Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On the bright side

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 10:23am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Criticism is not abuse . If people play or coach badly we must be allowed to say so, that is a key purpose of forums.  The litmus test for me is would i say what i post to some ones face and i alwAys try to apply that. Abuse swearing and threats are pathetic and is something i don’t do, but if i think some one is playing badly i”ll say so.  I have to admit to having a thick skin if people in the internet disagree with me or have a go at me i could care less, one of the benefits of not being a deep thinker i guessWink

Thats fair in my opinion RR. I try to use the same yardstick - write nothing I wouldn't say to someone's face. Having played team sports for many years I have had my fair share of horror performances and I always found my team mates weren't slow in reminding me - all part of life's rich tapestry. We, of course, have to be mindful that not all people have the skins of rhinos like you & I. 
Sponsored Links

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 11:50am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

There is definitely more player and coaching personal bile on this forum and even more so on social media and from so called fans. Words like .. get rid of.. ship him out.. are just the nicer comments and worse of all the poster usually sees nothing wrong with their language and disrespect about our players. Its not just the Scarlets fans . It’s endemic in Rugby. It’s life 2022 unfortunately. Very sad . I’m probably getting old! 
No one deserves abuse I agree but you also have to be able to call out people who are not performing. That has been going on for decades whether in home , work, pubs, clubs or online. 
Problem with 'calling people out' is that those doing the calling out don't always know what their talking about. 

Wil's post made me stop and think and it made me realise that I've also felt a bit like that for a while.  I noticed it first after the Bristol game where there seemed to be very little empathy for our players or coaches even though they had gone through quite a gruelling time in SA and with a squad depleated of many of our top players. 

Calling people out whilst discussing with mates over a pint is one thing; it actually doesn't matter if your opinion is a load of ball hooks and there's very little harm done.  But I would caution people from being too vigorous with their criticism on any social media as it can have a negative effect on people.
And the thing is Rob you also can get sort of  sucked in the negativity a bit yourself as part of the culture. I am working on keeping a more objective view of things going forward . It’s not a nice way to think tbh
That is huge problem on here if you don’t agree with certain posters you are labelled as someone who knows nothing and can be subject to abuse.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion however wacky that is without abuse from fellow posters. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Criticism is not abuse . If people play or coach badly we must be allowed to say so, that is a key purpose of forums.  The litmus test for me is would i say what i post to some ones face and i alwAys try to apply that. Abuse swearing and threats are pathetic and is something i don’t do, but if i think some one is playing badly i”ll say so.  I have to admit to having a thick skin if people in the internet disagree with me or have a go at me i could care less, one of the benefits of not being a deep thinker i guessWink

Thats fair in my opinion RR. I try to use the same yardstick - write nothing I wouldn't say to someone's face. Having played team sports for many years I have had my fair share of horror performances and I always found my team mates weren't slow in reminding me - all part of life's rich tapestry. We, of course, have to be mindful that not all people have the skins of rhinos like you & I. 
In my opinion, it's all about respect.  If you show respect in your posts then you won't go far wrong.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 5:42pm

There is definitely more player and coaching personal bile on this forum and even more so on social media and from so called fans. Words like .. get rid of.. ship him out.. are just the nicer comments and worse of all the poster usually sees nothing wrong with their language and disrespect about our players. Its not just the Scarlets fans . It’s endemic in Rugby. It’s life 2022 unfortunately. Very sad . I’m probably getting old! 
No one deserves abuse I agree but you also have to be able to call out people who are not performing. That has been going on for decades whether in home , work, pubs, clubs or online. 
Problem with 'calling people out' is that those doing the calling out don't always know what their talking about. 

Wil's post made me stop and think and it made me realise that I've also felt a bit like that for a while.  I noticed it first after the Bristol game where there seemed to be very little empathy for our players or coaches even though they had gone through quite a gruelling time in SA and with a squad depleated of many of our top players. 

Calling people out whilst discussing with mates over a pint is one thing; it actually doesn't matter if your opinion is a load of ball hooks and there's very little harm done.  But I would caution people from being too vigorous with their criticism on any social media as it can have a negative effect on people.
And the thing is Rob you also can get sort of  sucked in the negativity a bit yourself as part of the culture. I am working on keeping a more objective view of things going forward . It’s not a nice way to think tbh
That is huge problem on here if you don’t agree with certain posters you are labelled as someone who knows nothing and can be subject to abuse.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion however wacky that is without abuse from fellow posters. 
I must admit I haven't seen anything that I would call abuse on here. 
Could have missed it, of course.
We're still still here!
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Plenty of snideness from one or two. 
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Plenty of snideness from one or two. 
From my experience, I don't think that snideness is a trait exclusively confined to Scarlets fans.
Tony Clifton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 4:50pm
Frustrating that when we have a bad result the knives come out. Look I’ve been disappointed with quite a few results this season, but I genuinely think we’re on more of an upwards trajectory than a year ago. I am skeptical of our defence, but overall I’m seeing improvements on field, and a good few players have worked to make a name for themselves.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 5:05pm

If Scarlets were to swallow up the Ospreys? What a squad  they would have and there development pathway would be frightening!!! 🇹🇷🇹🇷🇹🇷
N14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

If Scarlets were to swallow up the Ospreys? What a squad  they would have and there development pathway would be frightening!!! 🇹🇷🇹🇷🇹🇷

True, but what you’re referring to is a Scarlets takeover. That’s essentially what almost happened a couple of years ago, by all accounts, but it didn’t happen and I don’t think it would this time either.
What I think is being proposed this time is a genuine merger. So it’s not scarlets swallowing up Ospreys’ squad or visa versa. It would presumably mean a total name change.

Also, whilst it’s a fascinating thought, the reality is that we wouldn’t have all of the Scarlets star players along with the Ospreys star players. The budget wouldn’t allow for that. Merging two regions would inevitably lead to some of our best talent leaving Wales, imo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic