Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION > Llanelli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli Team v Aberavon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 9:56am
Well said! Scarletnut that would be fairer than seeing our young RFC team getting mullered by players who are not on the up in their careers but paid to win. The WRU needs to do more to make it a proper development league. Age quotas? Failing this then the Scarlets need to put hands in pocket to recruit a few big forward lumps who are not upwardly mobile to help the RFC create a fair playing field to compete and win. It’s shocking that we are usually bottom 3 not top 3 each season and it kills paying fan support. Our attendance is pitiful 

Edited by reesytheexile - 21 September 2021 at 9:57am
Sponsored Links

Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 10:15am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

I was at the game Saturday, it was great to see 9 of the matchday squad 20 or under, and another 6, 23 or under. The scrum was demolished, despite Dylan Evans and 33 year old Ryan Thomas  at tight head. The latter was ruined by Llanelli boy, Rowan Jenkins. Our line out was a mess, with far to much ball lost. 

The Scarlets have treated Llanelli RFC as an unwanted child . for many seasons now. The RFC had four players who had started there career as a prop on bench. Jac Price started for the Quins despite them having at least another 4 locks available. It's all good and well sending all the talented Scarlets Academy products to Llanelli, seems like a token gesture. They must either recruit quality tight forwards, we had the two hugely talented 18 year olds, scrum halves  in squad, yet no ball to show there talent.

Special mention though for some of the youngsters Morgan Macrae, Ellis Thomas and his back row colleagues. Archie Hughes oozes class, as so much time on ball. Youngsters Joe Roberts and  other 19 year old back Josh Phillips did well. In fairness the young team, never threw in the towel.
   It's a pity that it is not treated  a development league by  everyone. 
This is the problem. Llanelli treat it as it should be a; a development league. Whereas other clubs like Pontypridd and Merthyr have different views. 

Surely the problem lies with Llanelli?No other club treats the Premiership solely as a development league......and why should they?
Because that's what the league is supposed to be for. If they carry on in this manner the Premiership will likely get demoted down a level and we'll get full time regional A sides. The Premiership clubs wouldn't like it if they stopped getting free players from the pro sides. 

What planet are you living on?When did you buy a house on Gullible Street?All clubs exist to win something,and all leagues are competitive.Do you think Pooler have been busting a gut to get promotion just so they can "develop"some players?Was Bryn Groffiths developing for Llandovery?Do you think they sell beer and tickets in the Talbot Athletic,Eugene Cross Park,or any other ground by telling paying punters that they're not in it to win it????Call it a development league,etc-but don't expect to see many people following Llanelli RFC.....because only a mug will back a horse that isn't trying.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 10:36am
I agree the prem should be a development leauge. But in fairness Cardiff have made it very clear they dont care about anyone but themselves why should the likes of ponty do anything to help them? As for the age thing if a guy is 24 has played for llandovery since a kid gone through all their age groups, do they say sorry your too old off you go to the seconds? That seems a bit harsh. We wont get a regional a league anytime soon  sadly and those players the premiership sides get for free have often been at the club for years they don’t rock up at a regional academy having never played rugby. Plus what good does it do players to train all week then not play weekends? Any game is better than no game

Edited by RR1972 - 21 September 2021 at 10:46am
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 10:51am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I agree the prem should be a development leauge. But in fairness Cardiff have made it very clear they dont care about anyone but themselves why should the likes of ponty do anything to help them? As for the age thing if a guy is 24 has played for llandovery since a kid gone through all their age groups, do they say sorry your too old off you go to the seconds? That seems a bit harsh. We wont get a regional a league anytime soon  sadly and those players the premiership sides get for free have often been at the club for years they don’t rock up at a regional academy having never played rugby. Plus what good does it do players to train all week then not play weekends? Any game is better than no game
This is unfair. Cardiff provide Pontypridd with a number of professional players free of charge every week.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 11:00am

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

I was at the game Saturday, it was great to see 9 of the matchday squad 20 or under, and another 6, 23 or under. The scrum was demolished, despite Dylan Evans and 33 year old Ryan Thomas  at tight head. The latter was ruined by Llanelli boy, Rowan Jenkins. Our line out was a mess, with far to much ball lost. 

The Scarlets have treated Llanelli RFC as an unwanted child . for many seasons now. The RFC had four players who had started there career as a prop on bench. Jac Price started for the Quins despite them having at least another 4 locks available. It's all good and well sending all the talented Scarlets Academy products to Llanelli, seems like a token gesture. They must either recruit quality tight forwards, we had the two hugely talented 18 year olds, scrum halves  in squad, yet no ball to show there talent.

Special mention though for some of the youngsters Morgan Macrae, Ellis Thomas and his back row colleagues. Archie Hughes oozes class, as so much time on ball. Youngsters Joe Roberts and  other 19 year old back Josh Phillips did well. In fairness the young team, never threw in the towel.
   It's a pity that it is not treated  a development league by  everyone. 
This is the problem. Llanelli treat it as it should be a; a development league. Whereas other clubs like Pontypridd and Merthyr have different views. 

Surely the problem lies with Llanelli?No other club treats the Premiership solely as a development league......and why should they?
Because that's what the league is supposed to be for. If they carry on in this manner the Premiership will likely get demoted down a level and we'll get full time regional A sides. The Premiership clubs wouldn't like it if they stopped getting free players from the pro sides. 

What planet are you living on?When did you buy a house on Gullible Street?All clubs exist to win something,and all leagues are competitive.Do you think Pooler have been busting a gut to get promotion just so they can "develop"some players?Was Bryn Groffiths developing for Llandovery?Do you think they sell beer and tickets in the Talbot Athletic,Eugene Cross Park,or any other ground by telling paying punters that they're not in it to win it????Call it a development league,etc-but don't expect to see many people following Llanelli RFC.....because only a mug will back a horse that isn't trying.
I only deal in facts. The Premiership was originally set-up as a development competition, that is a fact. Look it up. Also if the Premiership clubs want what you've just said, which is fair enough and totally understandable, then they need to be removed from the development pathway. Should the Premiership just be the pinnacle of the community game and have no primary role in the development pathway? There's a strong argument for it. What needs to happen is either the formation of full blown regional A/under 23 sides who play either in a Celtic A competition or an Anglo-Welsh A league and they could take control of nurturing the next generation of players. Obviously if this were to happen the likes of Pontypridd wouldn't get anymore free pro players from the pro sides. 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 11:11am
Bottom line is Llanelli need to find a budget of about 100-120k to spend on some stalwarts that are there week in week out to balance the terms of most games. You can build around that. Not easy of course.

I've always admired the sentiment that the Scarlets have for the RFC as a development platform, and the WRU loosely (and unconvincingly) tried to regulate the league to be a development league a few years ago to support that stance, but getting walloped every week isn't really development, so that aspiration seems to have had it's day sadly.

Quins and Drovers have that balance, both have ex pro players or long serving semi pro players...actually guys that cut their teeth at the RFC like Dale Ford, Nick Reynolds, Nick Cudd, Ben Leung, Rhys Lawrence and Torin Myhill.
Ideal to have some of those supplement the RFC.

Edited by Wil Chips - 21 September 2021 at 11:13am
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 11:53am
I think it's asking a bit much that teams with a proud history and enthusiastic and loyal, local support start seeing themselves as just development sides for the 4 regions. I wouldn't try to argue that case with Ponty, Neath or Aberavon supporters for instance. It's much the same as asking the Scarlets to think only of Wales and to forget any ambitions we may have for the "greater good" of the International side.
Also it must be a bit demoralising for our Academy players to suffer too many experiences like Saturday's at the Talbot Athletic ground. Surely there must be a compromise where we include a few players experienced in the hard and not always scrupulously fair ways of the opposition. My biggest disappointment on Saturday was that I expected Dylan Evans, as a former Scarlet and the day's captain to be able to cope himself and even inspire the youngsters, and for some reason fell well short.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 12:06pm

This is unfair. Cardiff provide Pontypridd with a number of professional players free of charge every week.
most of those players have gone to cardiff free of charge via pontys youth set up in the first place, i dont think ponty have many blues squad players now do they? None of their senior squad played for ponty last week

Edited by RR1972 - 21 September 2021 at 12:11pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 1:39pm

most of those players have gone to cardiff free of charge via pontys youth set up in the first place, i dont think ponty have many blues squad players now do they? None of their senior squad played for ponty last week
That's just not true. Vast majority have come through the Cardiff academy at Vale College etc. Ponty had 6 Cardiff players last weekend.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

I think it's asking a bit much that teams with a proud history and enthusiastic and loyal, local support start seeing themselves as just development sides for the 4 regions. I wouldn't try to argue that case with Ponty, Neath or Aberavon supporters for instance. It's much the same as asking the Scarlets to think only of Wales and to forget any ambitions we may have for the "greater good" of the International side.
Also it must be a bit demoralising for our Academy players to suffer too many experiences like Saturday's at the Talbot Athletic ground. Surely there must be a compromise where we include a few players experienced in the hard and not always scrupulously fair ways of the opposition. My biggest disappointment on Saturday was that I expected Dylan Evans, as a former Scarlet and the day's captain to be able to cope himself and even inspire the youngsters, and for some reason fell well short.
But the Scarlets are professional and the Premiership clubs aren't. The Wales players are our employees 
Dai Guevara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 3:35pm

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

But the Scarlets are professional and the Premiership clubs aren't. The Wales players are our employees 

With Wales taking the stance that paying 80% of those Internationals' wages means they can do as they like with them, regardless of how it affects the Scarlets overall team performance and the wishes of the supporters, (without whose gate money there would be no Scarlets). Not a 100% parallel,I concede, but it's similar to how I would feel as a Ponty supporter if I was told that their sole purpose was to act as a development side for Cardiff or the Scarlets in that we have no other reason to exist other than to produce players for Wales.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2021 at 3:39pm

That's just not true. Vast majority have come through the Cardiff academy at Vale College etc. Ponty had 6 Cardiff players last weekend.
sorry but it is true  do you think people start playing rugby at college or academy level? Try 5 6 or 7 years earlier from minis upwards.  Granted there is further development at academy level Ponty  didn’t  have a single player listed in the cardiff blues senior squad in their starting team last  weekend according to this https://www.cardiffrugby.wales/senior-squad

Edited by RR1972 - 21 September 2021 at 3:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic