Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nigel Ashley-Jones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nigel Ashley-Jones
    Posted: 09 January 2022 at 5:39pm
Here’s a feature piece with Scarlets head of physical performance Nigel Ashley-Jones.

Interesting comments on the culture Dwayne is creating at the club.

I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sponsored Links

Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 6:07pm
Some interesting quotes from Ashley-Jones. I got the impression that the last coaching regime was a bit soft and didn’t demand the highest standards from the squad. We seemed to slip into thinking that our primary purpose was to support the national team and a malaise set in. 

I like what I hear about Peel’s mindset and the commitment he demands from the whole squad, internationals included. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 6:24pm
Good read that. 

I don’t know if anyone saw the Scarlets Instagram yesterday but the players were going through what looked like a hell of a fitness session in the barn. Was good to see, everyone looked very focussed. 
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2022 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Good read that. 

I don’t know if anyone saw the Scarlets Instagram yesterday but the players were going through what looked like a hell of a fitness session in the barn. Was good to see, everyone looked very focussed. 

think that won us the Os game
Scarlets before Wales
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 7:29am
All fits into the team ethos Peel talked about at the beginning. No place for swollen egos at PYS anymore. Been one casualty so far. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 9:01am
For those of you without a Rugby Paper subscription you can also read it here 

I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 9:13am

Excellent read! 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 9:15am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Thanks Steff - great read. Days of "make a great son-in-law" seem to be over. The guy has worked with some good professionals & clearly rates Dwayne very highly. His involvement will make our players better & may have been a bit of shock for young guys like Morgan Jones & Jac Price whose exposure to being professional athletes under Glenn may have been a little soft shall we say.
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 9:24am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Thanks Steff - great read. Days of "make a great son-in-law" seem to be over. The guy has worked with some good professionals & clearly rates Dwayne very highly. His involvement will make our players better & may have been a bit of shock for young guys like Morgan Jones & Jac Price whose exposure to being professional athletes under Glenn may have been a little soft shall we say.

Enjoyed reading the article-I didn't realise Ashley-Jones came with such pedigree tbh.Everything I read ,and everything I hear, suggest things are moving in the right direction.Success will come and the last 3 seasons will be a distant memory in a year or two.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Nigel Ashley-Jones Nigel Ashley-Jones wrote:

If you go into a regime like you’d get with Steve Diamond or Eddie Jones the players know where they stand.  Dwayne is great at setting standards. You either rise up to those standards or go and speak to your agent and sign for another club.

Those 2 lines in particular speak volumes about the mentality Peel is trying to instil. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Enjoyed reading the article-I didn't realise Ashley-Jones came with such pedigree tbh.Everything I read ,and everything I hear, suggest things are moving in the right direction.Success will come and the last 3 seasons will be a distant memory in a year or two.

Yes Dic I think we are in good hands. Patience &, of course, financial security will be needed if the coaching team are to succeed. However at last we seem to have a group of coaches who fully understand what it takes to compete.
Tony Clifton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2022 at 2:32pm
Diolch Steff! Great article and I think he’s a quality addition to the club!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic