Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ospreys v Scarlets on TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

Yup

Easterby was our head coach. He then decided to move to be a part of the Irish setup. Now it’s debatable whether it’s a step up or a sidewards step to go from being head coach of a pro club to be defence coach/forwards/attack coach etc. with a top international team. Nevertheless, there’s no doubt that going from Ireland defence coach to Scarlets defence coach would be a step backwards. Just not sure why he’d do it.
Sponsored Links

N14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Lezana still puzzles me. Works his socks off but then does 2 or 3 things that just suggest a bit of a challenge with rugby intelligence. In the yellow card period his entry in to the mauls served to help the O’s if anything…passive entry and from/to the wrong point. He then lets Webb easily cross the gain line and pop to Watkin to score despite not being part of the line-out, so actually he only had that job. Can’t figure it.

I’m not picking on him specifically, we had a few key things we got wrong or were out done…Elias hung off mauls for far too long too, Kalamfoni badly missed Watkin for the O’s 2nd try. Baldwin lost a foot race despite a 10 meter start but didn’t make it difficult for Giles by running him in an ark. O’ Brien over committed to intercept, he had to make it. Lake smoked Steff Thomas to set up the 1st try…and so on…

We make errors of biblical proportions in short succession. Blighted us all season.

I’m yet to be convinced by Lezana. Has the potential for sure but we’re yet to see consistency from him. Admittedly, with the season we’ve had it’s been difficult for anyone to consistently put in big performances, with the issues around Covid, injuries etc.

One of those who have managed it is Kal, but sadly he didn’t have his best game yesterday.
Another one who’s been great all season is Lousi - I say it after every game at the moment, but he’s a fantastic player. Probably my favourite Scarlet at the minute!
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Yup

Easterby was our head coach. He then decided to move to be a part of the Irish setup. Now it’s debatable whether it’s a step up or a sidewards step to go from being head coach of a pro club to be defence coach/forwards/attack coach etc. with a top international team. Nevertheless, there’s no doubt that going from Ireland defence coach to Scarlets defence coach would be a step backwards. Just not sure why he’d do it.

Family reasons ? His son(s) go to Ysgol Bro Morgannwg in Barry, and his wife is away most weekends, it seems, during the rugby season. He undoubtedly has a strong affinity with the Scarlets. He's done a very good job for Ireland, perhaps now he wants a different challenge.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 5:42pm
There were two instances in the second half of there being a. loose ball on the floor where our players tried to hack at it and missed instead of doing the basics like falling on the ball to secure possession. You are taught that at under 11 level. 
Now as a coach things like that must be so frustrating when possession is so vital in modern game. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 6:17pm

Lezana still puzzles me. Works his socks off but then does 2 or 3 things that just suggest a bit of a challenge with rugby intelligence. In the yellow card period his entry in to the mauls served to help the O’s if anything…passive entry and from/to the wrong point. He then lets Webb easily cross the gain line and pop to Watkin to score despite not being part of the line-out, so actually he only had that job. Can’t figure it.

I’m not picking on him specifically, we had a few key things we got wrong or were out done…Elias hung off mauls for far too long too, Kalamfoni badly missed Watkin for the O’s 2nd try. Baldwin lost a foot race despite a 10 meter start but didn’t make it difficult for Giles by running him in an ark. O’ Brien over committed to intercept, he had to make it. Lake smoked Steff Thomas to set up the 1st try…and so on…

We make errors of biblical proportions in short succession. Blighted us all season.
I’m yet to be convinced by Lezana. Has the potential for sure but we’re yet to see consistency from him. Admittedly, with the season we’ve had it’s been difficult for anyone to consistently put in big performances, with the issues around Covid, injuries etc.

One of those who have managed it is Kal, but sadly he didn’t have his best game yesterday.
Another one who’s been great all season is Lousi - I say it after every game at the moment, but he’s a fantastic player. Probably my favourite Scarlet at the minute!
That reminds me of Lousi in his first season. Lots of good play intercepted by mistakes and moments that make you want to tear your hair out. If he can kick on anything like Lousi it’ll be superb, but unfortunately that’s nowhere near guaranteed. 
N14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

That reminds me of Lousi in his first season. Lots of good play intercepted by mistakes and moments that make you want to tear your hair out. If he can kick on anything like Lousi it’ll be superb, but unfortunately that’s nowhere near guaranteed. 

You're right, and I hope we see similar progression with Lezana.
N14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Yup

Family reasons ? His son(s) go to Ysgol Bro Morgannwg in Barry, and his wife is away most weekends, it seems, during the rugby season. He undoubtedly has a strong affinity with the Scarlets. He's done a very good job for Ireland, perhaps now he wants a different challenge.

Family factors could certainly be a pull, but personally I can only see him returning to coach in Wales if it was a head coach role.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 7:31pm
Who is responsible for coaching how to stop a driving maul? Forward coach or defence coach? Just curious if anyone knows
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Who is responsible for coaching how to stop a driving maul? Forward coach or defence coach? Just curious if anyone knows

Forwards defensive coach 😁😁😁
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 11:26pm

No one if the last two games are anything to go byLOLCry
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 10:31am

I have never thought about it....It is very hard to stop a good maul, if the opposition set up correctly. Initially the easiest thing to do is not to contest & to smash them as soon as the jumper lands, the issue with this is you run the risk of hitting the jumper before he lands & then they get a penalty. Once set it becomes difficult as you need to get as low as possible & of course the attacking side are trying to do the same.

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 10:39am
One thing we do need to improve is our discipline, we have had 9 yellow cards this season, with the majority coming in the last few games!! 

According to the URC stats we have missed 362 tackles this season which is the worst amount in the league, though we have made a league high number of tackles with 2798!

Edited by Fscarlet - 03 May 2022 at 10:40am
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

One thing we do need to improve is our discipline, we have had 9 yellow cards this season, with the majority coming in the last few games!! 

According to the URC stats we have missed 362 tackles this season which is the worst amount in the league, though we have made a league high number of tackles with 2798!

I'd like to see improvements in the following areas,

1. reduction in injury list
2. better discipline
3. fewer missed tackles
4. better maul defence
5. better game management
6. be even more clinical in opponents 22m, especially when we kick to the corner for a 5m lineout. All too often we mess up the lineout. In those circs, front ball for a quick win and a quick maul set up.
Realwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Realwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 10:18pm
Generally there are 2 main ways to defend a lineout drive. But it’s bloody hard you need to be physical, organised and hardworking for both.

The first push at an angle out to touch Wales have done very well at this when under Sean Edwards 

The second use a reverse arrow wide at the front and narrow at the back put lots of weight into the counter drive and if a defender becomes ineffective he has to work his arse off to get back onside.

Once the drive gets going you are pretty much In the dark stuff, most of the time it’s worth keeping 15 on the pitch 

Another way to stop it is for a single player to sack the recipient of the lineout straight away

scarletpimp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I'd like to see improvements in the following areas,

1. reduction in injury list
2. better discipline
3. fewer missed tackles
4. better maul defence
5. better game management
6. be even more clinical in opponents 22m, especially when we kick to the corner for a 5m lineout. All too often we mess up the lineout. In those circs, front ball for a quick win and a quick maul set up.

I think the above comments are spot on. You cannot win games games with poor discipline !!
Regarding tackles, agree, but when sides, even dragons, have more possession than you , you are going to have to make more tackles. which is where better game management comes in !
I stood yer on tanner bank
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

Generally there are 2 main ways to defend a lineout drive. But it’s bloody hard you need to be physical, organised and hardworking for both.

The first push at an angle out to touch Wales have done very well at this when under Sean Edwards 

The second use a reverse arrow wide at the front and narrow at the back put lots of weight into the counter drive and if a defender becomes ineffective he has to work his arse off to get back onside.

Once the drive gets going you are pretty much In the dark stuff, most of the time it’s worth keeping 15 on the pitch 

Another way to stop it is for a single player to sack the recipient of the lineout straight away

If I was the lineout leader, whoever that is for us, I would ask the ref if he is happy for us not to engage in the maul, i.e. when the attacking jumper hits the floor we take a step backwards away from them. It's a bit of a niche law but will make the opposition think about forming a maul every time. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic