Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foxy to lead Scarlets into 2021-22 campaign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Westwalian Westwalian wrote:

Confusing why it's not Ken again

Not sure what’s confusing about it. We have a new coach in place who has made his own decision on who he feels is the best candidate for captaincy 
Sponsored Links

EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

I'd be very surprised if Dinky plays in front of Patchell and Costelow and it would be a bit silly to pick a a third choice as captain,especially as I don't think he's got much previous experience of captaincy.
Patchel is santa claus comes out to play once a year.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 10:06pm
Has to be a player that instantly commands respect, has good chance of being a regular in the first XV when full squad available, is not consistently injured, is not with Wales XV frequently, and a natural leader.

Scarlets before Wales
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 10:10pm
How much of a chance do you think there is that Shingler will be called up to help Wales' lock issue (Hill and Ball gone) and also Rob Evans plus Scott Williams?

Is Scottie not captain material? Is he more or less likely to be called up than Foxy?
Scarlets before Wales
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2021 at 12:54am
Scott plays 12 a lot, with Jonny Williams looking like he might be the starting 12 at international level over the next few years it’d be strange to have someone who’s not nailed on starter as captain. 

Whereas, let’s be honest we do not have a better 13 than Foxy and we won’t unearth one this year. 

Peel may be thinking this the challenge that Foxy needs after what must have been a very disappointing summer with him not making the Lions. Then 2023 might be feel a season too far for JD. So there is the challenge of how to motivate this player. 

Players at that level want to keep testing themselves and growing, but he’s already played at the top top level with Wales and the Lions and maybe this is a different challenge that will get the best out of him. 

I don’t think this point undermines Foxy or any of our players but it really isn’t obvious who our leaders are that aren’t Ken. I think Barclay was probably underrated in this respect 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2021 at 9:34am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Scott plays 12 a lot, with Jonny Williams looking like he might be the starting 12 at international level over the next few years it’d be strange to have someone who’s not nailed on starter as captain. 

Whereas, let’s be honest we do not have a better 13 than Foxy and we won’t unearth one this year. 

Peel may be thinking this the challenge that Foxy needs after what must have been a very disappointing summer with him not making the Lions. Then 2023 might be feel a season too far for JD. So there is the challenge of how to motivate this player. 

Players at that level want to keep testing themselves and growing, but he’s already played at the top top level with Wales and the Lions and maybe this is a different challenge that will get the best out of him. 

I don’t think this point undermines Foxy or any of our players but it really isn’t obvious who our leaders are that aren’t Ken. I think Barclay was probably underrated in this respect 

His leadership on the pitch was exceptional and very apparent. He always raised the games of players around him and got the team over the winning line when things got really tough and we had a wobble. Maybe the void created when he left was the underrated aspect. 

I think if it motivates him that can only be a good thing but unsure how many games Foxy will feature in. If he gets fit again then he'll be in the Welsh squad. It's tricky as Dwayne must have two or even three strong backup captains in mind for game to game, making the official squad captain in someways more symbolic or for dressing room balance these days. I'd have considered Blade as captain personally but there's a bit of a lack of natural leaders around for sure.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2021 at 10:39am
With Wales players missing only one or two games I'd assume its seen that foxy will be around a fair bit. Ken is going to be managed. Plus I'd say the push is now on Elias to start more games. Plus Ken will be available for one game before Christmas it's been said by WRU regarding the Lions. 
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2021 at 8:40pm
Perhaps Foxy has decided to step down from international rugby, meaning that he will be available throughout the season (injury permitting).
He does appear to be a little more quieter than Ken when it comes to talking to referees, but with more experience he more grow more into the role.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic