Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2023-24 Squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 62>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2023 at 9:20am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Nicholas will be a crucial player next season with his ability to cover every back position. Still a very thinned out squad. Fitness and injuries will determine how we do. 
 Muxh underrated player. Like other utility players the focus of fans can get a bit diffused as to his worth with no specific position locked in. But he never lets us down

I know utility players have their worth but what is his preferred and best position and what's  his best attribute?

Sponsored Links

Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2023 at 10:44am
That he never lets us down, whatever position he plays is surely an attribute of importance and the fact that he can cover 3 or 4 positions must be significant.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2023 at 10:52am
He's often my first name on the team sheet 
insidehalf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insidehalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2023 at 10:52am
With squads being shrunk we will need more players who are comfortable playing in more than one position.
Props who can hold their own on either side of the scrum (very rare these days I know)
2nd rows who can play somewhere in the back row and back rowers who can do a job in the 2nd row.
Backs who can cover more than 1 position comfortably and more than 1 kicker on the park.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2023 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I think he is incredibly important to us. I'm a little uneasy why some think it's ok to let go players in key positions like this. Good TH's are hard to come by, and Samson has only just turned 30.

Achilles injuries are tough for anyone, and it's long rehab for sure, but the injuries were different ankles and were in fact 7 years apart.

Totally agree the daftest position on the pitch needs a specific mindset and frame and Samson fits it perfectly...hope he is injury free going forward...no pun intended. 

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2023 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Raised By Peregos Raised By Peregos wrote:

I thought Wainright was an only to the end of the season job? I'd like us to keep him mind.

I'd rather have a Beirne-type second row than just a big bruiser. All the top sides are moving away from that (apart from the French league itself perhaps). I agree size is good, but you need to be more than just a lump enforcer. 

TBH if we could poach Tshuinza and Jenkins from Exeter we'd be sorted. 

Sidenote... I wish him well but I'd be pushing Hardy out of the door. Anyone who has seen Cawdor, Blacker, Hughes and Williams are plenty (personally I think Hughes will be our first choice in 1-3 seasons). 

Agree Pegs.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
HollowayScarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollowayScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2023 at 7:56am
WOL reporting on Halfpenny's future.

Peel said: "Those talks are ongoing. We're having conversations with him around his future. Those sorts of decisions, especially with someone like him, will be made in the next couple of weeks, I suppose."

I assumed there would be no way we could afford to renew his contract without the WRU 80%, but sounds like we are exploring options. I would be chuffed if we found a way, but not keeping my hopes up.

Do I remember reading he had been doing some coaching as well?
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2023 at 8:09am
We are going to have more coaches than Arthur Thomas if this carries on LOL
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2023 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

We are going to have more coaches than Arthur Thomas if this carries on LOL
He would be invaluable as a mentor and fine example for younger players I’ve noticed Costellow mimicking Halfpenny’s  kicking style this season and he has certainly improved. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2023 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I think he is incredibly important to us. I'm a little uneasy why some think it's ok to let go players in key positions like this. Good TH's are hard to come by, and Samson has only just turned 30.

Achilles injuries are tough for anyone, and it's long rehab for sure, but the injuries were different ankles and were in fact 7 years apart.

If Samson has recovered from his injury, he must stay - it would be like a new (and top class)signing.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Tov View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2023 at 2:23pm
With talk of London Irish folding, I wonder if our Tongans can persuade Adam Coleman to come on board.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 11:12pm
Whose contracts are up at the end of the season? - have the Scarlets released the names. I'm afraid that unless we are legally obliged to do so, it would be difficult to keep Foxy, Scott Williams and Corey Baldwin, when we also have centres Jonny Williams, Joe Roberts, Eddie James, Ioan Nicholas and Macs Page in the squad.
Where we are weakest is at second row and outside half and we need to be looking for relatively inexpensive, promising youngsters to sign in these positions.
It will be very sad to bid farewell to some older players who have made great contributions over the years. Lets just hope that those who want to, manage to get a final payout at clubs with quite a bit more money than the Welsh regions are likely to have next season.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2023 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Whose contracts are up at the end of the season? - have the Scarlets released the names. I'm afraid that unless we are legally obliged to do so, it would be difficult to keep Foxy, Scott Williams and Corey Baldwin, when we also have centres Jonny Williams, Joe Roberts, Eddie James, Ioan Nicholas and Macs Page in the squad.
Where we are weakest is at second row and outside half and we need to be looking for relatively inexpensive, promising youngsters to sign in these positions.
It will be very sad to bid farewell to some older players who have made great contributions over the years. Lets just hope that those who want to, manage to get a final payout at clubs with quite a bit more money than the Welsh regions are likely to have next season.

How are we weak at OH? Costelow is an excellent prospect, and may well go on to win many caps for Wales. Patchell is a superb attacking 10 with a long boot as well. Dan Jones is a steady eddie type who never lets us down, and a class goal kicker. If we retain those three - no problem. 

I'd say no. 8 is more problematic... Kalamafoni has been immense, but I don't see anyone with the same engine capable of making so many carries per match/season. Carwyn will do his bit and is developing, but do we want to shift Fifita from his current second row/no. 6 role? That would leave another gap, and he's a different type of runner to Kala - fast but less of a battering ram. 
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2023 at 2:28pm
I sincerely hope that Patchell stays but it has been rumoured that he will be one of the ones moving on. If so we are depending on Costelow to remain injury free and not being called up for Wales or we only have Dan Jones who is hardly a top class outside half in a crucial position.
I agree that No8 is also a weakness with Kalamafoni's departure and I wish I had your confidence that Carwyn is a good replacement with more pace. I think Fifita should stay in the back row and maybe move to 8, unless Carwyn can make a lot of progress or we can find another ball carrying 8.
hartson11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hartson11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2023 at 2:30pm
10 clearly is going to be a problem next season despite Aber fan's optimism.

Strong rumours that Patchell won't be returning, Dan Jones is a third string 10 at best in my opinion, and with the impending international retirements of Biggar, Anscombe post RWC, Costelow could be out of bounds for us in the first three months of 2024.

Edited by hartson11 - 31 March 2023 at 2:30pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2023 at 2:40pm
On the subject of 10 I also note that Josh Phillips has been released - as reported on SF recently. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 62>
  Share Topic