Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gareth Bale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gareth Bale
    Posted: 09 January 2023 at 4:07pm
So Gareth has called a day on his football career.
Gareth has brought so many moments of pleasure to Welsh football fans over a 15 year international career in which he’s broken every welsh record going.  He’s shown an amazing commitment to team Wales- turning up for friendlies when players of old hardly ever turned out for wales in qualifying matches.
He performed for wales when he wasn’t even playing week in week out at Real Madrid.
As a lifelong spurs fan (yes I know, watching spurs and the scarlets can be very painful at times) his first spell at the club was just incredible, his hat Rick at the san Siro in the champions league was a special moment.  It’s just a shame that he had to move to Madrid in order to win silverware- and there can’t be many British players with such a collection of winning medals.
Thank you very much Gareth for the memories and good luck with whatever you do in the future.
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2023 at 4:21pm
Just seen the story on BBC - a great player for Wales, and always showed total commitment for his country.

A talisman and leader, he will be missed... shame he was a bit diminished by injuries in the latter part of his career. Incredible player at his best.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2023 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

So Gareth has called a day on his football career.
Gareth has brought so many moments of pleasure to Welsh football fans over a 15 year international career in which he’s broken every welsh record going.  He’s shown an amazing commitment to team Wales- turning up for friendlies when players of old hardly ever turned out for wales in qualifying matches.
He performed for wales when he wasn’t even playing week in week out at Real Madrid.
As a lifelong spurs fan (yes I know, watching spurs and the scarlets can be very painful at times) his first spell at the club was just incredible, his hat Rick at the san Siro in the champions league was a special moment.  It’s just a shame that he had to move to Madrid in order to win silverware- and there can’t be many British players with such a collection of winning medals.
Thank you very much Gareth for the memories and good luck with whatever you do in the future.

Thank you  Legend for that...great post indeed !
Gareth has provided so much utter magic during his lengthy  career, do'nt know where to start.
Kept Wales in games, when we really needed him, with moments of class.
His commitment  to Wales, as Legend says is total,and I truly hope Rob Page can use his talents off the field  in any way possible. 
Many thanks Gareth, one of the best Welsh sporting talents I have seen in my lifetime. 

There was one " downer", for me though regarding Gareth Bale.
Back in 2018, my two teams, Scarlets & Liverpool were playing in two finals, same day ..ca n u believe it !
My wife and travelled  to Dublin to see Scarlets lose the (ro14 final to Leinster,  the n straight  afterwards  rushed to a neighbouring  hotel, close to Aviva stadium, only to see Liverpool lose to Madrid.
The sting in the tail was that none other than Welsh idol Bale,scored the clincher for the Spanish .
I remember falling to my knees, in sheer frustration,  at the days events hit home, surrounded  by young jubilant Irish Man U fans delighting in my misfortune Confused
I stood yer on tanner bank
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2023 at 9:26pm
Sensational player at his best, was a driving force with Ramsey ( at his best to ) of helping Wales in the Euros and the last World Cup.
His free kicks and kicking ability was immense and he is one of Wales footballs all time Greats. He was bloody quick to.
I think he has made the right call.

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2023 at 10:10pm
The true Prince of Wales. Da iawn Gareth. 

Gareth Bale
Ei ynni sy`n drydannol, a`i ddoniau
i ddenu sy`n iasol,
mewn gornest mae`n orchestol,
ac aur  gŵr sy`n sgorio gôl.

Dwedwch fawrion o wybodeth
o ba beth y gwnaethpwyd Gareth;
a pha dalent a roed iddo
fel na allo beidio sgorio.

Gareth Bale
His energy is electric, his skills
that draw are sensational,
in competition he is Hercules,
a golden man scoring goals.

Tell us you giants of knowledge,
Of what stuff is Gareth made;
and what talent was given to him,
that he could not but score.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2023 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Gareth Bale
i ddenu sy`n iasol,

a pha dalent a roed iddo

Gareth Bale
His energy is electric, his skills
that draw are sensational,
in competition he is Hercules,
a golden man scoring goals.

Tell us you giants of knowledge,
Of what stuff is Gareth made;
and what talent was given to him,
that he could not but score.

DIOLCH !
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2023 at 7:44am
coincidence that Kit Symons left his post last week
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2023 at 9:56am
His pace over distance & shooting from long range were what set him apart. I remember a story from Sam Warburton who attended the same school as Gareth. He talked about the cross country runs they used to have where it was Gareth winning by huge distances. His pace and stamina were off the scale. A complete natural. Another story from Harry Rednapp who was manager of Spurs at the time talking about Gareth. He said he had never coached a player, let alone a teenage, who could do it all - left, right, head & run like the wind. Pretty much sums up the lad. Fantastic servant to Wales. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2023 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Gareth Bale
i ddenu sy`n iasol,

a pha dalent a roed iddo

Da iawn, wir! Did you write that yourself?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2023 at 1:25pm
Bale could do it all, though of course his ability to sprint over long distances left him as he had to guard against hamstring pulls in later years.

I had to laugh when I read about his change in free-kick technique over the years:

It is striking how similar the three goals are: all measured, meticulously lifted over the wall and curling from left to right.

"Gareth is a special one," says George Burley, Southampton's manager at the time. "He has got attributes that top players haven't, like his quality of free-kicks, which is like David Beckham."

A decade later Bale would spearhead Wales' epic journey to the Euro 2016 semi-finals thanks in part to yet more free-kick goals - but struck with a new style.

Gone was the Beckham-esque curl and control and in its place was the power, dip and vicious swerve that the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Didier Drogba had popularised.

Asked during Euro 2016 why he had abandoned his original approach, Bale simply shrugged and said he found it "boring".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63460120

A real one-off.

Turkpower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2023 at 3:21pm
Had the honour of seeing him in his last game in Doha 

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2023 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Turkpower Turkpower wrote:

Well Turkpower, that must have been amazing.
The fact he and Aaron Ramsey were totally ineffective, has got to looked at in the context of their game time and fitness.
Almost  forgot that now anyway ,such has been both their contributions over the years.
Forget to mention in my original  appraisal,  that I was lucky enough to get a ticket for a Liverpool v Spurs game at Anfield.
Bale scored, in a 2-2 draw, and recieved genuine and warm appreciation  from my fellow Liverpool fans. 

Can I also say " well done "to you Turkpower, for making  the effort to go out and support Wapes at WC.
Diolch
Sir Duckling Tuft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Duckling Tuft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2023 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

The fact he and Aaron Ramsey were totally ineffective, has got to looked at in the context of their game time and fitness.
Almost  forgot that now anyway ,such has been both their contributions over the years.
Forget to mention in my original  appraisal,  that I was lucky enough to get a ticket for a Liverpool v Spurs game at Anfield.
Bale scored, in a 2-2 draw, and recieved genuine and warm appreciation  from my fellow Liverpool fans. 

Can I also say " well done "to you Turkpower, for making  the effort to go out and support Wapes at WC.
Diolch

Anfield is a sacred place and always recognises genius like thisClap
sir duckling tuft
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2023 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Sir Duckling Tuft Sir Duckling Tuft wrote:

Diolch

Yes was quite interesting in the pub after the game talking to scousers.
saying  that he would be the next Rush....(probably the best two welsh players I have seen.)
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2023 at 11:29pm

Diolch

saying  that he would be the next Rush....(probably the best two welsh players I have seen.)
Rush was a goal machine...Bale is probably the best ever....but then I never saw Charles and he was also special 

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2023 at 8:11am
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Diolch

Rush was a goal machine...Bale is probably the best ever....but then I never saw Charles and he was also special 

John Charles could play centre half and centre forward equally effectively at International level. That would take some beating when trying, impossibly I would add, to select the best ever Welsh player. The two boys mentioned of course are right up there. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic