Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gallagher Final : Welsh connection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gallagher Final : Welsh connection
    Posted: 12 June 2022 at 11:01am
Consider this - the four players below could be playing next Saturday in the Saracens v Leicester final. All four are eligible for Wales, indeed three of them have been named in the Welsh squad to tour South Africa.

Aled Davies - Welsh pro club games - 84 ( plus 49 for Llanelli RFC)
                    Welsh International games - 20

Nick Tompkins - Welsh pro club games - 15

Tommy Reffell - Welsh pro games - zero
                       Welsh International games - zero

Sam Wainwright - Welsh pro games - zero ( approx 40 for RGC)
                           Welsh International games - zero.

One of the stated aims of our current 60 cap rule is to reward loyalty to the game in Wales - strange therefore that the one to miss out is Aled who has shown vastly more loyalty to Welsh rugby than all three touring combined - funny old World!!!!!

I would wager that even in 10 years time Aled will still have the best record of all four & I would have an each way bet that he would have the best record of the other three combined - an even funnier old World!!!!

Welsh rugby has become something of a laughing stock in the wider rugby community - when you read the above is it any wonder why????
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2022 at 12:37pm
Great ppst. Tomkins contract a source of mystery 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2022 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Consider this - the four players below could be playing next Saturday in the Saracens v Leicester final. All four are eligible for Wales, indeed three of them have been named in the Welsh squad to tour South Africa.

One of the stated aims of our current 60 cap rule is to reward loyalty to the game in Wales - strange therefore that the one to miss out is Aled who has shown vastly more loyalty to Welsh rugby than all three touring combined - funny old World!!!!!

I would wager that even in 10 years time Aled will still have the best record of all four & I would have an each way bet that he would have the best record of the other three combined - an even funnier old World!!!!

Welsh rugby has become something of a laughing stock in the wider rugby community - when you read the above is it any wonder why????
The only aim of the 60 cap law is to provide the national coach access to the majority of this players. As for Aled he’s doing well at Saracens and fits into their pattern but I wouldn’t select him ahead of the three currently in the squad who are better rugby players than him. 

Edited by scarletnut - 12 June 2022 at 2:53pm
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2022 at 3:20pm
Not sure their better players on current form tbh lads
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2022 at 4:18pm
aled played well, good to see him looking sharp
sir duckling tuft
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2022 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

The only aim of the 60 cap law is to provide the national coach access to the majority of this players. As for Aled he’s doing well at Saracens and fits into their pattern but I wouldn’t select him ahead of the three currently in the squad who are better rugby players than him. 
Absolutely. He also had enough time at the Scarlets to succeed and it was right time for him to move on as it was for the Scarlets. 

Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2022 at 4:29pm
just because someone is competing on a bigger stage doesn't make them a better player. Wales have an abundance of 9's and someone has to miss out. If it was Gareth Davies, Hardy, Webb, Williams playing for Saracens it'd be the same narrative. 

The real issue is Wales only has 4 Pro teams so there can only be so many spots for players. Hence you see so many Welsh players playing for good teams abroad. That is a good thing that they are taking the spot of an English player. If all our players stayed in wales it would limit growth as again, there are only 4 clubs, so a limited amount of game time. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

just because someone is competing on a bigger stage doesn't make them a better player. Wales have an abundance of 9's and someone has to miss out. If it was Gareth Davies, Hardy, Webb, Williams playing for Saracens it'd be the same narrative. 

The real issue is Wales only has 4 Pro teams so there can only be so many spots for players. Hence you see so many Welsh players playing for good teams abroad. That is a good thing that they are taking the spot of an English player. If all our players stayed in wales it would limit growth as again, there are only 4 clubs, so a limited amount of game time. 

Think you are slightly missing the main point - Aled is being coached by quality and his game has improved since his move - his strengths have been strengthened by having quality around him. Just dropping Tomos Williams into the Sarries system would be no guarantee of improvement if his core skills could not take improvement such as his box kicking & defending - one of which is pretty average the other is non existent. 

Good coaching improves players if their potential skills allow for that improvement. The point you make about only having a limited number of places available is very valid and is a totally good reason to ditch the stupid 60 cap rule. Let our coaches be able to select the best available talent wherever they play & lets stop muddying the waters with this nonsensical drivel about how the coach only has access to his players for 25% of the time. 
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 9:28am
At this point in time Pivac and the WRU dont deserve Tommy Reffell for me he's better than the 7 options we have fek em 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

At this point in time Pivac and the WRU dont deserve Tommy Reffell for me he's better than the 7 options we have fek em 

If Pivac runs true to form he will not pick Reffell in the Autumn as he will only get access to him for 25% of the time that he will get with Jac Morgan who incidentally he dropped from the squad because being the best at the breakdown in the URC was not good enough. To add to the coaching confusion Pivac is on record as saying he is going to pick his best 23 for every game now until the World cup. You couldn't make it up so I tend to agree with your comments about Pivac & WRU not deserving Reffell. 
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2022 at 12:11pm
I think in general Wales management, whether it is Pivac or Gatland have been incredibly slow to pick form players. You look at Eddie Jones and he's giving debut caps every single game almost, because he sees someone playing well in the Premiership and wants to see them at international level. 

For Wales, we seem incredibly cautious about bringing in anyone. Cubby was by far the best 7 in the league for a couple of years straight, and it took an absolute age for him to get called up. Same with others.

Edited by Sosban89 - 13 June 2022 at 12:18pm
tigerburnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2022 at 6:17pm
I bet everyone wants Tommy Reffell now, just glad Tigers have him on a long contract.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2022 at 7:08am
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

I bet everyone wants Tommy Reffell now, just glad Tigers have him on a long contract.

I don't think it took Saturday's game for most of us here in Scarletville to rate young Tommy. As a matter of interest how long is his contract. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2022 at 7:17am

Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

I don't think it took Saturday's game for most of us here in Scarletville to rate young Tommy. As a matter of interest how long is his contract. 
Cameron Woki’s contract was longer than his stay at UBB, following his recent move to Racing.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2022 at 7:20am
He is at a big club big gates good coaching good league and now in a winning side not in a rush to move i guess? Shame he’d be ideal for us
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2022 at 7:37am
Hé still might want to come « home ».
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic