Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for Cardiff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 1:48pm
As per the Scarlets web site, Rhys Patchell is not injured, so therefore he is just not selected. I do feel at times we tend to over play some players, and management of players is key at the moment.

I may get criticised but a little bit of me thinks that Scott is currently overplayed, he is our form centre, but he has had an horrendous few years, and also he is very much a team player and therefore a willing horse. I just hope he is not over doing it, as he is key to us now and in the coming few seasons.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links

157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 2:12pm

He his injured, strange why not listed. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Cardiff favs for me based on this season.Ben Thomas picked in the centre could spare us a few blushes behind,I think-he lacks the quick feet/speed of other selections.Evans took more than a few wrong options last w/end,too.All said,not confident and not looking fwd to being taken for granted again with a crap k.o. time.

I would agree about Cardiff being favourites Dic but, for me, the result is of secondary importance. This season is over from a competition point of view I am more interested in the preparation for next season's challenge. I think the pace, energy & enthusiasm that players like Tom, Ryan, Joe & Corey can bring outside an experienced trio of Cawdor, Rhys & Scott is a very potent mix both now and increasingly so as they gain experience. I would hate to see that stalled by short sighted selection. 

Why restrict pace,energy and enthusiasm to the outside centre and back 3?Why  not give Costelow and Jonny Williams a crack?Patchell's hardly setting the world on fire and Jonny Williams deserves a start at 12,where he's shown up well before.

Sorry Dic I do not agree with you about Patchell or Scott. Scott has been our best backline player of the season & has that ability to marshall the young guys around him which is priceless with so much inexperience forcing its way through. Rhys is getting back to his best & for me he is our starter with Sam a very capable deputy. 

Rhys is getting back to his best? Are you sure you are watching the correct Rhys because he’s nowhere near getting back to his best. He’s not had the best games when he’s played this season. I still can’t get over giving him a new contract. Too injury prone for me same as Cubby and Shingler. Cubby hasn’t played for over 500 days and should be released at the end of the season and Shingler is injured again. Other than his lineout presence he brings very little else to the team.

We are all entitled to our opinion of course but I could not disagree with you more strongly on your above comments. Loyalty & commitment is a two way street so with regards to both Cubby & Aaron they have suffered very difficult injuries recently - Cubby with concussion issues and Aaron didn't even know if he was going to walk again. They are both one club men who have served our club with professionalism and no little skill for many years. It may well be that Cubby may have call it time on his career & that will be a decision taken by all parties involved. For you, a supposed supporter, to call for them to be discarded is frankly nonsensical & for me distasteful.

As for Rhys he is another who has had a difficult time with injury. He is very much a confidence player and he is going to need a good run of games for that to return. My reading is that he is making big inmprovements every time he plays and long may that continue. 

I stand by everything I said regarding the injury records when it comes to being a professional athlete. As a human being then he’s they should get all the support necessary as they recover from injury. I’m not a so called Scarlets fan I am a Scarlets fan and have been a season ticket holder for over a decade and I stick by my post that we have three players who have been injured constantly for the last 2-3 years and they should not be retained. This is supposed to be professional sport and There should be no sentiment just because they are one club men. Maybe I see things differently and don’t want us to be a job for the boys club which we currently are. They can still be supported by the club whether they are under contract or not. There are two squad positions there that could be taken by someone else either a youngster from within or new players.

Clearly you must be a Scarlet fan as you have been a season ticket holder for x years - of course more fool me!!!! I will take caring for athletes who have given their all for the club above and beyond the norm as something which I will proudly support. 

I am quite prepared to be hard nosed when the situation dictates but not in the 3 circumstances which you refer to. We clearly have differing views which we are both comfortable with - good luck lets move on. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 5:34pm

Cardiff favs for me based on this season.Ben Thomas picked in the centre could spare us a few blushes behind,I think-he lacks the quick feet/speed of other selections.Evans took more than a few wrong options last w/end,too.All said,not confident and not looking fwd to being taken for granted again with a crap k.o. time.

I would agree about Cardiff being favourites Dic but, for me, the result is of secondary importance. This season is over from a competition point of view I am more interested in the preparation for next season's challenge. I think the pace, energy & enthusiasm that players like Tom, Ryan, Joe & Corey can bring outside an experienced trio of Cawdor, Rhys & Scott is a very potent mix both now and increasingly so as they gain experience. I would hate to see that stalled by short sighted selection. 

Why restrict pace,energy and enthusiasm to the outside centre and back 3?Why  not give Costelow and Jonny Williams a crack?Patchell's hardly setting the world on fire and Jonny Williams deserves a start at 12,where he's shown up well before.

Sorry Dic I do not agree with you about Patchell or Scott. Scott has been our best backline player of the season & has that ability to marshall the young guys around him which is priceless with so much inexperience forcing its way through. Rhys is getting back to his best & for me he is our starter with Sam a very capable deputy. 

Rhys is getting back to his best? Are you sure you are watching the correct Rhys because he’s nowhere near getting back to his best. He’s not had the best games when he’s played this season. I still can’t get over giving him a new contract. Too injury prone for me same as Cubby and Shingler. Cubby hasn’t played for over 500 days and should be released at the end of the season and Shingler is injured again. Other than his lineout presence he brings very little else to the team.

We are all entitled to our opinion of course but I could not disagree with you more strongly on your above comments. Loyalty & commitment is a two way street so with regards to both Cubby & Aaron they have suffered very difficult injuries recently - Cubby with concussion issues and Aaron didn't even know if he was going to walk again. They are both one club men who have served our club with professionalism and no little skill for many years. It may well be that Cubby may have call it time on his career & that will be a decision taken by all parties involved. For you, a supposed supporter, to call for them to be discarded is frankly nonsensical & for me distasteful.

As for Rhys he is another who has had a difficult time with injury. He is very much a confidence player and he is going to need a good run of games for that to return. My reading is that he is making big inmprovements every time he plays and long may that continue. 

I stand by everything I said regarding the injury records when it comes to being a professional athlete. As a human being then he’s they should get all the support necessary as they recover from injury. I’m not a so called Scarlets fan I am a Scarlets fan and have been a season ticket holder for over a decade and I stick by my post that we have three players who have been injured constantly for the last 2-3 years and they should not be retained. This is supposed to be professional sport and There should be no sentiment just because they are one club men. Maybe I see things differently and don’t want us to be a job for the boys club which we currently are. They can still be supported by the club whether they are under contract or not. There are two squad positions there that could be taken by someone else either a youngster from within or new players.

By your benchmark and guideline we should also be releasing Cory Baldwin, Tomi Lewis and Jonny Williams right?
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

As per the Scarlets web site, Rhys Patchell is not injured, so therefore he is just not selected. I do feel at times we tend to over play some players, and management of players is key at the moment.

I may get criticised but a little bit of me thinks that Scott is currently overplayed, he is our form centre, but he has had an horrendous few years, and also he is very much a team player and therefore a willing horse. I just hope he is not over doing it, as he is key to us now and in the coming few seasons.

It's a fair comment. Good rugby post.
Scott and Sione have started some 14 of the 16 games this season I think. No doubt with a full compliment of centers now back, including Roberts who's had valuable game time, some rotation will come in during this cluster of games.
Having said that Scott loves a derby, and it's his 150th game (JMac's 100th), so I doubt he'd volunteer to step down (!).

His son also runs out with him tomorrow...had him on Facetime every night ' Dacu, hawl da fi rhedeg mas da daddy yn y Scarlets...'...absolutely made up he is.

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 6:05pm
Thanks Will I appreciate your comments.

Great to see Father & son running out tomorrow, shame you can't be there Will.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 6:10pm

Gutted as I'm actually able to get back next week.

We put together a family video for him, which was played in front of the squad today, and would suitably embarrass the hell out of Scott.

I bestowed him the honor of being amongst the Top 5 players ever to be produced by Newcastle Emlyn RFC...and by Top 5, I meant 5th.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 6:19pm

A great occasion! for the Williams family ..A shame you won't be there Wil.

A Scarlets win! Will make it a perfect Day .
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

A great occasion! for the Williams family ..A shame you won't be there Wil.

A Scarlets win! Will make it a perfect Day .

Absolutely Mark, all that matters.

One of those games where if we win we could well be top Welsh team by the end of the weekend, if we lose we will be 3rd best.
pillory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pillory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2022 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

... Scott loves a derby, and it's his 150th game (JMac's 100th), so I doubt he'd volunteer to step down (!).

His son also runs out with him tomorrow...had him on Facetime every night ' Dacu, hawl da fi rhedeg mas da daddy yn y Scarlets...'...absolutely made up he is.

That's lovely ❤️. Enjoy.

Johnny Mac @ 100 already - wow, time flies.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2022 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Gutted as I'm actually able to get back next week.

We put together a family video for him, which was played in front of the squad today, and would suitably embarrass the hell out of Scott.

I bestowed him the honor of being amongst the Top 5 players ever to be produced by Newcastle Emlyn RFC...and by Top 5, I meant 5th.

Thats a lovely story Wil. Your grandson will remember that for ever. Glad to see you are keeping Scott in his place with regards to the role of honour at EmlynLOL
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2022 at 9:59am
Hope the young man has a great day will, lovely day for him and your family hopefully he will follow scott and be a future scarlet
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2022 at 10:19am

Thats what I read, a calf injury as I recall. He was certainly struggling when he was taken off in the last game in South Africa.
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2022 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

Thats what I read, a calf injury as I recall. He was certainly struggling when he was taken off in the last game in South Africa.

I would like to think he has an injury that is playable but we’re looking after him due to his injuries in the last couple of years and match fitness playing a part, also I think it’s an easy decision to make when you’ve got a player of the qualify of Sam Costelow, who’s looking better and better each time he plays. 
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2022 at 3:23pm
Only a good Scarlet running game....running  rings around them and 50 pointer to us will do. Just saying. 
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2022 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Only a good Scarlet running game....running  rings around them and 50 pointer to us will do. Just saying. 
I’d take a 3-0 win with a last minute drop goal just to put one over Cardiff, but a 50-0 display of Scarlet rugby would also be nice Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic