Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Formula 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula 1
    Posted: 12 December 2021 at 9:44pm
Congratulations to Max Verstappen on breaking the Lewis Hamilton/ Mercedes dominance of the sport for the past 7 years.  It’s been one of the most exciting and controversial formula one season I’ve ever watched (I’ve been a formula one fan since the early 1980s and used to do a bit of carting).
Verstappen has managed something that nobody’s managed to do since 2014 and give Hamilton and Mercedes a hard time of it in a team that doesn’t have half the funds of Mercedes.  If Max had been in the dominant Mercedes (as Hamilton’s teammate) in the past 2 or 3 seasons, he’d have been a world champion before today.
I just hope that Mercedes take the same approach as Lewis and just congratulate Max and move onto next season, but I fear that they will continue to argue against the result through the courts etc - using their financial clout to do so.

Sponsored Links

Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2021 at 11:07pm
The farce at the end by the race director made the URC refs look impeccable in comparison! However that, as you point out, shouldn’t take anything away from how brilliant Verstappen has been. I struggle to think of a single race where he’s been poor and he’s arguably throughout the season outdrove the best ever F1 driver at the young age of 24. I doubt it will be his last world championship. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2021 at 7:06pm
Verstappen has stretched his Red Bull further than it might be designed for.

Cornering not a strong point as he drove Hamilton off the road a few times and wasn’t sanctioned for it.

He played the stewards and they kept giving way.

Do we really want a return to the days when Schumacher won the world championship by driving into Damon Hill and similar examples? I don’t.

I would like to see Verstappen in a Mercedes, however, I’m really looking forward to seeing Russell in there next couple of seasons.

How much I’ll actually watch is another matter though after the stewards…….
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2021 at 11:02pm
Max max super max 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2021 at 11:34pm
Some finish that!
y ddraig bwyd View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote y ddraig bwyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2021 at 7:20pm
While the finish of the Grand Prix was controversial we must remember that the championship was decided over 22 races and both Hamilton and Verstappen were at the end of good and bad decisions. I strongly believe that if Verstappen had been in a Mercedes he would have been the champion long before the last race. With drivers such as Sainz,Norris,Perez,Leclerc, Ocon,and Ricciardo next year looks like another classic season. Come on Toto accept defeat in the manner Hamilton did and stop chucking the toys out of the pram. Roll on 2022 !!
y ddraig bwyd
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2021 at 1:44pm
Mercedes have finally accepted the decision and finally we can draw a line under what has been a superb season and look forward to another fantastic season in 2022.
It’s just a shame that Mercedes didn’t take a leaf out of Lewis’ book and graciously accept the stewards decisions on Sunday.  Lewis deserves great praise for his behaviour since Sunday’s race.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2022 at 10:06am
Hamilton won the final race fair and square & Verstappen relied on a pretty stupid F1 rule to win. How can it possibly be fair for a driver to be able to build up a 10/12 second lead over 50 laps by comfortable being the better package for it all to be taken away by the stupid rule which allows cars to make up the gap because of an actual safety car????
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic