Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Zealand selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 3:11pm
Does anyone, apart from Scarletsrules, think we stand a chance on Saturday??? For me anything under a 20 point defeat would be a decent show bearing in mind its our first game for months & its their 7th or 8th. Many of our team will have no more than two games of rugby this season, some have a handful of games in the last season/two seasons.
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 4:36pm
Mark jones wAs upbeat sunday! Yoy never know they could have 3 men sent off or all get food poisioning, i’m going to game so i live in hope!Smile
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 5:42pm
I’ll be honest, it wouldn’t surprise me if New Zealand put more than 60 points on us, they’re fresh, drilled & match ready. So many of our squad are far from that! 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Does anyone, apart from Scarletsrules, think we stand a chance on Saturday??? For me anything under a 20 point defeat would be a decent show bearing in mind its our first game for months & its their 7th or 8th. Many of our team will have no more than two games of rugby this season, some have a handful of games in the last season/two seasons.

Red cards etc these days very influential - they’ve had 2 this year already. 

To some extent we’re a bit of an unknown entity whereas our analysts have fresh insight on how they play - e.g. how SA beat them a few weeks ago.

But I’ve still predicted NZ by 26
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 8:26pm
If we keep it under 40 be very good result 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Dai Guevara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2021 at 8:40pm
They showed against USA how completely ruthless they are - no easing off to let one of the minor rugby nations keep some dignity, just plough on to humiliate them and score over a hundred points. If we show weakness we can similarly expect it to be exploited to the full.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 12:06pm

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Originally posted by John John wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

A fit scott is better than a fit willis he should be in the squad anyhow. How is tomkins playing this season? Sarrires seem to be i  good form and he aled are first team regulars there

Have seen some of Tompkins for Sarries - he is much the same. He was , in my opinion, never an International standard centre and he never will be. He looks good alongside Farrell & Lozowski playing behind a juggernaut pack but so would you RR I have no doubt. Shocked

He looked really good sidestepping around Pieter Scholtz at the weekend. But that just reinforces my view of him as a bit of a flat track bully. Against the ABs midfield, Scott is a far better option. 

Kind of agree, I’ve actually always quite liked Tomkins because he looks like he cares and tries hard, but still seems prone to a howling mistake - whether that’s an intercept/missed tackle/charge down who knows.

Playing behind a Sarries pack and outside Farrell is quite the armchair ride.

Scott just seems a bit sturdier in D. 

Am I right in thinking it’s only Scarlets centres available to Pivac on Sat?

3 Scarlets & Ben Thomas from Cardiff. 

Moved here as less relevant to Scotty thread.

But basically the option vs the All Blacks is

Jonny Williams (played about 50 mins of rugby)
Jon Davies (played a few games and been run around by Munster’s 2nd XV)
Ben Thomas (one cap off the bench vs Canada)
Scott Williams (in good form but a late call up)

For me the best pair we’ve got are Williams Williams but Foxy runs defence so he’ll have to start

https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 12:13pm

Mark jones wAs upbeat sunday! Yoy never know they could have 3 men sent off or all get food poisioning, i’m going to game so i live in hope!Smile

They'd be the All Browns then. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 12:15pm

Originally posted by John John wrote:

A fit scott is better than a fit willis he should be in the squad anyhow. How is tomkins playing this season? Sarrires seem to be i  good form and he aled are first team regulars there

Have seen some of Tompkins for Sarries - he is much the same. He was , in my opinion, never an International standard centre and he never will be. He looks good alongside Farrell & Lozowski playing behind a juggernaut pack but so would you RR I have no doubt. Shocked

He looked really good sidestepping around Pieter Scholtz at the weekend. But that just reinforces my view of him as a bit of a flat track bully. Against the ABs midfield, Scott is a far better option. 

Kind of agree, I’ve actually always quite liked Tomkins because he looks like he cares and tries hard, but still seems prone to a howling mistake - whether that’s an intercept/missed tackle/charge down who knows.

Playing behind a Sarries pack and outside Farrell is quite the armchair ride.

Scott just seems a bit sturdier in D. 

Am I right in thinking it’s only Scarlets centres available to Pivac on Sat?

3 Scarlets & Ben Thomas from Cardiff. 

Moved here as less relevant to Scotty thread.

But basically the option vs the All Blacks is

Jonny Williams (played about 50 mins of rugby)
Jon Davies (played a few games and been run around by Munster’s 2nd XV)
Ben Thomas (one cap off the bench vs Canada)
Scott Williams (in good form but a late call up)

For me the best pair we’ve got are Williams Williams but Foxy runs defence so he’ll have to start

Yes that really is a telling assessment when you think we are up against the two best sides in the World in the next 10 days. We really don't help ourselves though. Read today that Stuart Hogg is feeling back to his best having played 4 times for Exeter this season. Players need games regardless of how good they are to prepare for big Internationals. If the AB's handling & support play gets anywhere need their normal in games then we are going to be looking at a long afternoon/evening. 

The stupidity of the situation will be laid bare when Liam is deemed ready & thrown in against the Boks or the gentle tackling Fijians for his first match in 3 months - you couldn't really make it up could you. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2021 at 12:39pm
New Zealand are 33-1 on to win on one site.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2021 at 11:03am
I fear for whoever is wearing the 13 shirt for Wales on Saturday. The way the AB's attack that outside channel with pace & power is poetry in motion when they get it right, which they invariably do. I can only see one selection now that Halaholo is out & thats Foxy. I sincerely hope he can find that missing ingredient in his game to turn back the clock to the way he performed in 2017 for the Lions. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2021 at 11:13am
Lets be honest lane is a poor defender so is jonny mac, so those wider channels will be exposed if it is windy and wet id keep the roof open

Edited by RR1972 - 28 October 2021 at 11:15am
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2021 at 11:16am

Lets be honest lane is a poor defender so is jonny mac, so those wider channels will be exposed if it is windy and wet id keep the roof open

Roof is open because of the pandemic.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2021 at 11:16am

Good idea - we do need all the help we can get. Unhappy
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2021 at 11:19am

Good idea - we do need all the help we can get. Unhappy

And when we beat them we'll have a great view of all those flying pigs...

Nah, I'll be positive. No injuries. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2021 at 12:05pm

Wales team: Johnny McNicholl; Owen Lane, Jonathan Davies, Johnny Williams, Josh Adams; Gareth Anscombe, Tomos Williams; Wyn Jones, Ken Owens, Tomas Francis, Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones (c), Ross Moriarty, Taine Basham, Aaron Wainwright.

Replacements:Ryan Elias, Rhys Carre, Dillon Lewis, Will Rowlands, Seb Davies, Gareth Davies, Rhys Priestland, Ben Thomas.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic