Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Llanelli v Cardiff Met University

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Llanelli v Cardiff Met University
    Posted: 07 January 2018 at 1:52pm
The match is on live on S4C today at 2:45. Was hoping see Conbeer or Rogers playing but they are not included. Are they injured or are they being held back for some reason?
Sponsored Links

157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

The match is on live on S4C today at 2:45. Was hoping see Conbeer or Rogers playing but they are not included. Are they injured or are they being held back for some reason?

I know there his Wales under 20s training this weekend and Scarlets Premiership Select have a must win game up at Hartpury College Gloucester next Saturday .Tom Rogers has not played in last couple of RFC games and could be injured .
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 3:16pm
Latest:  Met 7-25 Llanelli after 28 mins.
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 4:07pm
Met 15 - 35 Llanelli. 57 mins.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 5:50pm
was this a cup game?
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

was this a cup game?
Yes.
Final score: Cardiff Met 15 - 56 Llanelli
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 8:24pm
How did Alex Dombrandt (6 for Met) go? Looked decent at u20s level and isn't attached to any region.
Hendre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 9:07pm
Not up to much and limped off at the earliest opportunity, ask how some of the Llanelli lads played maybe?!
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Hendre Hendre wrote:

Not up to much and limped off at the earliest opportunity, ask how some of the Llanelli lads played maybe?!
I think I'll ask about whoever I want to ask about, thanks. Besides, if I want to know whether or not one of the Llanelli boys is ready for the next level, I'll ask when they play a decent opponent, not a mid level Championship team who they put 50 points on.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2018 at 10:52pm
Despite the score line this was a combative game to watch on the very cold terraces at Cyncoed. The Met were all as fit as fiddles and play in the British University Super League . Good confidence booster for the RFC players .

Updated: 07/01/2018 22:04     P     W     D     L     GD     BP     Pts
1     Exeter 1st     10     8     0     2     98     7     39
2     Cardiff Met 1st     10     8     0     2     65     5     37
3     Northumbria 1st     10     7     0     3     76     8     36
4     Leeds Beckett 1st     9     6     1     2     62     5     31
5     Loughborough 1st     10     5     0     5     73     7     27
6     Bath 1st     11     3     1     7     -107     7     21
7     Hartpury 1st     9     3     0     6     -15
8     Durham 1st     
9     Nottingham Trent 1st     

Met doing well in British University Super League.

Edited by reesytheexile - 07 January 2018 at 11:04pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 8:35am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Despite the score line this was a combative game to watch on the very cold terraces at Cyncoed. The Met were all as fit as fiddles and play in the British University Super League . Good confidence booster for the RFC players .

8     Durham 1st     

One comment on TV (S4C) which I didn't quite catch seemed to suggest that Cardiff Met was being used by one of the Aviva sides to give their academy players experience (Worcs? Glos? Missed it...) If so, it seems a bit cheeky, to say the least... added to the claim by some that Hartpury are being used by the RFU to possibly poach Welsh youngsters into the English system (I don't know if that claim is well founded.)

WRT Hartpury, this can't possibly be their '1st' team, surely - they have a team in the English Championship (their second tier) - surely, the players can't be doubling up - or not always - because of fixture clashes, etc.?

As regards Llanelli - they were much too strong in the scrums for Met, which killed off the game as a serious contest... though most of the front row looked as if they'd give Nicky Thomas serious competition at pie-eating! There was one exception - Rhys Fawcett, I think (?). He looked the part - Condy also looked like a pro player - is it confirmed that his knees won't allow him to figure at a higher level, or is there still some hope in that department?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 9:51am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

8     Durham 1st     

One comment on TV (S4C) which I didn't quite catch seemed to suggest that Cardiff Met was being used by one of the Aviva sides to give their academy players experience (Worcs? Glos? Missed it...) If so, it seems a bit cheeky, to say the least... added to the claim by some that Hartpury are being used by the RFU to possibly poach Welsh youngsters into the English system (I don't know if that claim is well founded.)

WRT Hartpury, this can't possibly be their '1st' team, surely - they have a team in the English Championship (their second tier) - surely, the players can't be doubling up - or not always - because of fixture clashes, etc.?

As regards Llanelli - they were much too strong in the scrums for Met, which killed off the game as a serious contest... though most of the front row looked as if they'd give Nicky Thomas serious competition at pie-eating! There was one exception - Rhys Fawcett, I think (?). He looked the part - Condy also looked like a pro player - is it confirmed that his knees won't allow him to figure at a higher level, or is there still some hope in that department?

Hartpury has been Gloucesters breeding ground for some time and it's worth noting just how many young welsh players have gone through there on their way to senior clubs. While there they are being picked for England age grades so that gives the players food for thought later when the choice has to be made. Matt Protheroe is a prime example, Gorseinon boy but now looks like he will stick with England.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Hendre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 10:36am
All the front row were excellent yesterday as was the pack in general. Judge players on performance only!

Edited by Hendre - 08 January 2018 at 11:01am
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 12:04pm
Richard Bassett, the Llanelli tighthead was my man of the match and did most to demolish the Uni scrum, carried aggressively and took his try well- reminded me of a mobile Shambo. I was surprised to learn that he also has age grade caps as Rhys Fawcett is the one who has gained most attention.
Lewis Williams kicking was superb from all angles in difficult gusting conditions, one of the best displays of goal kicking I've seen for a long time.  Considering Conbeer, Rogers and Ioan Nicholas weren't available along with Tomi Lewis and Baldwin being with Llandovery I think the Scarlets can be reasonably happy with the way the backs are developing although it was the pack that destroyed the opposition. The pack will find much tougher opposition than yesterday's and was itself pretty young.  
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Richard Bassett, the Llanelli tighthead was my man of the match and did most to demolish the Uni scrum, carried aggressively and took his try well- reminded me of a mobile Shambo. I was surprised to learn that he also has age grade caps as Rhys Fawcett is the one who has gained most attention.

Rich Basset is a superb player and one of the most skilful front row players I’ve seen.
Unfortunately what will hold him back is a lack of size, compared to say, Ben Leung. Bassett is a far superior player in every facet of the game (in my opinion) but his comparatively small frame means Leung gets opportunities while Rich hasn’t.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Hendre Hendre wrote:

All the front row were excellent yesterday as was the pack in general. Judge players on performance only!

I'd like to - and back in the day, I played prop (at a low level) - but these days, props have to be able to get around the park as well as scrummage, at the top level anyway. A prop who's great in the scrums but can't run far without getting out of puff won't survive in the pro game - like it or not. It's absolutely fine for the levels below, though.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic