Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New WRU payment deal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2022 at 9:04pm
So given all that why would the wru agree to this?
Sponsored Links

crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2022 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

PRL have a salary cap which is a positive for us. They also shop in a pool of similar salary expectations.
Leinster and Munster and possibly Ulster have budgets we will never match. 

The SA teams have in recent years begun access to a huge pool of young, black athletically gifted and frankly poor population, so do really well on a very small budget. 

PRL is run by and for its clubs. It often battles the RFU in order to preserve the integrity of the competition. URC is owned by the unions and therefore has totally different priorities.

PRL won't allow multiple clubs owned by the same entity. Everyone has to be genuinely fighting to beat the others. The IRFU and SRU can tell their clubs to do anything, put out weakened teams, transfer players in-between clubs etc. 

You don't need to worry about air travel to go to an away game in the PRL. Whether it's £££ or carbon footprint or just multiple days lost travelling, that's a massive bonus.
Spot on 

The salary cap would be a massive bonus for us, I say if there’s the slightest of chance that we could join the English league then we have to take it. Away days be superb as a travelling fan.

We’re peeing in the wind when it comes to the URC at times when it doesn’t have a salary cap and allows teams spend 3 times what others can.
Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2022 at 10:34pm
Held a Harlequins season ticket for a couple of seasons a few years back (a sad confession).Didn’t get large numbers of away fans to games and when I travelled not too many made the trip either.Half the English Premiership gets better attendances than us (Scarlets)and half the same or worse and without benefactors with deep pockets it is a financial basket case despite all the hype.
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2022 at 1:30am
Thanks Kent exile ....we need our wannabees to remove their rose tinted glasses 
Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2022 at 8:41am
I don't think anyone thinks we'll be winning titles year on year in front of full houses, it's about what's the most appealing and sustainable long term option.

I'm not a fan of unions having so much control over the league and clubs, I don't particularly like competitions that change so drastically on a frequent basis, I'd prefer a relatively level playing field.

The English and French leagues have their faults, and no-one can protect a company totally from mismanagement, but at least their failure or success is largely up to the individual clubs and can't be dictated by their unions.

I want us to be in control of our success or failure, not various unions.

The highest budget has won the URC for 4 of the last 5 years, and last years winner was a team that went into administration and their union took over. Whatever your thoughts on union's roles in rugby that's not ideal is it.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2022 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I don't think anyone thinks we'll be winning titles year on year in front of full houses, it's about what's the most appealing and sustainable long term option.

I'm not a fan of unions having so much control over the league and clubs, I don't particularly like competitions that change so drastically on a frequent basis, I'd prefer a relatively level playing field.

The English and French leagues have their faults, and no-one can protect a company totally from mismanagement, but at least their failure or success is largely up to the individual clubs and can't be dictated by their unions.

I want us to be in control of our success or failure, not various unions.

The highest budget has won the URC for 4 of the last 5 years, and last years winner was a team that went into administration and their union took over. Whatever your thoughts on union's roles in rugby that's not ideal is it.

Could not agree more. The level playing field principle is what we really need to get to or as near as humanly possible. The alternative long term picture otherwise can be seen by the football Premier League where Middle Eastern/Russian or American crooks/entrepreneurs dictate.

A British & Irish league would be the ideal with clubs taking centre stage in negotiating contracts and release of players under contract. Of course a salary cap would cause immense issues for the Irish sides but so what? They could either sign up or join their South African colleagues or indeed formulate their own Irish league as they seem to have plenty of funding available.  Northern Hemisphere rugby is at a crossroads with far more clubs struggling than thriving. The status quo is not an option despite it seemingly satisfying some clubs. 
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2022 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

A British & Irish league would be the ideal with clubs taking centre stage in negotiating contracts and release of players under contract.

I don't agree with this anymore. I don't want to be in any competition with Union owned clubs. All they do is lookout for the test game above the domestic game. You can see that at the moment with the IRFU taking 30 players out of the URC and over to South Africa for a tour whilst URC games are taking place. That is bringing the game into disrepute and would never happen in England or France.

We need an Anglo Welsh league.

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2022 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

A British & Irish league would be the ideal with clubs taking centre stage in negotiating contracts and release of players under contract.

I don't agree with this anymore. I don't want to be in any competition with Union owned clubs. All they do is lookout for the test game above the domestic game. You can see that at the moment with the IRFU taking 30 players out of the URC and over to South Africa for a tour whilst URC games are taking place. That is bringing the game into disrepute and would never happen in England or France.

We need an Anglo Welsh league.

That was the point I was making, albeit not well, in saying that clubs should take centre stage. No more Union sponsored/owner clubs. 
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2022 at 1:56pm
We may as well sign up to the RFU as second class options , I think we could do well playing in Div 3 
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2022 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

We may as well sign up to the RFU as second class options , I think we could do well playing in Div 3 

I'd rather do that than continue in this sh*t show called the URC...
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2022 at 2:41pm
players are up for strike action according to WOL
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2022 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

players are up for strike action according to WOL

No surprise there.....some of the boys been on a go-slow for two years
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2022 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Thats just a stupid throw away comment ...I thought you were better than that 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2022 at 7:18pm

Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Thats just a stupid throw away comment ...I thought you were better than that 
was it jake or elwood blues who saw the light?Wink
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2022 at 7:42pm
Not sure but 100% certain it wasn't stevie wonderLOL
Cofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2022 at 9:15pm
Not directly to do with the WRU deal but,
disappointed to see that Llandovery Coll have signed a new deal with Cardiff (Blues) enabling a clear player pathway. Does this negate the partnership they had with us?  With numerous scholarships the school is no longer only for the rich, it enabled many north/mid wales players their 1st access to top level coaching and strength and conditioning programmes. I hope they continue to support a player pathway to the Scarlets- Daf Hughes is testament to that success.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic