Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v England women

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales v England women
    Posted: 16 April 2023 at 1:39am
Came back yesterday (sat ) evening after a chastening experience at Cardiff Arms park.
Considering everything that's happened, should we have expected any other outcome ?

With the bulk of the squad now being pro for 6/7months and the core of 12, a year, it was expected &
most felt ,if not a win, maybe a closing of the gap.
We forget of course England .while wales are improving, are not standing still themselves.
They were without 19 players for 7's and injury, for this game.
The secret of course is that they have been pro for 3 years, and the development they have built in that period, allows them depth. Some of their players, new to me were hugely impressive

When Shaun Edwards was Gatland's right hand man, Gats success was built on Shaun , and the new steel France have proves this.
England's tackling in this game was at a level I have never seen before in the  women's game, and I have been a keen observer for 6/7 years.
Such was their dominance, they were able to employ 2 sweepers back for kicks.
their clinical edge and sheer pace was stunning. Much admired
Sadly on a negative note, we have some England fans , wallowing in their own arrogance on BBC online. Unnecessary really. 
Little wonder there weren't many glum faces at the result of the WC final in NZ, other than England

Wales to their absolute credit, never gave up, but clearly ,in the second half were tiring and England were then clinical.
For the first 25/30 mins Wales were e right in it taking the game to England, like I have never seen before.
Problem was ,our attacking options were limited and we did not turn pressure in to points in the red zone, whereas England took their chances.
The gulf in skill (Not physicality)is huge, and you cannot learn that in the gym , it takes time.

Wales need to find (develop) some backs, as it appears we have plenty of forwards able to compete,
This will be the next step developing depth from the U20's, U18's U16's, and persuading young girls to take up the game. Schools have a huge part to play here , not to offer narrow choices of netball/ hockey(incredibly sexist), as only options for them to peruse sport. 

One thing is for sure women's rugby is here to stay.
Nearly 9,000 people turned out to watch Wales V England yesterday, a new record.
Many thanks to all who came, your support was very much valued.
It was so exiting to see so many young enthusiastic people there ,cheering for both sides

Finally, I have a message for one notable SF poster, very quiet ATM, who clearly doesn't feel women's rugby is worth the investment until its self financing........
"Come in to to the kitchen and smell the coffee". Its great !
I stood yer on tanner bank
Sponsored Links

tim d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2023 at 4:27am
I have watched the last two girls under 18 six nations . England lost to France last year by 70 points. Yesterday England lost by 57-10. The rugby France played was incredible at times and will dominate women's rugby in years to come. Wales did ok but just basic skills need improving. They beat Scotland 17-7. Lost to England 10-5. Lost to France and Italy 7-0 and beat ireland yesterday 19-17. Plenty of talent coming through particularly up front.
I'm sick of it
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2023 at 4:37am
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Came back yesterday (sat ) evening after a chastening experience at Cardiff Arms park.
Considering everything that's happened, should we have expected any other outcome ?

With the bulk of the squad now being pro for 6/7months and the core of 12, a year, it was expected &
most felt ,if not a win, maybe a closing of the gap.
We forget of course England .while wales are improving, are not standing still themselves.
They were without 19 players for 7's and injury, for this game.
The secret of course is that they have been pro for 3 years, and the development they have built in that period, allows them depth. Some of their players, new to me were hugely impressive

When Shaun Edwards was Gatland's right hand man, Gats success was built on Shaun , and the new steel France have proves this.
England's tackling in this game was at a level I have never seen before in the  women's game, and I have been a keen observer for 6/7 years.
Such was their dominance, they were able to employ 2 sweepers back for kicks.
their clinical edge and sheer pace was stunning. Much admired
Sadly on a negative note, we have some England fans , wallowing in their own arrogance on BBC online. Unnecessary really. 
Little wonder there weren't many glum faces at the result of the WC final in NZ, other than England

Wales to their absolute credit, never gave up, but clearly ,in the second half were tiring and England were then clinical.
For the first 25/30 mins Wales were e right in it taking the game to England, like I have never seen before.
Problem was ,our attacking options were limited and we did not turn pressure in to points in the red zone, whereas England took their chances.
The gulf in skill (Not physicality)is huge, and you cannot learn that in the gym , it takes time.

Wales need to find (develop) some backs, as it appears we have plenty of forwards able to compete,
This will be the next step developing depth from the U20's, U18's U16's, and persuading young girls to take up the game. Schools have a huge part to play here , not to offer narrow choices of netball/ hockey(incredibly sexist), as only options for them to peruse sport. 

One thing is for sure women's rugby is here to stay.
Nearly 9,000 people turned out to watch Wales V England yesterday, a new record.
Many thanks to all who came, your support was very much valued.
It was so exiting to see so many young enthusiastic people there ,cheering for both sides

Finally, I have a message for one notable SF poster, very quiet ATM, who clearly doesn't feel women's rugby is worth the investment until its self financing........
"Come in to to the kitchen and smell the coffee". Its great !
That’s a fantastic crowd!The challenge for Ioan now is to reflect on this reality check result for the Welsh girls whilst keeping the positive learning experiences. How Shane Williams fancied Wales chances v England escapes me mind. He’s obviously a worse pundit re Ladies game than the men’s! 🤔

Edited by reesytheexile - 16 April 2023 at 6:18am
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2023 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by tim d tim d wrote:

I have watched the last two girls under 18 six nations . England lost to France last year by 70 points. Yesterday England lost by 57-10. The rugby France played was incredible at times and will dominate women's rugby in years to come. Wales did ok but just basic skills need improving. They beat Scotland 17-7. Lost to England 10-5. Lost to France and Italy 7-0 and beat ireland yesterday 19-17. Plenty of talent coming through particularly up front.

It seems we are in the same boat, as with seniors,  better than Scots and Irish, not a lot between us and Italian's, and well behind French and English. 
It's clear as day to me that, as a small country, vwe need to maximise  our talent pool, so more girls are playing rugby,and see it as a great activity,  and for the best,  a career  move.
Much more has to done in schools to remove misguided  historical  misnomer  that girls are restricted  to hockey and netball.
Of course its great they do these things as well, as eye coordination  , reaction, etc , is a skill for all sports.
More girls need to be playing rugby at an early  age,and this should not be the sole responsibility  of the clubs.
I coached yuniors from 8 upwards , tag at that stage.There were girls in the team, including  my daughter. 
Everyone, irrespective  of gender, learned to give and take a pass, and eventually  gravitate  to drawing  a defender before giving a pass.
Other skills follower  on and by the time the team reached U10's they had become almost natural.
Unless you were a phenomenal  player  like Kiran Hardy, who was frequently,  our opponent,  most players had to work hard it...but it comes.
What you saw yesterday, in the senior game was ,as I indicated in my original  post, a big disparity  in skills.
This can be honed from hard work,  but the sooner  that this starts, the better.
Putting people under pressure  to make the right decision on the field 
is easier if you have a finally tuned skills  set.
Making the right decision,  in reading  the game,and coping with whatever  the opposition  throws at you comes with experience .
I will be very interested to see how our age teams develop,  and hopefully  there are a few , who can push on.
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2023 at 4:39pm
Question on the sell out, stadium capacity at Cardiff Arms Park is 12125 ( Wikipedia so may not be exactly correct) but it’s more than 8000 so why did they stop selling tickets at 8000 seems some strange marketing 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2023 at 5:29pm
It was a tough watch in the 2nd half I can't lie. The difference is general fitenss and exeuction was obviously more apparent as the game went on.

France beat Scotland 55-0

Edited by Wil Chips - 16 April 2023 at 5:50pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2023 at 5:29pm
I think the score was disappointing, but there was no questioning the effort and calon the women put into that game.

A pity that in the period when they had more possession and territory - for about 25 min - they couldn't score more than a penalty - England defended really well. The score of 19-3 at half time didn't reflect the game at all, but England were clinical - and really dominated the second half.

I think that in the NH France and England are still a long way ahead of the rest... we'll have to see if the gap can be closed a bit when our professional players have had longer with that status and the extra time and training that brings.

Edited by aber-fan - 16 April 2023 at 5:30pm
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2023 at 3:50am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I think the score was disappointing, but there was no questioning the effort and calon the women put into that game.

A pity that in the period when they had more possession and territory - for about 25 min - they couldn't score more than a penalty - England defended really well. The score of 19-3 at half time didn't reflect the game at all, but England were clinical - and really dominated the second half.

I think that in the NH France and England are still a long way ahead of the rest... we'll have to see if the gap can be closed a bit when our professional players have had longer with that status and the extra time and training that brings.

Aber  is correct with his comments above
The France v Scotland game was a carbon copy of Wales V England.
Scotland, plenty of fight, early doors, but made little headway against a dominant defence.
France take their opportunities , then come the second half run away with it.
The skills of Vernier in the centre, are an absolute delight.
The way  France support the ball carrier , and handle with pace and panache is brilliant.
Still think England will have too much power for them though, but it will be a great game

I think realistically, Wales chances of beating France over there are slim , but I do think we have a chance of beating the Italians, and a third spot with three wins would not be a bad return at all.

I fear for the Irish next weekend , could be 80 points against England Confused
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2023 at 4:01pm
Anybody watching the women's game in France 29_0 Down Half Time 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2023 at 4:29pm
Good effort from Wales. Pick and drive get them over.

34-7 after 53
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2023 at 4:31pm
Wales solid in the scrum. France gas some serous talent in the outside backs.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2023 at 4:35pm
Wales picking up confidence and cross again.

34-14.

Wales bring on Pyrs and Tuipulotu in the front row. Pyrs got the 2nd try.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2023 at 5:04pm
I thought Wales really stood up in the 2nd half and gave as good as they got.

Overall France had a little more pace and dynamism, but the gap is closing ladies and gents.

39-14 ft (29-0 ht).

Big game for Wales next week ( v Italy).
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2023 at 5:49pm
Must admit \I was expecting a landslide against this french side, that must be the biggest noisiest crowd theyve ever encountered...showed some character there
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2023 at 12:36am
Some of the Wales girls have not played in quite as hostile an environment as that before.
Last year at Kingsholm, there was a big vociferous crowd, but today it was something else.
Don't know if that had any effect, but, Wales were slow out of the blocks, made some poor mistakes, and you CANNOT do that to a side of France's quality. They will take any opportunity, and they did .
One try was quite brilliant..in any form of rugby.

In fairness, Wales showed real character and quality in the second half, and could have nicked a third try
,but gave away prime field position , due to indiscipline by Sioned Harries.

Llecu George at inside centre , gives Wales a real kicking option, which they need .
This could prove vital against Italy. 
They have dangerous backs, but viewing the Scotland v Italy game, you could see the Italians are vulnerable in the scrum and driving line out , gaining field position therefore will be vital.

My only worry ATM that Wales have definitely moving forward, but have limited attacking weapons, particularly behind the scrum.
We need to unearth another Jaz Joyce , and a couple of others with pace
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2023 at 2:55pm
England have sold more than 50,000 tickets for their Grand Slam decider - crowds were around 10000 pre  Covid - it just shows success sells and the impact of some sensible marketing and investment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic