Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lions 2021
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Lions 2021

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Message
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 08 April 2018
Location: Llundain
Status: Offline
Points: 747
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 11:35am
He’s still better than Billy Vunipola in my opinion so should go as a backup to Faletau - theres even an argument to say he’s more effective than Faletau.

Billy V born in Australia, Faletau’s Dad played for Tonga, CJ Stander is a South African; that’s just modern rugby.

I didn’t like the residency rule and am happy it’s now 5 years, but I don’t think any individual who benefitted from it should be held back because that’s the route they took. If they’re good enough they go. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Online
Points: 12175
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Munster back row CJ Stander has announced his retirement from rugby at the end of this season aged 31, although he seems to leave himself available for Lions selection before returning to S Africa with his family.

Personally I would not pick him for the Lions purely because I don't think a South African should be considered Irish. Especially given that he's already confirmed he'll be back to South Africa as soon as he hangs his boots up.

Well you cannot say he isn't eligible which is the only criteria which Gatland will be working to. Your logic lends the question whether Itoje, Faletau, the Vunipola brothers etc qualify for the Lions which is a real hornet's nest. Gatland will choose the best squad available to him and Stander is therefore available. Will he be selected - I think not as he would not be playing 8 for Ireland at the moment if Caelan Doris was fit. He has been  a real credit to Irish rugby & highlights the belief and sacrifices players & lets not forget - their families - have to make to pursue their dream of playing International rugby. 
Back to Top
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group


Joined: 26 January 2015
Status: Online
Points: 5787
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 11:46am
It's the wording of his statement I find interesting, the "However, I came to the realisation that my commitment to rugby has started to take an unfair toll on my family, who both in Limerick and South Africa have made considerable sacrifices for more than 25 years to allow me to live my dream."

I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn out for a SA franchise in a year or so.
Back to Top
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 08 April 2018
Location: Llundain
Status: Offline
Points: 747
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 11:51am
On a side note - Paul O’Connell earned his salt on the weekend as the Irish lineout dismantled the Scottish one.

Does that make him a shoe in for Lions forward/line-out coach?

Who are the lions coaches?

Sean Edwards isn’t available for defence. 

Do we think Stevo might go in attack?

Steve Tandy might have put his hand up for defence?

Gats complained last time that because there were no Scottish coaches in the room (Toonie declined to be attack coach), their players didn’t have any extra supporters.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Back to Top
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group


Joined: 26 January 2015
Status: Online
Points: 5787
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 11:54am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

On a side note - Paul O’Connell earned his salt on the weekend as the Irish lineout dismantled the Scottish one.

Does that make him a shoe in for Lions forward/line-out coach?

Who are the lions coaches?

Sean Edwards isn’t available for defence. 

Do we think Stevo might go in attack?

Steve Tandy might have put his hand up for defence?

Gats complained last time that because there were no Scottish coaches in the room (Toonie declined to be attack coach), their players didn’t have any extra supporters.

He's had one good game, let's see how they go against England.
Back to Top
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 08 April 2018
Location: Llundain
Status: Offline
Points: 747
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 11:57am
The Irish lineout also picked ours apart the first game. But yes, the Eng game is massive for both teams and players.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Back to Top
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 28 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 13042
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

On a side note - Paul O’Connell earned his salt on the weekend as the Irish lineout dismantled the Scottish one.

Does that make him a shoe in for Lions forward/line-out coach?

Who are the lions coaches?

Sean Edwards isn’t available for defence. 

Do we think Stevo might go in attack?

Steve Tandy might have put his hand up for defence?

Gats complained last time that because there were no Scottish coaches in the room (Toonie declined to be attack coach), their players didn’t have any extra supporters.
Townsend will be attack, Mitchell/Farrell defence with Rowntree scrum, Borthwick forwards and Neil Jenkins kicking. That’s what Gatland wants 
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 13573
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 12:42pm
will farell take defence coach? I thought that crusaders guy was in the mix
 
Mcbryde a bit unlucky not to go with how well leinster are doing
 
I'd say simmons is a better 8 than stander at the moment in all honesty
Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Online
Points: 12175
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

will farell take defence coach? I thought that crusaders guy was in the mix
 
Mcbryde a bit unlucky not to go with how well leinster are doing
 
I'd say simmons is a better 8 than stander at the moment in all honesty

As is Doris. 
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 13573
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 1:18pm
I think doris struggling mate he got long term concussion issues?
Back to Top
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 08 April 2018
Location: Llundain
Status: Offline
Points: 747
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Some interesting comments from Gatland on the Lions and the current Welsh coaching team. Interesting to note that he doesn't see the Scotland game as a must win. Wales are going to finish 4th or 5th so what. He thinks the coaching team should concentrate on getting combinations experience ahead of the tournament that matters - the 6 nations 2021. 

As for the Lions he was obviously batting off questions about the captaincy and stated the obvious which is it will depend on form & fitness during the 6 nations. One thing of interest he did say was he was not averse to picking players who did not feature for their National teams in particular English teams with their huge numbers name checking the Simmons brothers of Exeter. The 23 year old outside half Simmons is surely good enough for Eddie's squad & may well be an outside shot for the Lions with not many I would consider a shoe in after Farrell. Russell is not Gatland's type of player, Sexton is increasingly injury prone and both do not have the goalkicking levels required which would probably lead to compromises having to be made in selection i.e. Farrell at 12 or not playing his best full backs - Hogg or Liam. 

Pasting from another thread - but could see Gatland go for Simmons then - if only to ruffle Eddie Jones feathers 😅
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Online
Points: 12175
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I think doris struggling mate he got long term concussion issues?

Yes but I think Farrell said he should be back soon. 
Back to Top
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 11 August 2012
Location: Machynys
Status: Offline
Points: 14517
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

It's the wording of his statement I find interesting, the "However, I came to the realisation that my commitment to rugby has started to take an unfair toll on my family, who both in Limerick and South Africa have made considerable sacrifices for more than 25 years to allow me to live my dream."

I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn out for a SA franchise in a year or so.
And Jake Ball for an Australian franchise 
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Back to Top
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 25 October 2004
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 16630
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2021 at 5:31am
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Mako has always been known as world class around the field but not always world class scrummager...A bit like gethin jenkins who was a decent scrummager but not as specialised as say adam jones

I wouldn't compare the two - Gethin was an absolute machine with a huge engine, and a decent scrummager - I'd say, he always did enough to keep his end up in the scrums, but didn't usually attempt destructive scrummaging, whereas he'd keep going all day around the park - tackling, jackaling and even on one memorable occasion charging down a kick (O'Gara, I think) and scoring a crucial try. Mako is a positive liability at scrum time... he has power as a carrier, but nowhere near Gethin's engine.

As for LH prop for the Lions, if I may return to that - I definitely think that Wyn Jones is way ahead of the other candidates. As for Healy, I put him on the bench because I could not think of any other decent candidates (and don't rate Mako) - but if Sutherland is reckoned to be better, I'm happy to revise that bench slot. Problem is, the Scottish forwards were destroyed by Ireland, so no individual (apart from Watson) got a chance to show much...

In truth, I'd have picked a fit Rob Evans for the bench, but who knows when he'll be back, so... If anyone has a suggested upgrade on Sutherland or Healey, then go with it. It's one of the problem positions ATM.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Online
Points: 12175
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2021 at 7:49am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Mako has always been known as world class around the field but not always world class scrummager...A bit like gethin jenkins who was a decent scrummager but not as specialised as say adam jones

I wouldn't compare the two - Gethin was an absolute machine with a huge engine, and a decent scrummager - I'd say, he always did enough to keep his end up in the scrums, but didn't usually attempt destructive scrummaging, whereas he'd keep going all day around the park - tackling, jackaling and even on one memorable occasion charging down a kick (O'Gara, I think) and scoring a crucial try. Mako is a positive liability at scrum time... he has power as a carrier, but nowhere near Gethin's engine.

As for LH prop for the Lions, if I may return to that - I definitely think that Wyn Jones is way ahead of the other candidates. As for Healy, I put him on the bench because I could not think of any other decent candidates (and don't rate Mako) - but if Sutherland is reckoned to be better, I'm happy to revise that bench slot. Problem is, the Scottish forwards were destroyed by Ireland, so no individual (apart from Watson) got a chance to show much...

In truth, I'd have picked a fit Rob Evans for the bench, but who knows when he'll be back, so... If anyone has a suggested upgrade on Sutherland or Healey, then go with it. It's one of the problem positions ATM.


Firstly Aber I cannot agree with you over Mako. Gatland selected him on the last tour and he has a number of Lions starts under his belt so, for me, he is no liability. I agree with you about Wyn - he has done his job well this tournament & Gatland will not forget how well both Francis & Wyn performed against South Africa in the semi final of the World Cup. He will also remember how England struggled against the same front row in the final once Sinckler went off early. I don't think Healy is the answer but Joe Marler may well be. 
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 13573
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2021 at 10:31am
I like the other irish prop kilcoyne off the bench , good player and good carrier
 
mako is not the best scrimmage but he is a big carrier and gats likes him (picked him for 2 previous tours)
 
Wyn looks the stand out candidate to start with one of these two coming off the bench to add impact , shame rob evans has been injured for nigh on 2 years he really is a talent but I don't know what level he will come back at
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.109 seconds.