Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Jones New Wales U20. Coach

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mark Jones New Wales U20. Coach
    Posted: 11 May 2023 at 6:35pm

The Welsh Rugby Union has acted swiftly in replacing Hayward with Jones who has a vast pedigree as a former player with Wales and the Scarlets before beginning his coaching career which has seen stints at Scarlets, Rotherham Titans, RGC, Namibia, Crusaders and Worcester Warriors.

In 2013 he supported Rob Howley as interim attack coach during the Championship winning Six Nations campaign and also accompanied Robin McBryde on the 2013 tour of Japan.

“After 18 months in post and in his second time as head coach of the Wales Men’s U20s, Byron Hayward has chosen to step down from this position,” said WRU head of player development, John Alder.

“We would like to extend a sincere thanks to Bryon for all he has brought to the U20s programme, our players, and the management team during his tenure as head coach, leading the U20s out of the covid period and to a second-place finish in the 2022 Six Nations summer series, losing the final to a strong South African side.

“While the past two years have been challenging from an U20 results perspective, we have seen the likes of Mason Grady, Daffyd Jenkins and Christ Tshiunza, as recent U20 graduates, cement themselves as genuine Test players on the world stage with Wales.”

Jones’ immediate focus will be on the World Rugby U20 Championship which kicks off on June 24 where Wales face New Zealand in Paarl, South Africa. Their other Pool A games are against defending world champions France and Japan.

“From my perspective it is a really good opportunity and I’m excited about getting back to coaching after what happened at Worcester,” said Jones.

“It’s a short-term role taking the boys to a World Cup. I’m excited about making a great environment for the boys and hopefully trying to get them to play with a smile on their face out on the field which is the key.”

Wales were unable to win a game in the recently completed U20 Six Nations, but Jones was encouraged by what he saw, despite the lack of positive results.

“The results probably don’t reflect the potential in the group,” he said, “Clearly, they were beaten five times during the tournament but there were moments in the games up until 60 minutes where they were very competitive in all games, probably apart from the France game.

“There are building blocks in place, and I’m just wanting to try and take them to the next level. I think there is opportunity to try and make the boys better. We haven’t got a lot of time with them but the time we have, we have got to make sure we utilise it really effectively.”

Jones is hoping to utilise his own experience from playing in World Cups when he meets up with a preliminary squad for the first time next Thursday.

“It was black and white TV when I was playing but what I took from the World Cups is that it’s all about your preparation before you get there,” he said.

“When you are in the tournament itself – particularly an U20s tournament – you have short turnarounds, you have very little opportunities to get out and enjoy the country because you are so busy and everything is so intense, so making sure we get our work done before we get off the shores is really important to get ourselves in a great place.

“We need to put in some great performances against some tough opposition so we can then enjoy what limited downtime we will have in South Africa. We have got to work hard, and we have got to make it tough for the boys, but they have to enjoy it too and commit to the process.”

WORLD RUGBY U20 CHAMPIONSHIP 2023 
24 June-14 July | Cape Town and Western Cape, South Africa

Schedule

Pool A matches

Match day 1: Saturday 24 June – Wales v New Zealand, Paarl – 3pm
Match day 2: Thursday 29 June – Wales v Japan, Stellenbosch – 1pm
Match day 3: Tuesday 4 July – France v Wales, Wellington – 3.30pm

Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 6:43pm
Assuming my memory hasn’t played tricks, I wonder what Rap Columbo thinks.

Hope there’s a Boycie bounce in results. It looks a very tough pool.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 11 May 2023 at 6:44pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 7:48pm
Putting Jones in charge is like going snorkeling with lead lined fins
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:36pm
The kick the ball away practise sessions are in full swing Wink
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 6:35am
Harsh comments I feel. Dislike it when we turn on one of our own like this.

Not done badly as a coach.

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Has had the nerve to get himself out of the comfort zone thats for sure. Brave & successful stint in New Zealand. Scott Robertson speaks highly - good enough for me. 
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 10:18am
Hope so, he did do well by all accounts in New Zealand would have certainly picked up some god systems and practices, my boy is in the pathway and it doesn't make for good reading nor does the feedback from the camps

Edited by scarletabroad - 12 May 2023 at 10:19am
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

True this. He’s had a lot of success. 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 11:12am
Is a head coach or is he more of a supporting coach 
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2023 at 7:33pm
Congratulations to mark on his new role.  He’s had a successful stint coaching with Canterbury Crusaders a(not a bad team on their dayWink, and was at Worcester until they went bust.
We (as a welsh nation) are very good at knocking down our own and refusing to give our own talent a chance to prove themselves, that needs to change as if we look around Britain we will find a lot of welsh coaches holding down some high profile positions at some high profile clubs.  If they are goood enough for them, they should be good enough for us.
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 12:42pm
Reserve judgement until we see how the U20s go next season (plus be aware of the context in which any coach of Welsh teams has to operate - the dire leadership of the WRU). 

Edited by gaffer - 15 May 2023 at 12:43pm
What's going on?
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:47pm
Ditto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic