Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli RFC statement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 12:25am
Llandovery look a very well drilled team this year. Think the academy boys will benefit being in that environment.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 6:49am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

The new elite 8 would have to come under the PRG not the community game and be a form of A league - anything else will be a disaster 

Good point Reesy.Thumbs Up
Tov View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by Tov Tov wrote:

If I can comment, as a Llanelli supporter for the last 60 years but from a few thousand kms away, this looks a very clever move to me. The avowed purpose is to develop young players to play for the Scarlets and, hopefully, eventually, the national side. Having these players playing fairly pointless games in the Premiership is far from ideal. If the management have been clever they can now arrange fixtures against the academy teams from England and, perhaps, even Ireland. Regular games against the Tigers or Leinster academy will do a lot more for development than playing Ebbw or Bridgend. 
the academy players will be playing academy rugby the rfc will be playing who exactly? Where do our fringe players who are not in first team but too old for academy rugby go now?
Which fringe players? With a squad of 38, and undoubted injuries, how many players outside the 23 do you think we will have in need of game time? Surely not more than Carmarthen and Llandovery can use

The way I see this is that the Premiership is not of a high enough standard to develop players for the professional game and the plan is to put together a programme for Llanelli to play development sides (e.g. English academies) of a much higher standard. These players won't go to play for Llandovery or Carmarthen as it would defeat the purpose. In fact I can see the side taking players, that have potential, from those 2 clubs.
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Flaggman Flaggman wrote:

If the Premiership needs to reduce to 8 teams from 12 then shouldn't we just drop Llanelli, Swansea, Cardiff & Newport? These clubs already exist in 'regional' form and don't have the fanbase to support 2 teams each. 

If Welsh Rugby is serious about promoting a regional identity and broader fan base, then I completely agree.

4 regions each with two Premiership feeder clubs, dual contracted players, shared coaching etc., could really transform the long term prospects if regional rugby.
Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 7:31pm
Guys this is seen outside your world as nothing but politics of the worse kind
As the packing of the Scarlet players against Ponty a while back

Llanelli are bottom of a league which they consider lacks a high enough standard 
Carmarthen and Llandovery top the table

If  Llanelli were relegated and no longer a premiership team they are not eligible as a Scarlet choice
Hence the obfuscation 

Not sure what the Dragons or Cardiff do in terms of affiliation with local teams as there is little evidence of previously doing so

However 
As a lifetime supporter of the Whites , now an Osprey supporter my wish would be for Bridgend first then Aberavon or Neath if they get promoted to be chosen

Scarlets should revert to Llanelli and choose their feeder club/s from their Region
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 7:40pm
Carmarthen top of the table?

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

If the Premiership needs to reduce to 8 teams from 12 then shouldn't we just drop Llanelli, Swansea, Cardiff & Newport? These clubs already exist in 'regional' form and don't have the fanbase to support 2 teams each. 

If Welsh Rugby is serious about promoting a regional identity and broader fan base, then I completely agree.

4 regions each with two Premiership feeder clubs, dual contracted players, shared coaching etc., could really transform the long term prospects if regional rugby.
whose going to pay for all that? 2,feeder teams and a full regional  squad. Great in theory in reality
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Willy Willy wrote:

Guys this is seen outside your world as nothing but politics of the worse kind
As the packing of the Scarlet players against Ponty a while back
Have you taken a survey? What does "outside your world" mean? 10 people? 100? How can you possibly know?

Llanelli are bottom of a league which they consider lacks a high enough standard 
Carmarthen and Llandovery top the table
Where have they said this?

If  Llanelli were relegated and no longer a premiership team they are not eligible as a Scarlet choice
Hence the obfuscation 
How do you know what the eligibility is?

Not sure what the Dragons or Cardiff do in terms of affiliation with local teams as there is little evidence of previously doing so

However 
As a lifetime supporter of the Whites , now an Osprey supporter my wish would be for Bridgend first then Aberavon or Neath if they get promoted to be chosen. Is it really promotion? To a league with 7 home games?

Scarlets should revert to Llanelli and choose their feeder club/s from their Region
You're welcome to your opinion, of course, but I don't think there's anything apart from speculation there.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 8:52pm

whose going to pay for all that? 2,feeder teams and a full regional  squad. Great in theory in reality
The Scarlets don't pay for Quins or Llandovery, they are self funded through sponsorship, gate money and WRU grant. They do loan them players for free, which is presumably mutually beneficial.
The Scarlets do/ did pay for Llanelli RFC.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 8:53pm

If I can comment, as a Llanelli supporter for the last 60 years but from a few thousand kms away, this looks a very clever move to me. The avowed purpose is to develop young players to play for the Scarlets and, hopefully, eventually, the national side. Having these players playing fairly pointless games in the Premiership is far from ideal. If the management have been clever they can now arrange fixtures against the academy teams from England and, perhaps, even Ireland. Regular games against the Tigers or Leinster academy will do a lot more for development than playing Ebbw or Bridgend. 
the academy players will be playing academy rugby the rfc will be playing who exactly? Where do our fringe players who are not in first team but too old for academy rugby go now?
Which fringe players? With a squad of 38, and undoubted injuries, how many players outside the 23 do you think we will have in need of game time? Surely not more than Carmarthen and Llandovery can use

The way I see this is that the Premiership is not of a high enough standard to develop players for the professional game and the plan is to put together a programme for Llanelli to play development sides (e.g. English academies) of a much higher standard. These players won't go to play for Llandovery or Carmarthen as it would defeat the purpose. In fact I can see the side taking players, that have potential, from those 2 clubs.
I think it will be a bit of both, if it all comes off
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 9:16pm

The Scarlets don't pay for Quins or Llandovery, they are self funded through sponsorship, gate money and WRU grant. They do loan them players for free, which is presumably mutually beneficial.
 no way some of those rfc players are getting paid by the region surely? The rfc are funded by that wru grant arent they? And by owm sponsors and ticket sales (not that is much in fairness)

Edited by RR1972 - 30 March 2023 at 9:18pm
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 9:29pm

no way some of those rfc players are getting paid by the region surely? The rfc are funded by that wru grant arent they? And by owm sponsors and ticket sales (not that is much in fairness)
£50k from the WRU doesn’t go far. And it was costing £100k a season from  the scarlets, but still wasn’t working
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 9:31pm

I think it will be a bit of both, if it all comes off
llandovery will be pushing for lge and the cup. Are these going to be mid week games? Or played during fallow weeks? Can’t see them releasing their best players for a few friendlies when they have lge matched that weekend tbh
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 9:33pm

£50k from the WRU doesn’t go far. And it was costing £100k a season from  the scarlets, but still wasn’t working
tbh i watched the rfc a  few times seemed mainly kids didm’t many of our fringe players  there helping out there (wgj was the exception) looked like the region washed their hands of them tbh. Maybe we just dont think they worth the £100k

Edited by RR1972 - 30 March 2023 at 9:38pm
2ndtimeround View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimeround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 9:52pm
Just a thought, but if the region is to provide 2 teams for an elite league from this area, then why not the Drovers as Scarlets north, plus the Quinn’s as Scarlets south, with Llanelli RFC becoming purely the Academy developing players up to a set age, for all 3 teams, playing against similar academies from other regions, Ireland and England.
 We need much stronger development pathways and an academy set up properly could even engage with the other community clubs in the region to help developing Junior rugby.
Why do one of the regions Elite clubs need to be based in the same place as the Regional team.
If we are to be viewed as a genuine region then surely the 2 elite feeder teams need to be spread around that region.

Edited by 2ndtimeround - 30 March 2023 at 9:54pm
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 10:33pm
If their is one feeder club chosen for this top 8 place should be Llandovery they have been in the Premiership since it started 

If the RFC  had carried on next season would have cost 250k to run them 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic