Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On the bright side

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On the bright side
    Posted: 02 May 2022 at 12:58pm
We’ve scored more tries this season than anyone except Leinster and we’re equal with Munster.
Unfortunately we’ve conceded more tries than anyone except Zebre!

Sort the defence and sign a lock who can make an impact against the bigger teams and we’ll have a decent season in 22/23.

If we really are shedding a load of players, I would hope that we bring in someone experienced to help Hogan, even on a temporary basis.

Thumbs Up
We're still still here!
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 12:59pm
Help Hogan with defence, obviously 
We're still still here!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Help Hogan with defence, obviously 

Or replace him????
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 2:26pm
Perhaps we should have got Hulk Hogan 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 12:37am
Looking on the bright side is always the best, particularly after disappointing defeats.
Quite often by taking the emotion out of things, and looking at things with a clear perspective is helpful

I listened to the post ,match interview with Dwaine, and he indicated what most of us know already, regarding the first 20 mins of the second half, where instead of playing with control and looking for territory, we lost control, and made basis errors. Soon the game ran away from us.
You could see , he was frustrated, annoyed, and probably hurting, but he is by nature a cool customer,
and this is what we need going forward.

We have all put forward our own personal templates for future success, and Dwaine I am sure has his his own vision of the the structures, and personnel, on and off the field.
We he gets what he wants, is another thing.
I have every confidence, that he (and his team) can turn around our fortunes around , given that the injury crisis, eases(surely), and there is also some more recruitment.
As we have already discussed, defence ,is his NO1 priority.

I would like to make a comparison to one one of the other "loves " of my life, Liverpool football club, who I have followed , since a boy. I seems throughout my life, I followed everything RED, in and outside of sport.
In 2015, things were far from the bright side, after failing the win the premiership under Brendan Rogers, the club appointed Jurgen Klopp.
Even with all the resources available to him, it took him several seasons before delivering success, moulding a team in his vision, and also developing and nurturing the talent already there, with others departing. He has local also seen talent like Alexander Arnold blossom, and important role model for future talent. 

We must also remember that Wayne Pivac(and team), also took a while before delivering success, and it is that success , which led to the break up of a successful coaching team.
Continuity is important, in any sport, and we must remember that international calls have deprived us of  several coaches, in quick succession..Easterby, P.ivac and then Moar.
This was followed with the appointment of another coach, in Glenn Delaney, and sadly, this did not work out !
So now after defeat to the ospreys, putting the nail in to a ramshackle, disjointed, injury ravaged  season, the last thing we want, is more disruption.
Hogan will have to have a chance to put things right, but if he does not, obviously Dwaine & the board has to consider their options. Next season is going ton be an important building block.

We must always look on the bright side, however cruel and disappointing professional sport can be.
My family member , and passionate Scarlet, started for wales v the Italians, last sat.
She has done well in this 6N,mainly coming off the bench in other games, BUT this was a poor team performance, and she was in tears after the game. It meant that much. and the sacrifice to be where she is, from herself (and others) to be the best she can be,  has been huge!!!
The the immediate reaction therefore , is to feel you have let down the fans,& your family, your friends, it is the first thing that comes in to mind.( Lets be honest no-one goes out to play badly)
Of course the support network , like myself says , "come on , the review will take place, .."We lose together and we win together" Tomorrow will be another day, get up , get back on the horse and start again. NOTHING, is impossible, and look on the bright side

We as Scarlets fans, have had our share of disappointments , in the last two seasons...and naturally there has been a times, a fair amount of negativity.
We need to trust the board / coaching team, and players to turn things around.
For our part we can only do what we have always done...just be there , get behind the lads, and when we play Stormers, lets hear "Sospan Fach" loud and clear", for , without us (the fans) there is no SCARLETS.
Just as importantly, lets look towards next season with a little more optimism, and look on the bright side !

I stood yer on tanner bank
EMGM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 3:16am
At last someone with a sensible post. I always try my best to look at problems with a glass half full attitude and that needs topping up now with the Scarlets recent results. I totally agree with Mr. Pimp's post excellent points made. So come on the Scarlet faithful your time and enthusiasm is required again our SA fiends and get ready for a new season. Hug
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 7:21am
Pimp as always makes very valid points straight from the heart. However we cannot avoid the elephant in the room which is our defensive failings. I am sure Dwayne is all over the issue and next season the problem will be addressed. He correctly summed up our 3rd quarter failings - at times like that teams look to their half backs and leaders to introduce a limited, short term gameplan to see out the sin bin period - this, for whatever reason, never happened.

The plan is simple if everyone is on the same page - keep the opposition as far away from your half as possible, give yourself time to re-set your defensive line, cut out avoidable penalties even if that means conceding possession & above all concentrate 100% on your defensive alignment & line speed. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 7:54am
I find it very difficult to look on the bright side after shipping 40 points in a second half against our fiercest rivals and this in the week when they are asking you to renew your season tickets.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 8:01am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I find it very difficult to look on the bright side after shipping 40 points in a second half against our fiercest rivals and this in the week when they are asking you to renew your season tickets.

I know the feeling Nigel but I also know that with the correct defensive coaching this squad could be transformed into a top 6 contender in the URC. Many more knowledgeable rugby men than I agree that defence is one of the easier fixes in the game - I find that quite hard to believe as Mr Hogan has not really made any progress from that dark day last Autumn at home to Munster right up to last Saturday. I cannot look any further than realising he is not the man for the job and replacing him but what do I know.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:16am
Despite performances that cover the full spectrum of possible descriptions this season, the overwhelming positive aspect has been the unearthing of new young talent, and those players being given significant game time. A great coaching move in my opinion. From that game time these guys are clearly going to make it ( O'Connor, Kemsley, Tuipulotu, Steff Thomas, Jac Price, Costelow, Archie Hughes, Joe Roberts and others).

Equally pleasing is seeing the investment in young 'existing' talent leading to a break through season and them becoming match day 23 regulars ( Conbeer, Daf Hughes, Sebastien, Morgan Jones, Tom Rogers, Shaun Evans and Baldwin for example).

Having said all that I don't think I've ever seen or read so much negativity, acutely inaccurate rhetoric, or in some cases actually latent hostility towards the Scarlets coaching team and certain players as I have this season.
It's most likely me as I can't seem to process how 'supporters' actually seem to revel more in defeat and team/individual poor performances, than opt to support the team they claim to be behind.
I actually don't want to read that stuff any longer, and taking a step back from those sources, that includes this forum.
Looking forward to flying back for the last game.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Despite performances that cover the full spectrum of possible descriptions this season, the overwhelming positive aspect has been the unearthing of new young talent, and those players being given significant game time. A great coaching move in my opinion. From that game time these guys are clearly going to make it ( O'Connor, Kemsley, Tuipulotu, Steff Thomas, Jac Price, Costelow, Archie Hughes, Joe Roberts and others).

Equally pleasing is seeing the investment in young 'existing' talent leading to a break through season and them becoming match day 23 regulars ( Conbeer, Daf Hughes, Sebastien, Morgan Jones, Tom Rogers, Shaun Evans and Baldwin for example).

Having said all that I don't think I've ever seen or read so much negativity, acutely inaccurate rhetoric, or in some cases actually latent hostility towards the Scarlets coaching team and certain players as I have this season.
It's most likely me as I can't seem to process how 'supporters' actually seem to revel more in defeat and team/individual poor performances, than opt to support the team they claim to be behind.
I actually don't want to read that stuff any longer, and taking a step back from those sources, that includes this forum.

You may choose not to answer but this is a genuine question from a supporter who shares your excitement in the unearthing a real young talent which we have witnessed this season. What is your take on the defensive issues we face? 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 9:56am
I must admit I do agree with Will Chips, I have not been as active as I once was, we are all Scarlet supporters and I appreciate that, but we also have to be realistic. I have no idea what actually happened during the Delany era, so many comments here, and some details told to me in confidence, all I know it was a bad time.

Dwayne and his new team has come in and we have had a season full of drama, with rugby covering all aspects of the game. Will is right new talent has emerged, players have improved, we have improved over the past month or so, and as I have said previously it is no coincidence that it was during the time when we have had all the players together.

The 2 issues that need to improve is defence and concentration, both are well below what we would like, we do life in a blame culture, and this forum is no different, but blaming everyone in their turn is not great for morale or reading, which is why I only contribute when I really feel like it, I honestly doubt if there is one player or one member of the coaching staff who has not been blamed (criticise if one wants to call it)  most of it, in my opinion unfairly.

I do feel that when people like Will gives up posting, there is something wrong, and we should all look at ourselves in the mirror. Will has far more knowledge of what is happening in PYS, and is unable to print it, so he is one of many I do read and respect.  

One question are we as a TEAM moving in the right direction, I think we are it is work in progress.

Take care and enjoy the last game, I think we'll win.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 10:10am

Good post Will. We have a totally new coaching setup and we have to be patient. Hogan getting a bashing for the defence, he  arrived highly regarded from Leinster who don't deal in duds.
Let's be positive as we are moving forward, it will take time.
If we finish top Welsh region and in 9th place then that is acceptable for the first season. Let's judge end of next season to see where we have moved.

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 10:19am
I'll admit I was gutted we lost & it really showed how frail we are defensively but on the other hand the match game off the back of some gruelling matches & given the amount of injuries we have had it wasn't surprising we ran out of steam. 

So the Ospreys now have the Dragons & the Bulls at home whilst we have the Stormers, as it stands the Ospreys, game in hand aside, have an extra advantage in they have won one more match than us & that's the first criteria for separating teams that finish on the same points. 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 11:12am

Excellent post Cen!!! 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 11:14am
We have played some cracking rugby and scored some excellent trys in the last block of games, on the flip side we have given away lots of trys and been poor in defence. We are eratic but thay maybe down to being such a young side, we are good to watch so that is one thing at least!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic