Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

poverty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 11:56am
Care work is mentlally and physically hard and pay is rubbish, a real tough gig tbh, a lot of non uk nationals Are key in this industry a fact the “foreigners out” brigade would do well to rember
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I personally don’t think the cost of living crisis is as big as the media portrays it. 

You must be in jail.

I bet even in the nick the price of Snout and drugs is going up 😬
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Care work is mentlally and physically hard and pay is rubbish, a real tough gig tbh, a lot of non uk nationals Are key in this industry a fact the “foreigners out” brigade would do well to rember

I assume you are referring to the right wing brigade Suella's mob. Lets not mix up the facts here - paying non UK nationals minimum wage or below to do certain jobs is not an answer it is part of the problem. Pay carers a decent wage regardless of what nationality they are.
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Good posts TBS & pimp. The tax issue is fundamental to the future prosperity of the country. Of course selling the idea of tax increases is a tough one with voters but a good serious politician can surely make the case for increases in order to improve the NHS & care for the less well off and those who need help. 

Our next door neighbour, recently widowed, is 85 and suffers with alzheimers. She has no children. She cannot make her own breakfast or indeed remember her daily medication. Social services understand what she needs to carry on living at home but do not have the people to give the care so their only suggestion was to sell her home and move into a nursing home. 

My wife & I were not happy with this solution so my wife now provides her with care morning & evening. It only takes her 1.5 hours a day but it sets our neighbour up for the day, gives her good nutrition and she gets her medication. It is heartbreaking to see someone who once made a real contribution to society - paying her taxes, working for 40+ years being neglected. There are millions of similar stories throughout the country. When are the government going to realise that providing care for elderly, vulnerable people is not a burden which should be done by underpaid carers but a service which we should pride ourselves on giving to those who have contributed throughout their lives. 

That is a remarkable post. A fine example of everything I have tried to explain in setting up this thread.
Community is important, people matter, caring matters.
WELL, DONE GPR & Mrs GPR, you're an example to us all.

With regard to RR. post on care homes, yes correct.
It a very hard life working in a care home.
Both my wife's nieces were carers in a local home.
the care was wonderful, and it is a place where my sister-in-law died, sadly.
these cares could well be in the poverty trap themselves, with the wage they are paid, so GPR Rochester is correct to flag that up.

Finally, and in complete contrast, SA!4, .is in a word of his own!
Did he actually READ what I said in the leader post regarding the lad, Joan who lives near me.
She is not just an isolated case, both here in Llaneli, but up and down the country.
Hasn't there been enough coverage recently about people struggling out there. for u SA!4??

Truss wasn't listening. Tories weren't listening, there needs to be an ELECTION
I stood yer on tanner bank
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 1:08pm

I assume you are referring to the right wing brigade Suella's mob. Lets not mix up the facts here - paying non UK nationals minimum wage or below to do certain jobs is not an answer it is part of the problem. Pay carers a decent wage regardless of what nationality they are.
yes spot on
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 1:10pm

yes spot on

Bloody evil bunch and they are widespread throughout Europe which is even more disturbing. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2022 at 2:26pm

yes spot on

Bloody evil bunch and they are widespread throughout Europe which is even more disturbing. 

Who, carers? LOL
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2022 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I personally don’t think the cost of living crisis is as big as the media portrays it. 

You must be in jail.

I bet even in the nick the price of Snout and drugs is going up 😬
£130 an ounce apparently    but free meals and TV with a gym and on call 24hr door service
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2023 at 6:25am
12 years of the Tories and the situation for anyone not loaded or comfortably well off your [beep]ed. To suggest otherwise is incredible.  The hardships I see on a daily basis, people struggling with mortgages going up over £300 and electricity costs tripling if you think that Joe average who can't afford holidays and lives month to month is not struggling your pissed.
Not everyone has savings and bank accounts that can absorb hikes in petrol, food and everything else. A minimum wage is ridiculous it should be higher, every person in the UK should have a decent standard of living ...why not, if you've been lucky in life to amass something of note, good for you, but don't look down at other people. I work with guys who put in 20 years at Ford's when it closed they had a substantial pay off some £250, 000 pay offs and final salary pension, set up for the rest of their lives, good for them, but they still work as they would be bored stiff retiring, but they can leave their role anytime because they don't need the financial stability just the working environment.  They are the exception not the rule though.
I know of a guy in the armed  services who when on leave works as a dishwasher in a restaurant to earn extra money, the sooner this corrupt vile and just evil bunch of cronies are booted out the better and for me ...No MP should have a second job, expenses or subsidised food etc so they live in the real World.....its not a democracy its a corrupticity and the yanks are even worse. 

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2023 at 9:37am
There are factors in economics and politics that are within a government's contol and others which are not. In any case, what a government can do falls somewhere between making things worse or making it better. We all know what the Tories are, what they stand for and who they represent. They are one of the oldest political parties in the world and have been in and around power for centuries. They are the party of established money and those who want in on that. They represent around 35% of the electorate. Their policies are geared to conserving the interests of established wealth. By means of these they tend to their constituency which for the most part is the largest minority in England. Each election they look to top that up enough to get a majority via the vagaries of the FPTP system that has served them very well for some 170 years now. There is a diversity of thought and groups within the party, but these last fourty five years their hardest right wing came into the ascendency culminating in the Truss government and the utter disaster of the Kwarteng budget ... which reportedly has cost the UK taxpayer £70 Billion. 44 years since Thatcher became PM and the UK has one of the worst GINI ratings in the world (inequality index). Wales is the poorest country in Western Europe and the rate of child poverty here is heartbreaking. 

At this point I'm going to quote Adam Price - "There is nothing inevitable about poverty in Wales." It is plainly a consequence of the way our economy has been managed. But for too long we have sat back and said to ourselves that we're too poor, too small, not good enough to manage our own affairs and we have entrusted these matters to UK governance on our behalf. Unless we set the agenda here in Wales, we leave it to someone else to set it for us ... and that someone is usually the Tories.

The definition of madness is to keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome. We can carry on as we are, vote Labour, get Tory, keep the UK as is. Nothing will change. What do we do? Accept our lot? Or do we say that the UK must reform? Build a new Union which empowers Wales to tackle its own needs? Do we get on with it or leave it to others?

The diagnosis is pretty straightforward on this one. The UK is dysfunctional. FPTP delivers majoritarian governments on the basis of minority shares of the vote. On that basis the Tories can pander to their base and their interests which by and large does the damage. Labour have yet to tackle this system, seduced as they are by winning power on the same terms. Just very recently, they stood by the centralist model of UK governance with Gordon Brown's constitutional report. If you want to fix Britain you need PR and decentralism. On current evidence, neither the Tories nor Labour are going to deliver that. Next time you're at the ballot box, keep that in mind.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2023 at 9:50am
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

There are factors in economics and politics that are within a government's contol and others which are not. In any case, what a government can do falls somewhere between making things worse or making it better. We all know what the Tories are, what they stand for and who they represent. They are one of the oldest political parties in the world and have been in and around power for centuries. They are the party of established money and those who want in on that. They represent around 35% of the electorate. Their policies are geared to conserving the interests of established wealth. By means of these they tend to their constituency which for the most part is the largest minority in England. Each election they look to top that up enough to get a majority via the vagaries of the FPTP system that has served them very well for some 170 years now. There is a diversity of thought and groups within the party, but these last fourty five years their hardest right wing came into the ascendency culminating in the Truss government and the utter disaster of the Kwarteng budget ... which reportedly has cost the UK taxpayer £70 Billion. 44 years since Thatcher became PM and the UK has one of the worst GINI ratings in the world (inequality index). Wales is the poorest country in Western Europe and the rate of child poverty here is heartbreaking. 

At this point I'm going to quote Adam Price - "There is nothing inevitable about poverty in Wales." It is plainly a consequence of the way our economy has been managed. But for too long we have sat back and said to ourselves that we're too poor, too small, not good enough to manage our own affairs and we have entrusted these matters to UK governance on our behalf. Unless we set the agenda here in Wales, we leave it to someone else to set it for us ... and that someone is usually the Tories.

The definition of madness is to keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome. We can carry on as we are, vote Labour, get Tory, keep the UK as is. Nothing will change. What do we do? Accept our lot? Or do we say that the UK must reform? Build a new Union which empowers Wales to tackle its own needs? Do we get on with it or leave it to others?

The diagnosis is pretty straightforward on this one. The UK is dysfunctional. FPTP delivers majoritarian governments on the basis of minority shares of the vote. On that basis the Tories can pander to their base and their interests which by and large does the damage. Labour have yet to tackle this system, seduced as they are by winning power on the same terms. Just very recently, they stood by the centralist model of UK governance with Gordon Brown's constitutional report. If you want to fix Britain you need PR and decentralism. On current evidence, neither the Tories nor Labour are going to deliver that. Next time you're at the ballot box, keep that in mind.

Excellent 

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic