Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION > Llanelli
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli RFC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2023 at 8:06pm
Imagine ammanford getting to Cardiff ...wow I wonder if gandalf will attend with the rest of the hobbits Wink
Sponsored Links

scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2023 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

A serious question here from someone who rarely gets to see the semi pro games due to where I live, and the ones I do see are The Drovers.

Why are LLanelli RFC so poor?

I was up at Parc Eirias on Sunday and saw the drubbing they had as the score was still up.

My understanding is we have 3 feeder clubs Quins Drovers and LLanelli and my understanding is that Academy players are fed into these clubs to gain experience (happy to be corrected if this is wrong)

Do the RFC not have an equal share of these assets?

Are they prone to player theft with short notice call ups due to their proximity to Scarlets?
Or
Do they have a good squad but poor coaching?

It just seems mad that they I assume have access to all the facilities of the Scarlets but zero outcome whereas using the Drovers as my example (as I have seen their facilities) have your basic club facilities and I would say punch above their weight

Also do Scarlets fund the 3 clubs in anyway?

Long winded question but I just don't understand how LLanelli RFC are so poor and consistently so

I suspect the wage bill of the RFC is significantly smaller than the clubs in the top half of the table. The main priority of the likes of Ebbw Vale, Llandovery, RGC, Merthyr etc is to win the Welsh Premiership and the Cup. The main priority of the RFC is to be a development team for our academy and youngsters. We don’t value semi pro success highly so don’t invest in enough of those good but sub-professional level players that would turn the team into challengers. Swansea are in a similar position. They too get the majority of the Ospreys academy players but are a bottom half club. Cardiff invest more in their Welsh Premiership club and have a core of former pro and good semi-pro level players who supplement their academy boys. They’re the best team in the league. 

There’s an argument to be made that spending another £100-150k pa on grizzled semi pros would aid the development of our youngsters. There’s another argument that playing in a struggling team doesn’t harm the development of the youngsters provided they’re getting the right coaching. 

good post Mugwuffin.
It puts some flesh on the bones of the argument, many have been chewing over.
No easy answers to this conundrum.
my own view is that sides should only receive WRU funding ,IF they can prove they are active in development .Some of the premiership games I have seen recently have highlighted what you say.
Too many sides paying older players not good enough for regional silly wages. 
not doing themselves ,or the game, any favours
I stood yer on tanner bank
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2023 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Imagine ammanford getting to Cardiff ...wow I wonder if gandalf will attend with the rest of the hobbits Wink
Ouch
Llanelli1963 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2023 at 9:23am
Originally posted by townboy townboy wrote:

Yes I was there today…the game was over at half time really Carmarthen were 26-0 up…Jac Price played for Carmarthen and was the only Scarlet/Academy player in their side..Morgan Jones was due to play for Llanelli but pulled out..Llanelli did come back into the game and scored 4 tries,2 were late on with the game lost..Llanelli had 6 full time Academy players playing with only Shelton their best forward…Back line look lost at times,as they were missing Eddie James / Corey Baldwin..From what I was told today the Wales u20’s boys were missing as well…Llandovery today didn’t have anyone playing from the Scarlets set up in their game..Llanelli rfc should be doing better with the players at their dispense,maybe it’s a coaching issue as the coaching staff have been there for some time..
shenton being their best forward show how poor scarlets academy boys are. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2023 at 10:19am
You still come across like a guy who was discarded by the Academy, or a close family member was

If I’m wrong apologies?

Edited by Wil Chips - 30 January 2023 at 10:20am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2023 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

You still come across like a guy who was discarded by the Academy, or a close family member was

If I’m wrong apologies?
not at all. You cant honestly look at the scarlets academy and say it’s rife with quality? It’s really poor. I’m just saying how it is. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelli1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2023 at 11:17am
Also wil chips you clearly don’t watch every week. Trying doing that having to sit through a loss week after week with the so called best of the best from the academy and let’s see you not get frustrated 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2023 at 12:11pm
I suppose it depends on what the expectations are. 16 of the match day squad from the Bulls game were Academy / Scarlets pathway products.

Your right, I don't see the current/younger academy guys week in week out.
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2023 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I suppose it depends on what the expectations are. 16 of the match day squad from the Bulls game were Academy / Scarlets pathway products.

Your right, I don't see the current/younger academy guys week in week out.

Getting some good answers there to my question didn't think about the funding issue as I assumed they all got the same, but coaching must be an issue and mentoring by some of the posts. As for the person's comment made about the quality of academy players I have watched all the LLandovery college matches and the game quality was very good with the Scarlets academy players showing very well, I am also watching the Scarlets U 18 and again much better than last year but that's the way of that age group with a 2 year window you can be good one year have a gap and pick up some new ones the year later and improve.
Last year being a typical example compared to this year.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2023 at 7:49pm

Three wins in two seasons of rugby . Yet the coaches and backroom staff stay in place .

Its heartbreaking to see Llanelli RFC bottom of the pile once again .

I thought Ben Willams was our best foward and Iestyn Gwilliam showed up well at centre . Josh Phillips needs to start at 10 and not 15 .

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2023 at 7:50pm
Who are the coaches Mark?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2023 at 8:22pm
Phil john is there isn’t he?
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2023 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Who are the coaches Mark?

Mark is the man to go to for answers.
A more loyal fan of scarlets  and Llanelli  you won't find .
Coaches , a better  mix of youth  and experience,  better support  from scarlets?..?
Be interesting  to hear what Mark says.
It is heartbreaking  to see the situation  ATM.
Let's hope for better things.

Question for Ladram. 
Who have Ammanford  got in next round?
Home tie ?
Done well so far !
I stood yer on tanner bank
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2023 at 9:17pm
St Joseph's Cardiff although I'm in Kent that weekend although I would have had a prior arrangement was I home.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2023 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Phil john is there isn’t he?
Phil came in as Head Coach in the summer. 
scarletsbeno1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsbeno1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2023 at 10:56pm
It's cohesion thing, players wise I heard from a former RFC player, the squad is constantly changing with scarlets players and players around the region coming in an out.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic