Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Giro d'Italia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Giro d'Italia
    Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:08am
Geraint tucked in in 6th place coming to stage 6 & so far managing to avoid the carnage which usually occurs. Yesterday's finish being a good point - first time I have seen Mark Cavendish going for a spring finish and crossing the line & his rear end. I remain in awe of these athletes & their durability. 
Sponsored Links

surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:39am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Geraint tucked in in 6th place coming to stage 6 & so far managing to avoid the carnage which usually occurs. Yesterday's finish being a good point - first time I have seen Mark Cavendish going for a spring finish and crossing the line & his rear end. I remain in awe of these athletes & their durability. 

Baffled by this, I think a full explanation is in order! LOL
Joshua24:15
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:44am
Originally posted by surfing-mtber surfing-mtber wrote:

Baffled by this, I think a full explanation is in order! LOL

On his rear end - apologies.Ouch
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 7:20am
Strong performances late on in the first week have pushed Geraint up the standings. Today is a rest day & he would have been 2nd overall going into the 10th stage but now leads as Evenepoel, the leader, pulls out with Covid. He, teammate Geoghan Hart & the wily Roglic are covered by 5 seconds - all to play for. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 7:50am

Strong performances late on in the first week have pushed Geraint up the standings. Today is a rest day & he would have been 2nd overall going into the 10th stage but now leads as Evenepoel, the leader, pulls out with Covid. He, teammate Geoghan Hart & the wily Roglic are covered by 5 seconds - all to play for. 
Sorry for Evenepoel and the fans for his having to withdraw and the consequent loss of spectacle.

There are few more worthy recipients of a bit of luck than G. Good on him. Here’s to a fascinating almost 2 weeks.

Which channel do you follow it on? I look at the Eurosport highlights package, however, I prefer the Ned Boulting, David Millar, Gary Imlach and all group who are my go to for the Tour.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Sorry for Evenepoel and the fans for his having to withdraw and the consequent loss of spectacle.

There are few more worthy recipients of a bit of luck than G. Good on him. Here’s to a fascinating almost 2 weeks.

Which channel do you follow it on? I look at the Eurosport highlights package, however, I prefer the Ned Boulting, David Millar, Gary Imlach and all group who are my go to for the Tour.

I too much prefer the sky sports coverage. The former riders are all interesting in explaining tactics etc to the non cyclists. I also find the local geography/places of interest/food specialities fascinating. During this and Le Tour they somehow manage to pass the time with great tales from past events and showcase the areas through which they travel. 

I agree with you about G - he has had some bad luck but that of course is the nature of the event. To still fly up those inclines at 37 is some going. Having  2 Ineos riders at the front will be a tough challenge for Roglic but he is a wily old fox. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 7:06am
Another crazy stage & we lose Geoghan-Hart. Geraint still has two other Ineos helpers in the top 10 but whether any of those can really pressure Roglic we will have to wait and see. 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 7:37am

Another crazy stage & we lose Geoghan-Hart. Geraint still has two other Ineos helpers in the top 10 but whether any of those can really pressure Roglic we will have to wait and see. 
So unforgiving is the Giro. Its timing and altitude make it very dramatic although this year appears a bit too much the case.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

So unforgiving is the Giro. Its timing and altitude make it very dramatic although this year appears a bit too much the case.

Yes late Spring can hold many surprises in Italy especially at altitude. Just look at the effect the rain is having on this weekends scheduled grand prix. Seeing these top riders navigate descents at 70+KPH on wet slippery surfaces is mind  boggling. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 9:26am
All the GC boys are biding their time waiting an opportunity. Geraint is in a tough spot with no cushion in reality and will have to take matters into his own hands soon to try to press home some additional time. 
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 11:27am
today stage is reduced from 192 to 75 km, all in mountain...
Hope all the attackers begin to wake up, it s a little bit boring at the moment...
I support Damiano Caruso, he comes from my home territory
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

today stage is reduced from 192 to 75 km, all in mountain...
Hope all the attackers begin to wake up, it s a little bit boring at the moment...
I support Damiano Caruso, he comes from my home territory
A good pro for many years.

Seems funny saying it’s a bit boring with all the incidents and withdrawals that have happened. A test of strength amongst the GC riders would be good, rather than just postponing the moves to save energy for the third e=week, necessary though that is. No one wants to do a (Simon?) Yates.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 7:19am
Interesting tactics from the peleton yesterday allowing the breakaway to go even though one of them would take the pink jersey. Also I didn't realise that the pink jersey holder had media duties after every stage which took away over an hour's recovery - clever thinking from the Ineos team with a tough stage to come today.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 9:18am

Interesting tactics from the peleton yesterday allowing the breakaway to go even though one of them would take the pink jersey. Also I didn't realise that the pink jersey holder had media duties after every stage which took away over an hour's recovery - clever thinking from the Ineos team with a tough stage to come today.
The media duties are the same at every Grand Tour event, maybe time taken is a little different but unlikely by much.

Good to see G put some of the retired riders from the darker era in their place when some of them commented that the shortening of stages due to weather-related danger. It was along the lines, “There are plenty of things that used to happen but don’t now and we’re proud of that. They can say what they like”.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:50am
Expect things to warm up in the next few days. GC contenders have a few mountain top finishes to concentrate the minds starting today. Also later this week we have a hilly time trial which can be a lottery. Think Geraint will fancy his chances of gaining some time at the time trial but won't want to rely on that. Someone is going to make a push for glory very soon. 
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 6:22pm
Geraint regains leader's jersey, 29 secs up on Roglic.  Sadly only 4 support riders left for Gee. It's going to be tough. Hilly time trial should be interesting.
Joshua24:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic