Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nottingham Friendly POTENTIAL Line Ups

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2021 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Thanks for this. Great report.

All good apart from the concern at 7. Cubby not there yet. Macleod out til Xmas, Tomas on international duty, so this was Dan’s time.

Tom’s issue ( just my opinion) is that those sort of whole hearted performances result in a physical breakdown. No one can challenge the size of his heart though, and to that end I’d be delighted to see him fulfill his talent.

Caleb Salmon and Archer are really big bonuses in areas where we look a little lacking in depth.

It was noticeable that he was slow to get up after some tackles. He was usually up very quickly in our defensive line, and often caught their player behind their gain line, thus stifling their momentum. He did put in some crunching hits. 

Tom played very well.

Edited by ap sior - 04 September 2021 at 7:45pm
Sponsored Links

turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2021 at 8:04pm
Don't actually agree with wasps view on Harry Williams. I thought he played at pace all through the game and his service was much quicker than or senior scrums halved and archive was very good when he came on but that was against a tiring defence. Salmon looks some talent, physical but also great handling skills and some great offloads.
Baldwin and conbeer were excellent too but steff evs looked like he had an edge to his game today, maybe he realises he has got a genuine challenge to his spot. 
Morgan Jones very good game and I really really hope we keep Tom Phillips on, bit of luck and he will do a job for us.
Last point, just so good seeing shingler out there lads had a crap time injury wise and deserves some luck
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2021 at 8:12pm
Couple of things to work on this week in my opinion. we were a little weak in defending their driving maul I felt.

Secondly, not sure why, but there were 4 overthrows at lineout time which was disappointing. Calls, jumpers, lifters, thrower, not sure which of these were the problem, but it needs sorting.

Otherwise it was a good performance with some good handling skills shown by several players.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2021 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

Don't actually agree with wasps view on Harry Williams. I thought he played at pace all through the game and his service was much quicker than or senior scrums halved and archive was very good when he came on but that was against a tiring defence. Salmon looks some talent, physical but also great handling skills and some great offloads.
Baldwin and conbeer were excellent too but steff evs looked like he had an edge to his game today, maybe he realises he has got a genuine challenge to his spot. 
Morgan Jones very good game and I really really hope we keep Tom Phillips on, bit of luck and he will do a job for us.
Last point, just so good seeing shingler out there lads had a crap time injury wise and deserves some luck
I thought I was quite complementary lol.

Thought he was very good actually, didn't mean to dwell on the speed of getting the ball off the deck. He was certainly quicker than Cawdor.

As Will said, nice to have more depth at 9 and back row, given our Wales commitments and injuries.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2021 at 10:24pm
Very good display for a 1st run-out of the season.
Seen some comments on Social Media about Nottingham being semi-pros - we had a lot o young players out there today making their debuts, it's a bit of a leveller for me TBH.
Some very nice touches and handling skills on display by both forwards and backs, with a clear intent to play some nice rugby.
Bodes well for the season ahead.
NB: It looked like Steff Evans has gained a yard of pace over the summer.  Plus I thought Shingler had a nice cameo at the end. Huge season for him ahead after his injury.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Dai Guevara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2021 at 10:24pm
Caleb needs to be careful at this stage in his career, before he has fully bulked up. He puts absolutely everything into his carrying - something that we have really needed, but maybe he needs to put more power and bulk on before he starts picking up injuries in collisions. Perhaps at the moment we should consider him more as an emerging 8 than as a ready second row.
We certainly turned it on in the second half when Costelow, Shingler Steff Evans, Caleb and Archie came on and could do little wrong. It finally turned into an exhibition match with some beautiful tries.

Edited by Dai Guevara - 04 September 2021 at 10:25pm
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 7:37am
Thanks everyone for the feedback and commentary. Really pleased for Tom - as has already been mentioned his total commitment to the cause and his selfless physical displays have delivered many injuries. Also the way he took the fact of being released is a lesson to all. His passion for the Scarlets remains undiminished.

Good he hear that Steff Evans is looking back to his old self again - I am afraid last season's attacking ideas didn't make the most of his undoubted skills. Archie & Caleb have appeared from the academy & clearly have huge potential. Harri & Archie will be eyeing a spot in the 23 when Hardy & Cawdor are away with Wales. I am sure Dwayne & his coaching team will  have learnt a huge amount to work on this week as they leave for a sunny North Wales in preparation for Leicester on Thursday. 

I expect many changes for Thursday as our array of Internationals start to appear - my biggest concern, already mentioned, is the 7 shirt. It seems Dan didn't go too well yesterday & all the other contenders are injured or unavailable. Dan's fellow Llandeilo colleague Iestyn Rees may be given the shirt at some stage. 
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 8:27am
Hope to see some video of the tries 
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 8:34am
There are clips of some of the tries on the latest piece Scarlets put on Twitter with Dwayne talking about the game.

Edited by haydn_davies - 05 September 2021 at 8:35am
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 9:00am
Originally posted by haydn_davies haydn_davies wrote:

There are clips of some of the tries on the latest piece Scarlets put on Twitter with Dwayne talking about the game.

On Instagram too. Not sure if this will work. 

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Archive scores again, good support running.  43-14
From new Academy signing to archive in about 5 minutes is some fast forwarding of a career Wink
 😂 😂 Agh the blasted predictive text strikes again !

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 10:59am
I think for Archie’s sake we should file archive away for now 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 12:05pm
Thank you to everyone for the updates and then the analysis. As someone who isn’t local and therefore couldn’t make it to the game, following this thread has made it feel like I was there yesterday! Looking forward to the start of the season now and hoping that some of the academy prospects that had good games yesterday are able to become breakthrough players.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 12:29pm
Scrum half is going to be an interesting position to choose the starting player this season. Compounded by the fact your head coach being one of the all time great number 9s. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Scrum half is going to be an interesting position to choose the starting player this season. Compounded by the fact your head coach being one of the all time great number 9s. 
We have too many scrum halfs again to keep happy. If I was Gareth D I might now be thinking of a career move to make a change / refresher to life eg to English Premiership at least. He has stagnated form wise but of course, Covid has confused things as well over the last 18 months.

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I think for Archie’s sake we should file archive away for now 

My sincere apologies for that, it was a genuine error. Predictive text, and there was so much happening at that point in the match.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic