
What the above does show is that we will be better off than other 3 regions...also, i think this season has been a bit of a blessing. whether we knew this chaos was coming, but its as if we have planned for a worst case scenario more than other 3. We have brought through the likes of Kemsley, OConnor, Jac Price, Tuipolotu, Costelow, Joe Roberts etc, Shenton, Ben Williams and Ed James now having some game time as well...will hold us in good stead for next season IMO especiall as I dont see us losing much many to the World Cup.
Raised By Peregos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raised By Peregos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by Raised By Peregos Raised By Peregos wrote:

Sadly I'm not sure we're in the position to poach an egg let alone those pair.

We can dream! 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 4:40pm
Let's see how the vote goes Sunday first 
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 4:48pm
I’m not too up to date at the moment what’s the vote about and who’s voting
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

I’m not too up to date at the moment what’s the vote about and who’s voting
Do we want to lose multi-millions of sponsorship and stick with the current governance rules, or change them, allow more independents and set about completely changing the culture and thinning the gravy.

Have just started a topic on General Rugby called Sunday’s Governance Vote and posted an interesting article.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 9:08pm
Thank you I’ll have a look
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2023 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Nicholas will be a crucial player next season with his ability to cover every back position. Still a very thinned out squad. Fitness and injuries will determine how we do. 
 Muxh underrated player. Like other utility players the focus of fans can get a bit diffused as to his worth with no specific position locked in. But he never lets us down
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 62>
  Share Topic