Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brexit explained

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 7:36am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I voted remain because it was going to be lass hassle for me to travel in europe. A selfish reason  i grant you, tbh  I have no huge concerns about the politics of it all. However the eu seemed to out grow it’s original idea of being a common market into being some sort of super state, when did it morph into a body with all these powers and policies? On the whole we are better in in than out of it i would sAy but plenty of eu nations seems skint to it is hardly a pancea to all our ills. There are plenty of affluent non eu natons who are doing just fine our current ills are mainly due to inept uk govt than leaving the uk. Tbh i have the fall back option of an irish passport than i will likely take up

Some sense at last and from a remainer - I will mark this down in my diary. Those who wish to constantly rubbish a democratic vote should be very careful what they wish for. Cast a glance at what is going on in Russia & see what living without a free press and democracy looks like. 

RR you are quite correct of course - this EU oasis is pure fiction. For sure France & Germany may be doing Ok but look at the economies of Spain, Italy, Greece & Portugal. Even in France & Germany the rise in power of the far right is sending shock waves through their political establishments. For sure I did expect some grown up governance from any British government post Brexit but to rubbish the general principle because you are experiencing a small delay leaving the ferry FFS. The other favourite, of course, that is wheeled out is that some demons actually voted for Brexit and lo and behold the buggers now live in France. Why not?? You can still think its correct for Brexit but want to live somewhere in Europe - they are not mutually exclusive. 

I did hope that once the vote had taken place that the population would collectively move on but it appears that is not the case. Quite sad really. 
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 8:45am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

There is no trade agreement with Europe currently but the UK has just signed one with oceana which brings in an additional 0.08% to our GDP ...which has gone down by 4% per year since Brexit ...so effectively it will take 5 years to offset leaving the European market , but if course by then we would have lost 20% , so the only emotion it stirs in a normal person is tears of sorrow 

The UK Trade Agreement with the eu was signed on 30 December 2020, was applied provisionally as of 1 January 2021 and entered into force on 1 May 2021

Thanks Roy - these facts really do get in the way of  a good story. Ouch
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 9:08am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

There is no trade agreement with Europe currently but the UK has just signed one with oceana which brings in an additional 0.08% to our GDP ...which has gone down by 4% per year since Brexit ...so effectively it will take 5 years to offset leaving the European market , but if course by then we would have lost 20% , so the only emotion it stirs in a normal person is tears of sorrow 

The UK Trade Agreement with the eu was signed on 30 December 2020, was applied provisionally as of 1 January 2021 and entered into force on 1 May 2021

Thanks Roy - these facts really do get in the way of  a good story. Ouch

Just trying to bring some balance back to the 1 eyed universe😂

Edited by roy munster - 05 April 2023 at 9:08am
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 9:08am
I thank You for highlighting these facts , but without freedom of movement getting the product to us from Europe is prohibitive ...And I feel sorry for our government in the sense they have to keep ignoring the elephant in the room ..take for instance the shortage of vegetables s few weeks back ..bad weather , was blamed on us having empty shelves , but strangely the rest of Europe had full shelves of lovely fresh vegetables , so I can assume the weather problem must have been in the English channel ....Red tape and massive delays in getting out of the UK might also have been to blame ...but let's not let facts get in the way of a good made up story ...and nelly the elephant stands in the corner of the room wandering what next piece of lunacy is going to be spouted by the besxiteers
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 9:20am

I thank You for highlighting these facts , but without freedom of movement getting the product to us from Europe is prohibitive ...And I feel sorry for our government in the sense they have to keep ignoring the elephant in the room ..take for instance the shortage of vegetables s few weeks back ..bad weather , was blamed on us having empty shelves , but strangely the rest of Europe had full shelves of lovely fresh vegetables , so I can assume the weather problem must have been in the English channel ....Red tape and massive delays in getting out of the UK might also have been to blame ...but let's not let facts get in the way of a good made up story ...and nelly the elephant stands in the corner of the room wandering what next piece of lunacy is going to be spouted by the besxiteers

Lets deal with that red herring first shall we. I accept that some parts of the Uk struggled with supply but I have to say my weekly privately owned veg stall in Llanybydder has been bursting with fresh veg since Xmas. Be that as it may there were two reasons given for the shortage - firstly British growers did not sow under heat because of the prodigious cost of fuel; secondly drought conditions in the Autumn/early winter in parts of Spain led to a shortage of product. Faced with the option of selling your goods to a market close to home or spending extra money sending them to the UK what would farmer Oracle do????

The 2nd red herring of course is that freedom of movement has caused an increase in costs. The biggest increase in costs has nothing whatsoever to do with freedom of movement it is the increased costs of fuel. As I have said I have been exporting to Europe for 15 years. The additional cost of paperwork etc is miniscule certainly when looked at in comparison to freight costs. If I had a finite amount of asparagus in my polytunnel and people in Carmarthenshire who would take all of it why the hell would I send it to Spain or Germany. Time to get real methinks!!!!
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 9:29am
Time to open your biased eyes I believe , the elephant is looking at you 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 9:43am

Time to open your biased eyes I believe , the elephant is looking at you 

Oracle please point out what is incorrect about what I posted. Debate is fine and interesting but just writing off someone's views because they disagree with yours or ignoring the case I made is not really a debate is it? 

For every example like Aber's American based colleague/friend there will be a tale showing the opposite like a friend of mine from Cornwall who has now been able to carry on his families' fishing history which was ruined by too many overseas vessels in UK waters. These cases are facts of life which happen when any major political/financial decision is made. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 9:51am

I thank You for highlighting these facts , but without freedom of movement getting the product to us from Europe is prohibitive ...And I feel sorry for our government in the sense they have to keep ignoring the elephant in the room ..take for instance the shortage of vegetables s few weeks back ..bad weather , was blamed on us having empty shelves , but strangely the rest of Europe had full shelves of lovely fresh vegetables , so I can assume the weather problem must have been in the English channel ....Red tape and massive delays in getting out of the UK might also have been to blame ...but let's not let facts get in the way of a good made up story ...and nelly the elephant stands in the corner of the room wandering what next piece of  lunacy is going to be spouted by the besxiteers
wasn’t shortage of veg was it? Was a few items that grow seasonly, you’d swear it was the potato famine the fuss some folk made out of it. Woe is me i can’t get some peppersWink

Edited by RR1972 - 05 April 2023 at 9:51am
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 10:13am

I thank You for highlighting these facts , but without freedom of movement getting the product to us from Europe is prohibitive ...And I feel sorry for our government in the sense they have to keep ignoring the elephant in the room ..take for instance the shortage of vegetables s few weeks back ..bad weather , was blamed on us having empty shelves , but strangely the rest of Europe had full shelves of lovely fresh vegetables , so I can assume the weather problem must have been in the English channel ....Red tape and massive delays in getting out of the UK might also have been to blame ...but let's not let facts get in the way of a good made up story ...and nelly the elephant stands in the corner of the room wandering what next piece of  lunacy is going to be spouted by the besxiteers
wasn’t shortage of veg was it? Was a few items that grow seasonly, you’d swear it was the potato famine the fuss some folk made out of it. Woe is me i can’t get some peppersWink

I'm glad you agree it happened and obviously we all know the real costs ...the problem of not getting a few peppers is really not the issue though is it , but obviously if you don't like peppers it doesn't affect you ....
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 10:21am

I'm glad you agree it happened and obviously we all know the real costs ...the problem of not getting a few peppers is really not the issue though is it , but obviously if you don't like peppers it doesn't affect you ....

Still using our peppers which we froze from our huge crop last season.LOL
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 10:35am
I like strawberries , as a kid we never had them in winter i didn’t moan groan and have a tatrum about it. If you can’t get peppers for a few weeks tough luck or as they say in the eu cest la vie. The great pepper shortage of 2023 will not live long in the memoryWink
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 10:36am
I've had to eat so many turnips because of the supermarkets shortage , my wife is calling me Baldrick Wink
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 10:41am

I've had to eat so many turnips because of the supermarkets shortage , my wife is calling me Baldrick Wink
but do you have a cunning plan? 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 10:48am
Like a fox in Oxford 
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 12:00pm
Don't think there are any respected analysts of Brexit now trying to say that Brexit is a success. All are saying we are worse off.

A third of leave voters now dubbed 'Bregreters' think it was a mistake to leave the EU. If people had only been correctly informed, think what this would have done to the vote in 2016.  It would have resulted in a whopping 65% Remain to 35% leave.

We have to move on as others are saying but for me, moving on means raising the level of political debate in this country out of the gutter so that we have a democracy that actually works for all, not just the few who have no doubt benefited at the expense of the many who are losing out.

In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2023 at 12:54pm

Are you going to retract your mis-truth ?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic