Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Phil Evans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phil Evans
    Posted: 01 July 2022 at 2:02am
In days gone by, I used to get the "Llanelli Star", regularly. My first memories , the office, was in Murray St, then moved to upper Station Rd, and in more recent times in Cowell St. 
Years ago, the paper was even printed in Llanelli. Those were the good old days, when Barrie Thomas was the correspondent, and sports editor. He was a big loss for Llanelli, both as a journalist and a great guy !
Contrast to now, no office in town, all online, and to be honest the "Star" seems like another satellite of the awful.. "Wales Online, and "Wales on Sunday"/"Western Snail" ..all linked.

Today however, I bought the "Star", motivated by pics and a double page spread of Benny's memorial service.
Maybe , I shouldn't be surprised, but I was shocked to read an article in this edition by Phil Evans, entitled "This games ,no match for me".
In the article Mr Evans, suggests that the BBC has an obsession with rugby, and not everyone in Wales likes the game.
Central to his argument, he pointed to the fact that(without mentioning Benny's name|) he couldn't believe the on the day of his death BBC wales tonight programme, devoted an entire first half to his passing, relegating, in his view, two other powerful stories, which could have been lead articles. 
He concludes..."That it wasn't, is due to the assumption that the entire population of wales, is interested in rugby"

I would be one of the first to admit , even as a devoted Scarlet, that there is life outside rugby, far more important, even if it it doesn't involve your family.
We have had awful news stories  recently, both from Ukraine, and here in Wales, like the death of Cameron Mwangi, in Bridgend, at the hands of his mother and stepfather. It was was gut-wrenching
& heart-breaking. People finding it hard to manage in the current financial climate, particularly in parts of Wales suffering social deprivation, here in Llanelli, is another newsworthy topic

The news on Phil Bennett's death was massive, particularly to us here in west wales.
We haven't got to justify ourselves to clowns like Phil Evans, allegedly a comedian?
Well it looks as if his talents have nothing to do with comedy.
If he did his research properly, he would realise, that Phil Bennetts influence stretched far and beyond the rugby field of his playing days.
You only have to listen to Jonathan  Davies (jiffy), talking of Phil's kindness, and help with his career. We have then so many instances of charities , when Benny, could never say NO to , it was always YES.
He inspired so many people to be the best they could be , yet despite being an international figure, always remained humble and true to himself, and a man totally imbedded in his local community, & in particular, his beloved Felinfoel, for which would do ANYTHING !!

For the "Llanelli Star" to print such an article, on the day when they themselves had, covered his funeral (in the same edition), smacked of  huge insensitivity.

I an not interested on Phil Evans views on Rugby,  and I don't want to hear the line " he's only just "expressing his own opinions".
That article was printed in a LLANELLI paper, at a time when a lot of people,  Phil 's family, and the local community were grieving for an icon of Welsh, British  and international sport.
More importantly, to us, a much loved local boy, a husband, father, grandfather, and friend to all.
One must questions the wisdom of the editor, James Arnott, approving such an article, and I am not one for censorship at all , but just a little show of  respect and sensitivity.

Needless to say , I for one, won't be buying this rag again  !!

I stood yer on tanner bank
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2022 at 5:46am
Good post, that article is  needless  it”s also insensitive so soon after phil’s passing and could be hurtful to his family. Mr evans should stick to what he knows best telling rubbish jokes the pound shop rhod gilbert

Edited by RR1972 - 01 July 2022 at 5:51am
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2022 at 7:39am
I was in school with him from primary through comp and for a guy who was in the bottom class throughout school he has done well for himself with a successful insurance company in Ammanford over the last 38 years,i don't agree with what he said but he is actually a decent bloke.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic