Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION > Llanelli
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Llanelli RFC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Llanelli RFC

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Message
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 12 July 2011
Location: Hertfordshire
Status: Offline
Points: 4225
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Llanelli RFC
    Posted: 24 January 2023 at 8:29am
A serious question here from someone who rarely gets to see the semi pro games due to where I live, and the ones I do see are The Drovers.

Why are LLanelli RFC so poor?

I was up at Parc Eirias on Sunday and saw the drubbing they had as the score was still up.

My understanding is we have 3 feeder clubs Quins Drovers and LLanelli and my understanding is that Academy players are fed into these clubs to gain experience (happy to be corrected if this is wrong)

Do the RFC not have an equal share of these assets?

Are they prone to player theft with short notice call ups due to their proximity to Scarlets?
Or
Do they have a good squad but poor coaching?

It just seems mad that they I assume have access to all the facilities of the Scarlets but zero outcome whereas using the Drovers as my example (as I have seen their facilities) have your basic club facilities and I would say punch above their weight

Also do Scarlets fund the 3 clubs in anyway?

Long winded question but I just don't understand how LLanelli RFC are so poor and consistently so

Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 22 November 2015
Location: llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 2473
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2023 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

A serious question here from someone who rarely gets to see the semi pro games due to where I live, and the ones I do see are The Drovers.

Why are LLanelli RFC so poor?

I was up at Parc Eirias on Sunday and saw the drubbing they had as the score was still up.

My understanding is we have 3 feeder clubs Quins Drovers and LLanelli and my understanding is that Academy players are fed into these clubs to gain experience (happy to be corrected if this is wrong)

Do the RFC not have an equal share of these assets?

Are they prone to player theft with short notice call ups due to their proximity to Scarlets?
Or
Do they have a good squad but poor coaching?

It just seems mad that they I assume have access to all the facilities of the Scarlets but zero outcome whereas using the Drovers as my example (as I have seen their facilities) have your basic club facilities and I would say punch above their weight

Also do Scarlets fund the 3 clubs in anyway?

Long winded question but I just don't understand how LLanelli RFC are so poor and consistently so


Good question,  which needs a good answer.  
Unfortunately,  I do 'nt have one.
It's a real issue I think ,which has to be addressed  urgently. 
If there was relegation  this year, we would be gone 

Incidentally,  was anyone at the Carmarthen  game today...basement battle?Another poor loss for RFC.
I stood yer on tanner bank
Back to Top
townboy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 18 November 2013
Location: llandeilo
Status: Offline
Points: 959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2023 at 6:22pm
Yes I was there today…the game was over at half time really Carmarthen were 26-0 up…Jac Price played for Carmarthen and was the only Scarlet/Academy player in their side..Morgan Jones was due to play for Llanelli but pulled out..Llanelli did come back into the game and scored 4 tries,2 were late on with the game lost..Llanelli had 6 full time Academy players playing with only Shelton their best forward…Back line look lost at times,as they were missing Eddie James / Corey Baldwin..From what I was told today the Wales u20’s boys were missing as well…Llandovery today didn’t have anyone playing from the Scarlets set up in their game..Llanelli rfc should be doing better with the players at their dispense,maybe it’s a coaching issue as the coaching staff have been there for some time..
Back to Top
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 22 November 2015
Location: llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 2473
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2023 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by townboy townboy wrote:

Yes I was there today…the game was over at half time really Carmarthen were 26-0 up…Jac Price played for Carmarthen and was the only Scarlet/Academy player in their side..Morgan Jones was due to play for Llanelli but pulled out..Llanelli did come back into the game and scored 4 tries,2 were late on with the game lost..Llanelli had 6 full time Academy players playing with only Shelton their best forward…Back line look lost at times,as they were missing Eddie James / Corey Baldwin..From what I was told today the Wales u20’s boys were missing as well…Llandovery today didn’t have anyone playing from the Scarlets set up in their game..Llanelli rfc should be doing better with the players at their dispense,maybe it’s a coaching issue as the coaching staff have been there for some time..

Thanks Townboy.
I would have gone  today, but we were taking my wife's great nieces to the panto in Frwnes. 
I am very disappointed  with that result. 
Honestly,  do'nt know what the answer is  ?
There has to be a total re- assessment  surely!
I stood yer on tanner bank
Back to Top
Llanelli1963 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 24 February 2022
Location: Llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 152
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2023 at 7:06pm
They’re poo because better plays have coke and gone who won’t put up with being dropped for below par academy players. Also the 2 coaches are absolute dreadful 
Back to Top
Llanelli1963 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 24 February 2022
Location: Llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 152
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2023 at 7:07pm
Players*** come** hahah 
Back to Top
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 22 November 2015
Location: llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 2473
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2023 at 8:22pm
Thank you,   Llanelli  1963.
It really upsets me to us doing so poorly.
Carmarthen  also having a poor season, so not a great time for region.
Let's hope some  can be done 
I stood yer on tanner bank
Back to Top
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 22 May 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 2347
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2023 at 9:19pm
Llandovery going well beat Ebbw vale 

Other two feeder clubs struggling thought  Llanelli would have won today but sounds like Quins played well Quins have a big injury list but still expected Llanelli to win today 

 
Back to Top
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 08 April 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 26804
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2023 at 6:11am
watched a fantastic game of rugby yesterday where Ammanford entertained Brecon in the cup with the Chief coaching Brecon it was end to end stuff full of skill and commitment which neither side deserved to lose but the highlight was Ammanford being awarded a touchline penalty in the final minute in front of Chief who well and truly threw his toys (clipboard and baseball cap) out the pram it was kicked and Ammanford won a thriller 25-24 really enjoyable game.
Back to Top
insidehalf View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 24 July 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 567
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote insidehalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2023 at 7:22am
Disappointing result for Llanelli but when you lose players to the Scarlets, Wales U20's and have to bring in 4 or 5 players in on permit you'll always struggle.
Back to Top
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 22 November 2015
Location: llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 2473
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2023 at 8:47am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

watched a fantastic game of rugby yesterday where Ammanford entertained Brecon in the cup with the Chief coaching Brecon it was end to end stuff full of skill and commitment which neither side deserved to lose but the highlight was Ammanford being awarded a touchline penalty in the final minute in front of Chief who well and truly threw his toys (clipboard and baseball cap) out the pram it was kicked and Ammanford won a thriller 25-24 really enjoyable game.

Well done Ammanford! 
Great to hear about the Chief suffering..LOL!LOL
I stood yer on tanner bank
Back to Top
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 22 May 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 2347
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2023 at 1:21pm
Great result for Ammanford that 
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 18095
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2023 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

watched a fantastic game of rugby yesterday where Ammanford entertained Brecon in the cup with the Chief coaching Brecon it was end to end stuff full of skill and commitment which neither side deserved to lose but the highlight was Ammanford being awarded a touchline penalty in the final minute in front of Chief who well and truly threw his toys (clipboard and baseball cap) out the pram it was kicked and Ammanford won a thriller 25-24 really enjoyable game.
 fair play great win that. What round you in next?
Back to Top
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 22 May 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 2347
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2023 at 2:45pm
Ammanford into the quarter finals home to St Joseph 
Back to Top
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 24 July 2010
Location: Llanelli
Status: Offline
Points: 7046
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2023 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

A serious question here from someone who rarely gets to see the semi pro games due to where I live, and the ones I do see are The Drovers.

Why are LLanelli RFC so poor?

I was up at Parc Eirias on Sunday and saw the drubbing they had as the score was still up.

My understanding is we have 3 feeder clubs Quins Drovers and LLanelli and my understanding is that Academy players are fed into these clubs to gain experience (happy to be corrected if this is wrong)

Do the RFC not have an equal share of these assets?

Are they prone to player theft with short notice call ups due to their proximity to Scarlets?
Or
Do they have a good squad but poor coaching?

It just seems mad that they I assume have access to all the facilities of the Scarlets but zero outcome whereas using the Drovers as my example (as I have seen their facilities) have your basic club facilities and I would say punch above their weight

Also do Scarlets fund the 3 clubs in anyway?

Long winded question but I just don't understand how LLanelli RFC are so poor and consistently so

I suspect the wage bill of the RFC is significantly smaller than the clubs in the top half of the table. The main priority of the likes of Ebbw Vale, Llandovery, RGC, Merthyr etc is to win the Welsh Premiership and the Cup. The main priority of the RFC is to be a development team for our academy and youngsters. We don’t value semi pro success highly so don’t invest in enough of those good but sub-professional level players that would turn the team into challengers. Swansea are in a similar position. They too get the majority of the Ospreys academy players but are a bottom half club. Cardiff invest more in their Welsh Premiership club and have a core of former pro and good semi-pro level players who supplement their academy boys. They’re the best team in the league. 

There’s an argument to be made that spending another £100-150k pa on grizzled semi pros would aid the development of our youngsters. There’s another argument that playing in a struggling team doesn’t harm the development of the youngsters provided they’re getting the right coaching. 
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 18095
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2023 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Ammanford into the quarter finals home to St Joseph 
2 games from the national stadium?
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.094 seconds.