Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Next season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Next season
    Posted: 23 April 2023 at 11:11am
Not sure if I heard right but did they say in commentary that dragons next game is 20th October? Would it mean scarlets will be the same? 
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2023 at 12:24pm
Yeah, no rugby before the RWC as far as I know. 
Formerly Pemberton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formerly Pemberton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2023 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

Not sure if I heard right but did they say in commentary that dragons next game is 20th October? Would it mean scarlets will be the same? 
I heard that too, so at least 5 months between competitive fixtures. It's going to be a long summer!!
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2023 at 12:54pm
Going to need extra pre season friendlies or it will be Christmas before teams get up to speed.
Keep the faith
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2023 at 4:13pm
English Premiership & Championship clubs are competing in a reengineered Premiership Cup from September, with pool stages ahead of knock-out rounds - good way to start the season without RWC internationals, and interesting to involve the second tier.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65375927

A similar concept in thee URC probably wouldn't have the appeal, and it's tool late now to revive a Welsh-Anglo competition, sadly. So we'll probs just have another round of under-strength derbies for 'bragging rights' and another spare hub cap. Big smile

Or maybe we invite the likes of Merthyr, Ebbw Vale, Aberavon and even Ponty to play the pro sides in a pre-season mini league? Wink
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2023 at 5:08pm
Anglo Welsh competition , my what a funny concept ,the neediness of some in hoping our masters across the border might still throw want to throw us an old bone like a needy hound ..no wonder even the rest of the UK just shakes their heads in resignation and sorrow at our lack of back bone ...I've just spent several week in Norway with scots , Irish and Scandinavians , trying to explain not all Welshmen are ready to concede defeat ....it's been an ongoing ribbing I have had to endure .....apologise for the over reaction perhaps , but hopefully the next generation of adults will see things differently and they can shove any Anglo Welsh agreement in any facet of life in the bin , as anything coming from any governing English body has never ever benefited any Welsh man in any facet of life 
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2023 at 4:08pm
I'd be far more interested in taking on English rivals week in, week out than playing more meaningless 'home or away' matches against union-owned/controlled/funded teams from Italy, South Africa and even Scotland & Ireland.

More away supporters visiting Llanelli, the ability for fans to get to away games without the need for plane or a ferry or a second mortgage, and far more marketable and meaningful fixtures against the oldest enemy. They still may not think they need us, but it's something that I believe would work for rugby in both countries.
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2023 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

I'd be far more interested in taking on English rivals week in, week out than playing more meaningless 'home or away' matches against union-owned/controlled/funded teams from Italy, South Africa and even Scotland & Ireland.

More away supporters visiting Llanelli, the ability for fans to get to away games without the need for plane or a ferry or a second mortgage, and far more marketable and meaningful fixtures against the oldest enemy. They still may not think they need us, but it's something that I believe would work for rugby in both countries.

Good point Nobby.
I was in Kingsholm last year for the 2022 6N Eng vcWal match. 
Before the game,  I mingled withvGloucester fans in the pub, and they were 100% enthusiastic  for the suggestions indicated  in Nobby's post.
They remembered  , when we last played Gloucester, part of the shed was invaded by West Wales,  and the singing was great.
Far from being offended, they loved it.
I liked my Gloucester experience,  if not the result that day.
Passionate,  mainly working  class fans like Scarlets , love to be singing,
Playing  Gloucester,  and being accessible,  as Nobby,says, would be great. Sadly, do'nt think  it will happen though  !
I stood yer on tanner bank
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2023 at 8:48am
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Good point Nobby.
I was in Kingsholm last year for the 2022 6N Eng vcWal match. 
Before the game,  I mingled withvGloucester fans in the pub, and they were 100% enthusiastic  for the suggestions indicated  in Nobby's post.
They remembered  , when we last played Gloucester, part of the shed was invaded by West Wales,  and the singing was great.
Far from being offended, they loved it.
I liked my Gloucester experience,  if not the result that day.
Passionate,  mainly working  class fans like Scarlets , love to be singing,
Playing  Gloucester,  and being accessible,  as Nobby,says, would be great. Sadly, do'nt think  it will happen though  !

Agree with you both. Sometimes political thinking carries its influence way too far. Surely you can agree to the merits of a cross border competition where old rivalries are rekindled and travelling supporters get to add to the atmosphere. Support for a rugby competition does not have to equate to support for Westminster or indeed be taken as some sort of acceptance of historical wrongs. 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2023 at 9:35am
I did say I was venting in my defence Wink
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2023 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

I did say I was venting in my defence Wink

Feel better nowWink
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 1:02pm
Samson Lee starting tomorrow for Llandovery against Newport.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 1:05pm
That's great news for the big guy ...hope he gets through it without any further injuries
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 2:03pm
Great news about Samson starting is a big step hopefully he just gets a half or something but surely there will be a plan for him.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 2:43pm
Have a look at the quality in the Drovers team. The RFC stood no chance against that background. The player budget must be significant . Proper club with proper clubhouse 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Have a look at the quality in the Drovers team. The RFC stood no chance against that background. The player budget must be significant . Proper club with proper clubhouse 

A very well run organisation reesy - we are going to be relying on them a lot next season.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic