Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lions Selection today.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 6:27pm
Lrz and cuthbert took their trys well but need to get into
Game more. Biggar worst game for wales? Going to be  a tough game vs the aussies especially if francis and wgj are out. We really need more go forward and need to find some ball carriers from somewhere

Edited by RR1972 - 14 November 2021 at 6:30pm
Sponsored Links

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Based on what I have seen this season to date I have tried to select a Lions 23. What it shows is how things can change in a few months & may also point to some, lets call them, strange decisions by Gats.

15. Keenan 14. Conway 13. Ringrose 12. Tuilagi 11. Lowe 10. Sexton (C) 9. Gibson-Park
1. Porter 2. Kelleher 3. Furlong 4. Ryan 5. Itoje 6. Doris 7. Curry 8. Conan

16. George 17. Marler 18. Sinckler 19. Beirne 20. Lawes 21. Price 22. Russell 23. Slade

There are some tough calls clearly with players like Freddie Steward, Marcus Smith, Josh van der Flier, DTH van der Merwe unlucky not to make it. I have never been a great fan of James Lowe who has been useful going forward but not so great going backwards but he must be one of the most improved players in the past 12 months. According to his coach he had a reality check last season during the 6 nations & proceeded to take the advice given, got himself a lot fitter & worked on his flaws and has now produced two outstanding displays culminating in a try saving rush tackle late yesterday - sheer class in all fairness. 

Not one Welsh player makes the squad because frankly none of them are good enough based on what I have seen this season.

Finally I have commented a lot about the Welsh Lions not getting back to playing enough before International camps etc etc. Pivac himself complains that fitness levels for some players like Wyn Jones are not good enough for top competition yet you look at the Irish players - most of whom will have played a similar number of games this season to the Welsh boys & they have now put together two fully committed superbly executed games where they blew away Japan with their offloading attacking game & had a similar outcome against the best team in the World - so something doesn't quite stack up. 
the english full back looked the business yesterday too
yeah cant see many welsh challengers for a place atm 
Though that may be a disgusied blessing as we usually have an absolute stinker the season after lions tours due to injured / tired players and not enough depth to cover it ..2006 2010 2014 2018 though 2021... the only time we won the year after lions, since the 1970s
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 6:58pm
I dont thonk Pivac and co are up to the task. Last autumn showed we were poor. The six nations, england game asidee, we were the best of poor teams on show. This autumn shows he hasnt a clue of what he wants to do. His selection policy is baffling. Too poor props preferred to good ones, undecided on his best no9, playing players out of position e.g adams, seb davies, etc. Reluctance to pick form players e.g holmes, scott, etc. Today proved that point. If it wasnt for the red card and 2 yellows we would have lost. Pack was psss poor. Backrow non existent. Props being out scrummaged by a poor scrummaging side, backs looked clueless. Can we start the Pivac out thread again££
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 8:09pm
Red cards (must be 5 against the oppositon ) and a covid cancellTion of a tour to nz have kept pivac in a job tbh

Edited by RR1972 - 14 November 2021 at 8:10pm
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Red cards (must be 5 against the oppositon ) and a covid cancellTion of a tour to nz have kept pivac in a job tbh

Wherever he’s doing that means opposition players want to forearm/shoulder our players to the head it’s working 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

I dont thonk Pivac and co are up to the task. Last autumn showed we were poor. The six nations, england game asidee, we were the best of poor teams on show. This autumn shows he hasnt a clue of what he wants to do. His selection policy is baffling.

People have short memories. That Fiji game was like almost every game Gatland played against tier 2 nations in the Autumn. Awful, dispiriting and way too close for comfort. 

However, what Pivac has done has got more minutes under the belts of more players to build depth. He did that last autumn and Wales then went on to win a 6N.

(Yes we were lucky vs Scotland and Ireland but we were Unlucky against France so rough and the smooth)

Some would say next week is a must win… it’s not really but we should beat them but not by much and if they beat us by 1 score then that seems fair. 

He is building for a World Cup and he has to blood some youngsters. Today was a typically muddled Autumn Tier 2 Game and it will be long forgotten, as we’re the Argentina games in the summer. 
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 9:37pm
These are Wales recent results against Fiji.

2005: Won 11-10 2007: Lost 34-38 2010: Drew 16-16 2011: Won 66-0 2014: Won 17-13 2015: Won 23-13 2019: Won 29-17 2021: Won 38-23

Today was Wales biggest win since the 66-0 win in the World Cup 2011. Funny, I dont recall Gatland out after narrow wins or 16 all draw? Fiji are not a bad side you know?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 9:46pm
They did have 14 men for an hour and 13 for 20 minutes
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 9:50pm
Thank you doing the research I couldn’t be bothered to do 😅

But Gatland had a torture Autumn more often than not?

Losses to Samoa and Argentina in 2012
Beat Tonga by 10 points in 2013
Beat Argentina and Japan by 4 and 3 points respectively in 2016
Beat Georgia by 7 in 2017

Gatland is considered the greatest coach Wales have had since C.James and justifiably so. People shouldn’t write off Pivac because he’s done no worse than Gatland ever did so far
crj89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 9:50pm
I may be in the minority, but I have no clue how Beard got a Lions call up.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Thank you doing the research I couldn’t be bothered to do 😅

But Gatland had a torture Autumn more often than not?

Losses to Samoa and Argentina in 2012
Beat Tonga by 10 points in 2013
Beat Argentina and Japan by 4 and 3 points respectively in 2016
Beat Georgia by 7 in 2017

Gatland is considered the greatest coach Wales have had since C.James and justifiably so. People shouldn’t write off Pivac because he’s done no worse than Gatland ever did so far
gatlands cv is miles ahead of pivac tbh howley was coach in 2012 and 2016 wasn’t he? 

Edited by RR1972 - 14 November 2021 at 9:58pm
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 9:57pm

They did have 14 men for an hour and 13 for 20 minutes

With regards to the Lions the obvious point to make is that few of Wales’ lions are available - Ken, AWJ, Navidi, Tipuric, Faletau… then Adams & Wyn unav today

LRZ and Liam did actually display why they were Lions today then I think you’re right Biggar had his worst game in my memory - but that sort of game is the opposite to what he’s good at, he’s much more suited to tight games like last week where he can keep us IN the game for  60+ mins and then maybe we nick a peno at the end.

I would have picked Priestland because he is a better playmaker, even Anscombe but I think Pivac wanted to use this game to test Biggar to see if he can play in a more expansive way and I think we got the answer. 

I think Sheedy is quite average but when he came on we actually looked like we could pass the ball to backs into space 

I am biased but a fit and on form Patchell imo is probably the most Pivac style 10 wales have got the option of 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

He is one of the best maul defenders around? Best in a wales shirt since Charteris and then Beard has also worked on his handling game since Pivac dropped him last autumn. 

He is one of the bigger hopes for Wales right now and I think going forward we could well end up with a really strong mauling platform
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 10:03pm

gatlands cv is miles ahead of pivac tbh howley was coach in 2012 and 2016 wasn’t he? 

Yeah to be fair everything Gatland achieved with Howler as his 3rd in command only emphasises how good a job he did

But the point I was making wasn’t dimishjng Gatland it was me pointing out its silly to be writing off Pivac when his 2 year record is not dissimilar to Gatland’s average across his time at the helm
crj89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 10:21pm

Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

He is one of the best maul defenders around? Best in a wales shirt since Charteris and then Beard has also worked on his handling game since Pivac dropped him last autumn. 

He is one of the bigger hopes for Wales right now and I think going forward we could well end up with a really strong mauling platform

Granted, but the amount of penalties he gives away around the park from being clumsy far out way the positives of his maul defence in my eyes. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 10:24pm
Yeah I did notice that today, but I think he’s a player that’ll learn and adapt.

For me, he’s improved in the space of 2 years from “oh god were 1 injury away from Adam Beard starting” to “oh god I hope he doesn’t get injured”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic