Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lions Selection today.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 12:02am
howler lost 8 in a row, Im not going to say he made a fortune backing the opposition that would be a cheap laugh
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 2:06am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Yeah I did notice that today, but I think he’s a player that’ll learn and adapt.

For me, he’s improved in the space of 2 years from “oh god were 1 injury away from Adam Beard starting” to “oh god I hope he doesn’t get injured”

But is that because he's any good, or because AWJ is on the way out and Ball has left? They were a partnership for a decent amount of time.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 7:17am
Yes hed did. Gatland won th GS in his 1st season, consistently beat SA, argentina. Had a game plan, grsnted not an expansive one but a clear one. Pivac has done nothing. If it wasnt for the poorest 6n in history he would have been sacked.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 8:34am
It is surprising to me how poor some of our players were. Kieran Hardy is a shadow of the player he was last season - why someone doesn't tell him to concentrate on the ball & not turn his back to remonstrate with officials is beyond me. He cost us the game against Edinburgh & was at it again yesterday!!!!

My aim in starting this post was to try to highlight the dire situation of our International team at the moment - players deemed not fit enough for selection, obvious experiments being continued - Carre at LH being the obvious but not only one - Tompkins defensively is a total liability, Biggar's distribution is awful, basic things like alignment and giving and taking a pass appear beyond most of our players. Contrast that with an Irish front five who are averaging 20 completed passes per game. Now we blamed the weather for trying to out bok the Boks last time out what is our reason for yesterday's appalling performance. It was a glorious day for rugby & we were made to look very average. 

What has Pivac learned this Autumn to date - LRZ is quick surprise, surprise; we do not have an International standard 9 or 13; Liam when fit is a top quality 15; our front 5 even with AWJ & Ken available are not a match for most tier 1 teams. The only light I can see is the performance of Ryan Elias who has knuckled down and improved each game. A lot has been said of Basham & the breakdown potential of our back row yesterday but they were beaten out of sight by a Fijian back row missing its best player - Yato & featuring 3 no 8's. 

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 9:13am
Can't help but agree there GPR, I think the funniest thing was their best player over the ball was their hooker!! 

We are missing a lot of quality players, in terms of LH I would be amazed if Rob Evans isn't back in a Welsh shirt come the 6 nations.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Can't help but agree there GPR, I think the funniest thing was their best player over the ball was their hooker!! 

We are missing a lot of quality players, in terms of LH I would be amazed if Rob Evans isn't back in a Welsh shirt come the 6 nations.

I take your point which was also made by Why earlier - we are missing a lot of top players but if I look at our best possible front 5 - Wyn is available not deemed fit enough & was given a torrid time against South Africa, Ryan is as good if not better now than Ken, Francis was also taken to the cleaners against South Africa, AWJ & Beard - who is playing so I really do not see where our improvement is going to come from & if we are bettered in the front 5 you usually lose. When I see Porter & Furlong carrying like demons, flicking passes off either hand I can't help feel that Pivac & his fellow coaches are talking a different game whereas Farrell & his team are actually playing a different game. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 9:36am
Wyn needs game time & he will be ok, he has hardly played since coming back from the Lions tour. I'm going to reserve judgment on the scrum until I see how England get on against South Africa on the weekend. TBF when Pivac was our coach, our props did have good ball handling skills so I am not sure why this hasn't come into the national set up. 

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Yes hed did. Gatland won th GS in his 1st season, consistently beat SA, argentina. Had a game plan, grsnted not an expansive one but a clear one. Pivac has done nothing. If it wasnt for the poorest 6n in history he would have been sacked.
Gatland's Wales lost to SA on his first 9 attempts, and were 0 from 3 in RWC games.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 9:45am
The athleticism of the fijian who caught biggars penalty to the corner also showed greater awareness of the rules as he knew he had to land back inside the pitch , welsh players need to be alert to such rules and opportunities
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 10:04am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

The athleticism of the fijian who caught biggars penalty to the corner also showed greater awareness of the rules as he knew he had to land back inside the pitch , welsh players need to be alert to such rules and opportunities

To be fair, Rees-Zammit did try something similar.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 11:22am
Beard is a strange one, i thought he was v lucky to make the lions tour but he did excell there. This year he has looked average for wales however with awj injured and ball and hill no longer in the frame he really is an automatic choice. He needs a big game sat
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 12:46pm
For form, fitness and depth it's only really the back 3 that looks strong at the moment and with a poorly functioning 9/10/12/13 they aren't getting as many opportunities as they should.

All sorts of problems in the pack, the work rate both sides of the ball in the front 5 is very inconsistent, it's only really Elias and Rowlands who seem to be able to get through a lot of work week in week out and we are struggling to get out a good blend in the back row, albeit injuries have had a big bearing on that.

I'd take any of the other home nations 9 & 10's over Wales', possibly even their second choices in a lot of cases.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

For form, fitness and depth it's only really the back 3 that looks strong at the moment and with a poorly functioning 9/10/12/13 they aren't getting as many opportunities as they should.

All sorts of problems in the pack, the work rate both sides of the ball in the front 5 is very inconsistent, it's only really Elias and Rowlands who seem to be able to get through a lot of work week in week out and we are struggling to get out a good blend in the back row, albeit injuries have had a big bearing on that.

I'd take any of the other home nations 9 & 10's over Wales', possibly even their second choices in a lot of cases.

You really have summed it up very concisely Gate12. One of the fundamentals of playing a fast wide game is having the ability once you manage to obtain quick clean ball to do the basics of alignment & handling well. Judging from what I have seen so far this Autumn our midfield combinations seem pretty clueless. Halaholo will surely start next weekend & I guess Foxy is the only option at 13. For my money I would be playing Priestland at 10 ( for distribution if nothing else) with Scott at 12 & Halaholo at 13 but what do I know. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Beard is a strange one, i thought he was v lucky to make the lions tour but he did excell there. This year he has looked average for wales however with awj injured and ball and hill no longer in the frame he really is an automatic choice. He needs a big game sat
He was embarrassing yesterday looked like a lost giraffe. He offers very little apart from maul defence and the odd line out.
Rowlands looked much better in my view.
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

He was embarrassing yesterday looked like a lost giraffe. He offers very little apart from maul defence and the odd line out.
Rowlands looked much better in my view.

That's harsh, he has improved different aspects of his game.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic