Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Zealand selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Zealand selection
    Posted: 14 September 2021 at 8:58am
An interesting debate is set to take place over the next few weeks with regard to the Welsh team selection for the NZ game which, of course, falls outside the test window. Will the English Premiership change their long held stance and release English based players for the game? I do not see that happening so who will replace Biggar, Sheedy, Faletau & LRZ in the squad? 

The situation at 10 seems the most challenging & dare I say interesting with both Anscombe & Patchell starting their comebacks from long term injury issues and Rhys Priestland returning to Wales. I would imagine Jarrod Evans will one of the 3 10's named in the squad but who will accompany him and will Pivac name 4 in the squad as insurance for the NZ game? Will Sheedy be given the clear message that he is playing in the wrong country by being dropped from the squad for all 4 Autumn games with Biggar, Evans & a Welsh based 10 making the squad? 

An interesting dilemma & I would be interested in finding out what my fellow posters feel. 
Sponsored Links

Kentexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2021 at 3:00pm
Last season the SRU paid compensation to the English Premiership teams to secure release of players outside the international window for the rearranged. France v Scotland game 
Wales have in the past “swapped” one game in the window for a more high profile one outside to do a deal on player availability.
If this isn’t an option this time and the WRU aren’t willing to put their hands in their pockets to ensure the best team is available  for the All Blacks   then (reluctantly) my sympathy is with the Premiership teams. It is already sold out so I am not expecting things to change.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2021 at 4:25pm
I don’t think pivac trusts evans at ten if priestland patchell or anscombe show any form they”ll all leap frog him. Priestland looks the fave to start the nz game to me
 Biggar is a cert to be called up sheedy less so

Edited by RR1972 - 14 September 2021 at 4:26pm
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2021 at 6:40pm
Sheedy is an interesting one in that which region would bother signing him? The Dragons?
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 10:38am
If I were the WRU I would go all out & ask the English Clubs if we could have Biggar, LRZ, Faletau etc for this game & they can go back for the Fiji match tbh. Whether that means we pay them a little bit of cash to sweeten the deal is up to them.

The ABs are, lets face it, the Holy Grail for many players to play against & we need every one of our best players on the pitch to even stand a chance of keeping it respectable. We will be playing a side who have played for a couple of months in the RC whereas we will have had 2 weeks in camp.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

If I were the WRU I would go all out & ask the English Clubs if we could have Biggar, LRZ, Faletau etc for this game & they can go back for the Fiji match tbh. Whether that means we pay them a little bit of cash to sweeten the deal is up to them.

The ABs are, lets face it, the Holy Grail for many players to play against & we need every one of our best players on the pitch to even stand a chance of keeping it respectable. We will be playing a side who have played for a couple of months in the RC whereas we will have had 2 weeks in camp.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we spent money to get players for what is essentially a money raising friendly. That sort of seems quite counter intuitive.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 12:28pm

The English clubs should't budge IMO, they have important Premiership games that weekend and they are their primary employer. I really wish we had an umbrella organisation like PRL in Wales.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 12:36pm
Most likely not worth the money to pay the England clubs for the release.

If Faletau, Biggar and LRZ play they’ll probably lose 38-17 instead of 45-10 without them. If that costs the WRU £50-100k for those releases what’s the point? 

Only worthwhile if there are no credible alternatives. Otherwise might as well give more exposure to Wainwright, Anscombe/Priestland and Jonah Holmes
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 1:31pm
We'll get tuned if we field a patched up side due to player release. Kind of makes you wonder why the fixture was scheduled in the first place, given the International window, and it being against the All Blacks. ConfusedConfusedConfused
Scarlets!!!
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

We'll get tuned if we field a patched up side due to player release. Kind of makes you wonder why the fixture was scheduled in the first place, given the International window, and it being against the All Blacks. ConfusedConfusedConfused
£££££££
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

The English clubs should't budge IMO, they have important Premiership games that weekend and they are their primary employer. I really wish we had an umbrella organisation like PRL in Wales.
but we don’t , so untill then i want to see our players with wales not english clubs, not that it matters we won’t beat the kiwis with our with out those players
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

but we don’t , so untill then i want to see our players with wales not english clubs, not that it matters we won’t beat the kiwis with our with out those players
But the English clubs are what our clubs should be like in Wales. They are 100% in the right here. Good for them. 

Edited by scarletnut - 15 September 2021 at 6:04pm
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 6:10pm
That’s what they should be but it ain’t what they are. I can’t bring myself to put the needs of english club rugby above that of my national team tbh
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 9:12pm
Can not blame English clubs not releasing welsh players if game is outside window 

See six nations tickets on sale 115 pound 
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2021 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Can not blame English clubs not releasing welsh players if game is outside window 

See six nations tickets on sale 115 pound 

Got to pay for the hotel. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2021 at 7:47am
Given the injuries to the Blues 10s last night, we could be really struggling for a 10 against the All Blacks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic