Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Injury & Treatment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Injury & Treatment
    Posted: 11 February 2007 at 8:57pm

Thanks to Quagmire for this question.....

Q....... "I noticed on a few occasions in games recently that play continued when there was a player down injured, sometimes when the physio was on the pitch treating him! Is there a law on this? Surely there could be risk of further injury if a pack of forwards rumpled forward not knowing he was there!"

A........  It is down to the Referee. The aim (beleive it or not), is to keep the game flowing, with minimal stoppages. The general rule being as follows......

If a head injury .... STOP THE GAME IMMEDIATELY !!!

If other injury, assess the situation, & let play continue ONLY IF THERE IS NO COMPROMISE TO PLAYER / OFFICIAL / SUPPORT STAFF HEALTH & SAFETY.

My own breif to physio's pre match, is "if a player is down requiring treatment, then come on & give it"

However if the play has continued, & then looks as if it will progress to the "Injury Area", then the game should be stopped, & re-started with a scrum to the side in posession at the time of the stoppage.

IRB LAW

5.4 TIME LOST

Time lost may be due to the following:

(a) Injury. The referee may stop play for not more than one minute

so that an injured player can be treated, or for any other permitted

delay.

The referee may allow play to continue while a medically trained

person treats an injured player in the playing area or the player

may go to the touchline for treatment.

If a player is seriously injured and needs to be removed from the

field of play, the referee has the discretion to allow the necessary

time to have the injured player removed from the field-of-play.

Edited by scarletman
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
Sponsored Links

westwalesdragon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westwalesdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 10:19am
This happened to me in a game once, I injured my leg (twisted knee or something) and was lying on the ground in some pain, when about 5 seconds later a driving maul aimed for me and around 10 players collapsed all over me! adding quite a bit of discomfort!
WestWalesDragon

scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2007 at 5:15pm

Originally posted by westwalesdragon westwalesdragon wrote:

This happened to me in a game once, I injured my leg (twisted knee or something) and was lying on the ground in some pain, when about 5 seconds later a driving maul aimed for me and around 10 players collapsed all over me! adding quite a bit of discomfort!

Seriously bad game management by the referee!!! It's not as if a rolling maul is a flat out sprint is it, it should be quite easy to risk assess as to weather it will put the injured player & physio at risk and have time to stop it in it's tracks.

Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic