Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Frano Botica

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beefs army Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frano Botica
    Posted: 09 May 2023 at 8:16pm

Finding Frano Botica, the most controversial signing in Welsh rugby history

To this day Frano Botica remains the most high-profile and controversial signing in Welsh rugby history………..

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/finding-frano-botica-most-controversial-26876156
Bill Shankly: "If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win."
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Beefs army Beefs army wrote:

Finding Frano Botica, the most controversial signing in Welsh rugby history

To this day Frano Botica remains the most high-profile and controversial signing in Welsh rugby history………..

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/finding-frano-botica-most-controversial-26876156

Nice tale of misguided Scarlets ambition perhaps from Steff 👍

Edited by reesytheexile - 09 May 2023 at 9:01pm
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 9:15pm
Great piece by Steff.

I remember the buzz and excitement his signing created. Superstar player who was a class act for us. It created change in lots of ways, some bad some good but there was a fantastic feel good factor which I won't forget.
It's nuts looking back at the details of it all, but it's clear he loved playing for the club and the supporters and that is something we should all be proud of .....that the Scarlets create a culture unique in World rugby.....and I will take that everytime. 

Cheers Steff.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 10:15pm
Frano was a brilliant signing.  I had watched him on sky TV in awe of his game management and his goal kicking (which was almost like a golfer using a sand wedge to chip the ball onto the green - no run up and just a leisurely swing of the right foot) and couldn’t believe it when we announced that he was leaving league and coming to our wonderful club.
His signing nearly bankrupted us but he brought something to us that we hadn’t had prior to his arrival, he brought professionalism and that rubbed off on everyone inc the coaching staff - Gareth Jenkins credited him with that.  That set us up for the next decade or so and gave us a competitive edge over the other clubs in wales.
He was a very nice man too, who settled into life in pembrey really well.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 8:52am
A lovely story of a great person and how clear it is that he separates the blame for non-payment from the club to the individual concerned.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 9:31am
Great player but shame we had an average season or two whilst he was here, we didn’t exactly pull up trees and of course he had a long injury. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 9:46am
I remember the Mel Davies debacle didn't he own a caravan site somewhere?
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 1:27pm
He was a huge signing for us.  As well as his goal kicking and game management be brought a steely, professional edge.  I remember his never say die attitude in defence.  In one game we were 40 points up and the opposition were odds on to score a long range effort until he came from the other side of the field to make a try saving tackle at the corner flag.

It's terrible he's still not seen the money he was supposed go get and that he was happy with his family here and wanted to stay.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 5:01pm
An embarrassing period in our history 
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 8:25pm
I met him once in the video shop in trostre park , in his mokisons ....very small guy , but we both wanted the same VHS , only 1 left ..he moved forward for it but I came down his blind side and beat him to it ....I feel the Scarlets had signed the lesser person Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic