Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pivac backed Scarlets-Ospreys merger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2023 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Originally posted by townboy townboy wrote:

Pivac also thought Parks could play 10
Pivac was fantastic for us. Under him we were one of the best teams in Europe. 
Wasn’t having a go at his time with us,just pointing out that a Merger wasn’t really going to happen,like wise with Parks playing at 10
Sponsored Links

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2023 at 8:18pm

Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Pivac also thought Parks could play 10
Pivac was fantastic for us. Under him we were one of the best teams in Europe. 
Wasn’t having a go at his time with us,just pointing out that a Merger wasn’t really going to happen,like wise with Parks playing at 10
it would have been a take over in all but name. All history now of course for now anyway 😉
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2023 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Tony Clifton Tony Clifton wrote:

https://twitter.com/jnphillips4/status/1626995306490372099?s=61&t=wqFomLbyrBDPcVPT8kOKPg

‘I thought the (Ospreys-Scarlets) merger was going to be a great thing for Welsh rugby and then bring north Wales in. That was the personal view. It wasn’t to be. It was very, very close.’

Says the man that left us high and dry with a mouth-watering offer from the WRU to take the Wales job after Gats had already laid the foundations of the most successful Wales manager ever LOL
Two years down the line, and after a poo stint, he's been found out, and comes out with comments like this LOLLOLLOL

All the best Wayne, we all thought you were a genuine Scarlet, but you jumped the ship at the first opportunity, and then you drove straight into a brick WRU wall LOL
Scarlets!!!
Mrfwon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mrfwon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2023 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

The only game in Welsh rugby is the Turks v Jack's.....over 100 years of intense rivalry which is the NO 1 game in Wales.

Cardiff v Newport come on...boring.

To suggest to eliminate this game would be the genuine demise of rugby and its true history in this Country.

100% agree with what you are saying, but truth be known, this one game won't save Welsh rugby going forward. If this game generated the revenue equivalent to the Super Bowl, I'd back it 100%.....however, it doesn't, and won't save Welsh rugby.

Welsh regional rugby as it currently stands is unable to generate enough income to be self sufficient, enough so, that it doesn't rely on the income from the WRU.
Until our regions are in a position where we're self-sufficient/self-sustainable, and aren't reliant on benefactors or WRU income, we're going to be having these same conversations in 5 years time......if we're still here that is.
Scarlets!!!
Huwbach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huwbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 12:00am
I wouldn’t be against some sort of super team to thrash the pants off Leinster in Europe, even if only for a few years until we make some coin 😁

But seriously the financial situation can’t be fixed quickly. We are playing well, the ground has good atmosphere but we seriously need to generate more income. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Sir Duckling Tuft Sir Duckling Tuft wrote:

Why havent the scarlets made any profit since arriving at the parc? Is it all down to the WRU or are there things we could and should be doing better too? The first thing that springs to mind is far more events at the stadium

For sure the Scarlets & lets face it most clubs could do better. However bearing in mind the financial constraints post covid in addition to the total lack of support & forward planning of the WRU I have to say that my visit on Saturday was top quality. i was very fortunate to have been a guest in the Quinnell lounge pre & post game and the whole day's event was very well presented & professionally run. 
pillory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pillory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 9:09am
PRB/WRU is asking the regions to simply do better at commercial.
But getting the skills who can connect you to major businesses, reinvent the marketing plan etc itself requires investment.
Chicken and egg situation. I'd expect to see the WRU, being a much larger organisation, in many more networks, take on/share some commercial capability for the regions.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 10:08am
There’s a lot more we could do in terms of personalised digital marketing. I know that professionals in that field have pitched it to the club and might do so again, but the club has been very risk averse in the past. The attractiveness of the product with 9000+ in the Parc is increased for everyone. Spectators, sponsors, TV audiences etc.
If anything happens to the Os, we simply have to invest in marketing to the casual fans and businesses in the area.
And we have to professionalise our retail marketing. If only to say we’ve tried it!
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 10:12am
If the regions had better kick off times and more Accessto
Their best players they could do better commercially. The wru refusal to release players who have played literally no rugby for the last few weeks is a diagrace

Edited by RR1972 - 20 February 2023 at 10:14am
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 10:28am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

If the regions had better kick off times and more Accessto
Their best players they could do better commercially. The wru refusal to release players who have played literally no rugby for the last few weeks is a diagrace

Totally agree...the Scarlets get their international players for a few games a season and for me it's absolute tosh...its Gatland saying their mine and my my my players and you can't have them...its been like this for years.....and then the WRU have the audacity to suggest to get our marketing right...JUST FICK OFF WRU.

The attraction of seeing the international players playing for their club side is always a selling point.....its a fact of life I want and you want to see the best players possible.....I don't get this non release of Welsh players and the excuse of don't want them injured....so I will say it again eff off WRU and Gatland.....the one thing I've learnt watching rugby is match fitness and match hardness and having the successful teams play regularly with the same players week in week out. The Scarlets of 92 had more or less the same 15 week in week out with a few tweets for injury, the Welsh teams of the 70s who worked and played for Wales and were incredibly successful must look at the way the Welsh squad are claimed, contained and restricted to their clubs as a bit of a laugh and sums up the WRU as they own the players.....

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

There’s a lot more we could do in terms of personalised digital marketing. I know that professionals in that field have pitched it to the club and might do so again, but the club has been very risk averse in the past. The attractiveness of the product with 9000+ in the Parc is increased for everyone. Spectators, sponsors, TV audiences etc.
If anything happens to the Os, we simply have to invest in marketing to the casual fans and businesses in the area.
And we have to professionalise our retail marketing. If only to say we’ve tried it!
if the ospreys do go through i would guess their fans and sponsors  would either walk away from the game and support the swans or go to support their local grass roots or semi pro side. If anything i’d guess they would support any body but the scarlets and any otger remaining regions. A merger would be a different matter but that is a whole different can of worms
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Mrfwon Mrfwon wrote:

Originally posted by Tony Clifton Tony Clifton wrote:

https://twitter.com/jnphillips4/status/1626995306490372099?s=61&t=wqFomLbyrBDPcVPT8kOKPg

‘I thought the (Ospreys-Scarlets) merger was going to be a great thing for Welsh rugby and then bring north Wales in. That was the personal view. It wasn’t to be. It was very, very close.’

Says the man that left us high and dry with a mouth-watering offer from the WRU to take the Wales job after Gats had already laid the foundations of the most successful Wales manager ever LOL
Two years down the line, and after a poo stint, he's been found out, and comes out with comments like this LOLLOLLOL

All the best Wayne, we all thought you were a genuine Scarlet, but you jumped the ship at the first opportunity, and then you drove straight into a brick WRU wall LOL
Come on , be fair -what coach in their right mind would baulk at the idea of the range and quality of players available from a Scarless take over of the Ospreys as that is what it would have been. I heard it from Nigel himself our then Chairman who was plainly delighted by the steal. Sadly it came to nothing. Hopefully the waning Luddite view of “over my dead body”  will soon be irrelevant if Ospreys back into the rich Ealing club and be better funded . We clearly have too many regions to be funded by the WRU. 

Edited by reesytheexile - 20 February 2023 at 12:16pm
sospanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sospanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 11:10am
I read a great deal on here about "WRU income", "WRU funding", "WRU money". Let's not forget, take away regional players and that will be irrelevant - apart from "WRU hotel income/debt".
Ymlaen Llanelli Scarlets
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by sospanman sospanman wrote:

I read a great deal on here about "WRU income", "WRU funding", "WRU money". Let's not forget, take away regional players and that will be irrelevant - apart from "WRU hotel income/debt".

I totally agree. The WRU audited accounts have a note explaining the more than doubled level of debt, attributing £50M of this debt to the money borrowed to build the hotel.
They have also spoken recently about the pressure they are under to reduce their level of debt. And in another press release spoken about the cost of servicing debt, including repayments and interest at just under £5M per annum. Which coincidently is pretty much what they are saying they need to reduce the funding of the regions by.
I really hope the Scarlets board are challenging them on these points. The obvious solution seems to be, to sell the hotel to clear the debt and then focus on their core business product, which is rugby!
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

Originally posted by sospanman sospanman wrote:

I totally agree. The WRU audited accounts have a note explaining the more than doubled level of debt, attributing £50M of this debt to the money borro
Theywed to build the hotel. have also spoken recently about the pressure they are under to reduce their level of debt. And in another press release spoken about the cost of servicing debt, including repayments and interest at just under £5M per annum. Which coincidently is pretty much what they are saying they need to reduce the funding of the regions by.
I really hope the Scarlets board are challenging them on these points. The obvious solution seems to be, to sell the hotel to clear the debt and then focus on their core business product, which is rugby!
Didn't Nigel Walker categorically state that not a penny of WRU money go into the building of the hotel?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

if the ospreys do go through i would guess their fans and sponsors  would either walk away from the game and support the swans or go to support their local grass roots or semi pro side. If anything i’d guess they would support any body but the scarlets and any otger remaining regions. A merger would be a different matter but that is a whole different can of worms

We could have a core of SF forum members taking turns to sit in a little public relations kiosk just over the Loughor Bridge with the sign “ All is forgiven.The Scarlets welcome all old Ospreys fans ” pinned above it ? It would be very popular with the Jacks I imagine 😉😂
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic