Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gardening & Growing thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gardening & Growing thread
    Posted: 04 March 2023 at 8:48am
Judging by the popularity of the wine & beer & food & cooking threads how about this one??? Any thoughts? My wife & I are very keen amateur growers with 16 raised beds, a large polytunnel & two greenhouses which keep us pretty busy basically from now until October/Nov.

We would love to share stories with anyone who is interested. If we can encourage one family to think about growing their own it would be great. 
Sponsored Links

lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 9:15am
Good stuff ...love gardening...quick question I want to plant conifer from pit to ground...Best time please 

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 9:27am
I took on an allotment last year something of a jungle at the time hadn’t been touched in years After the clearance and the weather in the southeast I should probably have let it out for camel grazing as very dry soil and anything planted struggled to grow . However high hopes for this year!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 9:49am
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Good stuff ...love gardening...quick question I want to plant conifer from pit to ground...Best time please 

Lofty I assume you mean pot to ground. If it was a bare root tree it should be now i.e. in the dormant season but container/pot grown trees can be transplanted any time. I would suggest now is good as you are probably not going to need to spend too much time watering. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 10:10am
I look on in admiration at the grow your own-ers. Done stuff in the past but available time and competition from wildlife means anything grown in our garden is eaten by birds and/or various 4 pawed wildlife. The dogs get in on the act only if they’re very lucky. Raspberries, gooseberries, fruit trees etc….all recycled into nature without human contact. All flourishing with organic neglect.

A word of warning for pine trees and conifers.

Lofty’s topical conifer question gets first - when your conifer is at the size you want it, trim it then/shortly after it. If you leave it too long, then cut it back to size, you’ve no longer got any green coverage.

Pine trees, plant at your peril. Given long enough to grow and if not reined in, they just kill off the rats below. Near our office, there were some pine cone seeds brought back from WW2 and planted. They’re now over half-way to the nearest building and the lovely green grass beneath has gone. The farm don’t want to trim it for some reason either ☹️😠

Look forward to reading all about everyone’s adventures.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 10:12am
Cheers GPR..

Hasn't rained here in Kenya since early December, not a drop.
Love it- Citrus plants!
Don't love it- anything in the ground!

Fruits I have that are going well...
Loquats ( small yellow and juicy...cumquat family) - fruit end March. Got to be quick to pick as the local birds love 'em.
Lemon and Orange trees- 2 years old but going well.
Banana tree - just yielded a nice crop of 80+ bananas.
Guava apple-due in April-looks a good drop.
Pomegranates- just finished their season...best yet.

Not going well..
Avocado - battling the lack of rain.
Papaya - seems to be something attacking the base of the trees.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Cheers GPR..

Hasn't rained here in Kenya since early December, not a drop.
Love it- Citrus plants!
Don't love it- anything in the ground!

Fruits I have that are going well...
Loquats ( small yellow and juicy...cumquat family) - fruit end March. Got to be quick to pick as the local birds love 'em.
Lemon and Orange trees- 2 years old but going well.
Banana tree - just yielded a nice crop of 80+ bananas.
Guava apple-due in April-looks a good drop.
Pomegranates- just finished their season...best yet.

Not going well..
Avocado - battling the lack of rain.
Papaya - seems to be something attacking the base of the trees.

That sounds great Wil. Can only look on with envy at those exotic fruits. We grew some lovely melons in our polytunnel last year - hoping for a repeat this season. You mention avocado - when I lived in Zambia we had a very large avacado tree in our grounds. It used to have  a fantastic crop every year. Probably helped by copious amounts of water during the rainy season. Getting to the fruit before our Rhodesian ridgeback was another matter. 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Lofty I assume you mean pot to ground. If it was a bare root tree it should be now i.e. in the dormant season but container/pot grown trees can be transplanted any time. I would suggest now is good as you are probably not going to need to spend too much time watering. 

My apologies for spelling smart phone fat fingers don't mix.....yes pot to ground...ive had it 2 years and it's a gem..time for it to go nuts......I once had 2 spiralling confiers bought them and planted them 2 ft tall....20 years later they were 20ft tall the bottom spiralling was 15 ft the next 13 the next 12 etc all the way up the the top....I pruned them, shaped them they were staggeringly beautiful...people used to stop outside the house and knock on the door and ask me if I could do the same for them....and Christmas lights were just stupendous on them....when I moved I wanted to take them with me, called in experts to see what could be done.i was told moving them was a high probability I would kill them.....house gone and new owners just chopped them down.....20 years down the pan....of love and care, I just adore trees

thanks for the advice 

will plant my next four days off ...but the weather is changing for snow next week...so should I delay ?

Edited by lofty evans - 04 March 2023 at 12:38pm

Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

I look on in admiration at the grow your own-ers. Done stuff in the past but available time and competition from wildlife means anything grown in our garden is eaten by birds and/or various 4 pawed wildlife. The dogs get in on the act only if they’re very lucky. Raspberries, gooseberries, fruit trees etc….all recycled into nature without human contact. All flourishing with organic neglect.

A word of warning for pine trees and conifers.

Lofty’s topical conifer question gets first - when your conifer is at the size you want it, trim it then/shortly after it. If you leave it too long, then cut it back to size, you’ve no longer got any green coverage.

Pine trees, plant at your peril. Given long enough to grow and if not reined in, they just kill off the rats below. Near our office, there were some pine cone seeds brought back from WW2 and planted. They’re now over half-way to the nearest building and the lovely green grass beneath has gone. The farm don’t want to trim it for some reason either ☹️😠

Look forward to reading all about everyone’s adventures.

I'm a tree nut, the inverted branches of a tree is a replica of our lungs... we are cousins. 

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 12:42pm

My apologies for spelling smart phone fat fingers don't mix.....yes pot to ground...ive had it 2 years and it's a gem..time for it to go nuts......I once had 2 spiralling confiers bought them and planted them 2 ft tall....20 years later they were 20ft tall the bottom spiralling was 15 ft the next 13 the next 12 etc all the way up the the top....I pruned them, shaped them they were staggeringly beautiful...people used to stop outside the house and knock on the door and ask me if I could do the same for them....and Christmas lights were just stupendous on them....when I moved I wanted to take them with me, called in experts to see what could be done.i was told moving them was a high probability I would kill them.....house gone and new owners just chopped them down.....20 years down the pan....of love and care, I just adore trees

thanks for the advice 

will plant my next four days off ...but the weather is changing for snow next week...so should I delay ?

I would wait for the weather to warm a little after next Thursday I think its forecast. In the right place conifers can be stunning. When we arrived at this house in 2017 we planted two oaks in a small woodland at the bottom of our plot. They are 12-15 foot tall at the moment & are going to be really beautiful.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 12:45pm

thanks for the advice 

I would wait for the weather to warm a little after next Thursday I think its forecast. In the right place conifers can be stunning. When we arrived at this house in 2017 we planted two oaks in a small woodland at the bottom of our plot. They are 12-15 foot tall at the moment & are going to be really beautiful.

It's a great buzz seeing your handiwork.....

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 1:21pm

thanks for the advice 

Yes Lofty - growing something & seeing it thrive is one of life's great pleasures. 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2023 at 7:40pm

thanks for the advice 

Yes Lofty - growing something & seeing it thrive is one of life's great pleasures. 

Thanks for the advice appreciated. 

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 8:27am
One of the great benefits of a polytunnel is the ability to plant/crop certain veg early. We live at 700 feet above sea level which has a surprising effect on growing season. We very often have frosts in April/May so for instance we do not sow first early potatoes outside until late April early May to crop late July.

We are currently chitting some first earlies for planting in the polytunnel mid March, crop early June. Any danger of frosts of course is reduced with the polytunnel and we can save the small plants by using a straw cover if needed. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 8:47am
Never thought through the value of a poly tunnel tbh. Good call.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 10:14am
How do you minimise wind resistance and still keep them reasonably insulated from frost etc?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic