Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pension Riots in France

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2023 at 11:07am
The enthusiasm of the French to protest is legendary. Unfortunately this protest, as others before, seems to be taking a fairly predictable path. Genuine, peaceful protesters are infiltrated by extremists ( I do not attempt to differentiate between left/right) & may end up in someone suffering serious injury or god forbid worse. 
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2023 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

The enthusiasm of the French to protest is legendary. Unfortunately this protest, as others before, seems to be taking a fairly predictable path. Genuine, peaceful protesters are infiltrated by extremists ( I do not attempt to differentiate between left/right) & may end up in someone suffering serious injury or god forbid worse. 

You are not wrong, unfortunately. The French are very willing to protest vigorously and in numbers (which is good), but the protests are invariably infiltrated by a significant number - though a minority - of hooligans who just want a fight and to break things. (On the other side, the riot police - CRS - are a very violent bunch not given to caring overmuch if they are bashing a 'casseur' on the head, or a peaceful protester. I got gassed twice by the CRS, and I wasn't protesting or anywhere near the action!)

The British are the exact opposite: supine in the face of dreadful governments who are simply taking the pi**. Most would not go anywhere near a march or protest unless told to do so by the UK equivalent of 'Fox News', of Congress invasion fame in the USA. 
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2023 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

You are not wrong, unfortunately. The French are very willing to protest vigorously and in numbers (which is good), but the protests are invariably infiltrated by a significant number - though a minority - of hooligans who just want a fight and to break things. (On the other side, the riot police - CRS - are a very violent bunch not given to caring overmuch if they are bashing a 'casseur' on the head, or a peaceful protester. I got gassed twice by the CRS, and I wasn't protesting or anywhere near the action!)

The British are the exact opposite: supine in the face of dreadful governments who are simply taking the pi**. Most would not go anywhere near a march or protest unless told to do so by the UK equivalent of 'Fox News', of Congress invasion fame in the USA. 
A “casseur” translates as someone who breaks things, as my knowledge recollects. Is there any other translation, Aber?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2023 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

A “casseur” translates as someone who breaks things, as my knowledge recollects. Is there any other translation, Aber?

No idea, but it's what the French call these idiots who try to turn any peaceful protest into a riot. Can't think of an exact British equivalent.

In the meantime, over 'ere the government are attempting to turn peaceful protesters into criminals, on top of their decades of legislation making it harder for unions to call strikes - despite which, we now have doctors and nurses striking for the first time ever - or for a very long time (I'm not sure which). 'Repressive' doesn't begin to cover it - no wonder many lawyers are refusing to prosecute people charged under this new law. I suppose the next thing will be that the government will begin appointing the judges...
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Interesting to see that the riot police have removed their helmets and are sideing with the protestors....Nice to see 
so where and when did this happen there’s no actual news report of this anywhere?
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 8:06pm

No idea, but it's what the French call these idiots who try to turn any peaceful protest into a riot. Can't think of an exact British equivalent.

In the meantime, over 'ere the government are attempting to turn peaceful protesters into criminals, on top of their decades of legislation making it harder for unions to call strikes - despite which, we now have doctors and nurses striking for the first time ever - or for a very long time (I'm not sure which). 'Repressive' doesn't begin to cover it - no wonder many lawyers are refusing to prosecute people charged under this new law. I suppose the next thing will be that the government will begin appointing the judges...
in recent years the cps have always had the say on who does or doesn’t get prosecuted

Edited by RR1972 - 27 March 2023 at 8:07pm
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 10:37pm
Now it seems to be Murdock , ultimately 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

in recent years the cps have always had the say on who does or doesn’t get prosecuted

Oh, I am well aware - but the repressive nature of the current UK government is edging towards a Israel-style move for them to appoint the judges. (Remember the 'Enemies of the People' headline in the Daily Mail? That is the road to dictatorship.)

As for prosecutors, we are now in a position - as I said - where the government are bringing in laws to make peaceful protestors into CRIMINALS. This is unacceptable. As a prominent lawyer has written:

Like big tobacco, the fossil fuel industry has known for decades what its activities mean. They mean the loss of human life and property, which the civil law should prevent but does not. The scientific evidence is that global heating, the natural and inevitable consequence of its actions, will cause the deaths of huge numbers of people. The criminal law should punish this but it does not. Nor does the law recognise a crime of ecocide to deter the destruction of the planet. The law works for the fossil fuel industry – but it does not work for us.

Sometimes the law is wrong. What it stands for is the opposite of justice. Today’s history books speak with horror about what the law of yesterday did, of how it permitted racism, rape and murder. And tomorrow’s history books will say the same about the law as it stands today, of how it enabled the destruction of our planet and the displacement of billions of people.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/24/100-lawyers-prosecute-climate-protesters-laws-planet-criminalise

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 5:06pm
Is he the same guy that beat a fox to death with a base ball bat and put it all over social media? Lovely fella . The displacement of billions of people? The uk contributes less than 2 per cent of glocal hot air gasses if we went carbon neutral it won’t change a thing globallly tbh in short that prominent lawyer is vastly over egging the impact any law in the uk would have re climate chamges. He should he looking towards asia and south america if he really wants to make a difference. I’m constantly amazed how people like him are able to ignore actual facts and put out hyperbolic statements with out being challenged and i’m no climate  change denier but unless we tackle the big polluters all this posturung by joey boy and co is meaningless. Prey tell us joylon  how this will stop fossel fuel use in india or china? Etc

Edited by RR1972 - 28 March 2023 at 6:33pm
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 7:10pm

Prey tell us joylon  how this will stop fossel fuel use in india or china? Etc

As I'm sure you realise, we in the UK are not in a position to do much about those countries... we can only do our bit - or not, as the case may be.

In any case, the law which is proposed is not one which can only be applied to climate protesters. It could be used against ANY group seeking to cause disruption by peaceful and non-violent means... so your focus on climate change only is a bit of a red herring. I can see how you may have been misled by the article, though.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 8:37pm
I’m not overly familiar with the bill so plesse feel to expand. The article was focussing on climate change which is way i commented on that part of it so not so much of a red herring more answering the point raised in the article I’m not defending the bill just pointing out that on a global scale joly and boys stance will have zero inpact, i thought he was mainly a tax lawyer? Does he do much prosecuting of public order offences then? Anyhow I ll await further info on this new law

Edited by RR1972 - 28 March 2023 at 8:42pm
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 10:20pm

Prey tell us joylon  how this will stop fossel fuel use in india or china? Etc

As I'm sure you realise, we in the UK are not in a position to do much about those countries... we can only do our bit - or not, as the case may be.

In any case, the law which is proposed is not one which can only be applied to climate protesters. It could be used against ANY group seeking to cause disruption by peaceful and non-violent means... so your focus on climate change only is a bit of a red herring. I can see how you may have been misled by the article, though.

I can understand  RR 's point about India /China with regard to their fossil fuel emissions. 
Aber-fan,  however is spot on by saying that we 'have to do pour bit'.
Anyone watching Attenborough' s latest series, will be alarmed as I am,  to see him draw our attention  to the fact that he UK is only the worst nature depleted countries.  The destruction of natural habitats & the population  of wildlife decline across the board, with many species  facing possible extinction .
Intensive and intensive  farming is no soley, but has played a major part.
What  legacy are we passing on to our children and their children.
We are literally  at a cross roads, and in the last chance saloon.

We cannt lecture India, China,  or anyone else, unless we get our own house in order.
This is why the WAG decision to shelve new roadbuilding was a massive step in the right direction. Current inafixtures projects should still go ahead to improve  what is already in place , together with improvements  to public transport. 
There should be a total ban on plastic bags in outlets.
People would learn to bring their own reusable bags, which I never do to the supermarket  without
People have to do more to ensure we make a difference, even if it's in a small way. 
I stood yer on tanner bank
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2023 at 7:46am
Climate change is a World problem and needs global action. To date there has been a lot of talk about targets but very little on the ground action. Please correct me anyone as I will admit to a limited knowledge here. From my own little village I see opportunities for long term planning being wasted. I will cite one example. My best mate decided to move into a house 4 doors down from us. The property needed extensive modernisation but despite his best efforts no real help was forthcoming from government agencies which resulted in him fitting a new oil boiler.

I know one of the people posting on this thread will have a lot more knowledge in this field of solar & alternative heating systems so it would be great to have his input - over to you Rob of Bont!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2023 at 7:57am
Aber has brought up an important topic with regard to peaceful protest. It is surely a fundamental right in a free democracy for citizens to take to the streets to protest peacefully about something they clearly feel strongly about. I believe the police already have the powers to step in should things get out of hand.

For instance not that long ago we had protests in Bristol regarding the involvement of Edward Colston in historic charitable donations funded, in part, by his involvement in the slave trade. To my knowledge, & I again stand to be corrected, no charges were brought against the people who tore down his statue & threw it in the harbour. Is that action not getting out of hand????

Surely consistency in decisions/actions by the law makers and law enforcers is what is needed not more power for the state over law abiding citizens. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2023 at 8:12am
i don't condone anything but we would still be paying the poll tax now if we'd have marched with placards and just chanted sometimes things are so unfair it takes stronger action
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2023 at 8:59am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

i don't condone anything but we would still be paying the poll tax now if we'd have marched with placards and just chanted sometimes things are so unfair it takes stronger action

I hear what you are saying Nigel but where do we draw the line - setting fire to the public offices in Bordeaux??? Its a tough one & I certainly don't have the answers. Without a shadow of doubt there would not be Northern Ireland peace agreement if the IRA had only protested peacefully nor bi-lingual Welsh signs if some holiday homes had not been destroyed. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic