Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Principality Match Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Principality Match Day
    Posted: 25 November 2021 at 9:58am
It appears that even the WRU will now have to act in light of the hugely damaging publicity over the Autumn games. I cannot speak from personal experience as its been many years since I attended. I do recall Aber, many years ago, detailing the nonsesne he and his wife had to tolerate which ended their attendances. 

What should happen? Would closing all bars 15 minutes before kick off for the duration of the game help in solving this issue?
Sponsored Links

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 10:10am
Ive been loads of times you get the odd idiot but it’s not as bad as the wol make out.  If you get 75k people anywhere the odd idiot will always act up, they can start by getting 230 kick offs limiting the time people have in the bars pre match. Maybe have a family section where no alcholol is allowed during the game

Edited by RR1972 - 25 November 2021 at 10:11am
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 10:18am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Ive been loads of times you get the odd idiot but it’s not as bad as the wol make out.  If you get 75k people anywhere the odd idiot will always act up, they can start by getting 230 kick offs limiting the time people have in the bars pre match. Maybe have a family section where no alcholol is allowed during the game

Limiting kick off time is a non starter with TV schedules. There is apparently a non drinking section already. It does appear that this is more than the odd idiot. I remember attending Twickenham for a Heineken semi final & there were a row of thirty somethings in front of my wife & I who left their seats in turns every 15-20 minutes to collect drinks. They would have been lucky to see 30 minutes of the game. I just do not understand the mentality of paying £50-£100 for a match and spending it drinking at the expense of viewing - perhaps I am just getting old. 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 11:45am
Why are wales always the 17.30 kick off though? Seems weird we had 3 out of 4 and the other was a sunday.  I have a few pints before the game and a few durung the game, i’m not abusive or confrontinal and i don’t get up for a pee every 5 minutes (well not yet lol)
Owen111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Owen111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 12:48pm
I dont understand why they expect any different. The stadium is bang in the centre of a city centre with 2 universities and a rugby mad booze mad public with about 100+ drinking venues in a 300m radius.

They will never ban alcohol sales due to the £££. Closing the bars early would get people on their seats throughout the game but may get more tanked before. 

Just open up more alcohol free zones 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 6:16pm
the trouble is the more beer they sell the more profit they make but having someone vomit over one of your children it's a wonder that violence isn't the issue.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 7:00pm
My old man was at the Australia game and said it was the worst he’d ever encountered. He did only go because he was surprised tickets were just £45, but he said the couple next to him got up for about 5-6 rounds of pints (so 10-12 between them) during the game. And then starting having an arguement with people behind them, then eventually tipped half a beer over my Dad. 

He said there were lots of really drunk people around him in a way that there’s not usually. 

I had thought a lot of the talk about it being the worlds largest pub we’re overblown and sort of a legacy of the last 18 months of curtain twitching “how dare they have fun!” - but I’ve got to say there must be more to it than that and it’s damaging the reputation of the millennium and clearly the match day experience. 

Edited by dyniol53 - 25 November 2021 at 7:01pm
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

the trouble is the more beer they sell the more profit they make but having someone vomit over one of your children it's a wonder that violence isn't the issue.

Well I think that’s next right, if they don’t do anything about it. There are reports of fights in the ground but never seen one myself. 

Pitch invader —> vomiting on children —> fights breaking would seem a natural progression. 

As you say if they shut the bars they lose money and people get smashed beforehand. 

I thought maybe they should put the prices of drinks up to £10 with a happy hour 30 mins before the game, but probably the same outcome, people getting smashed before. 

Another alternative is tokens with your ticket - can only get max 4 drinks with the token on your ticket. This would allow groups of 4 to still do “rounds” but capped at 4 so less getting up and down.

Another is to expand the no-alcohol section. I think this is a pretty good idea tbh. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2021 at 1:04am
could they stop selling booze during the match in certain parts of the stadium
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2021 at 1:17am
Seeing as it is just a money making exercise, just add the money lost onto the cost of the ticket and don't sell alcohol. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic